Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staff not wearing mask properly

Options
  • 19-09-2021 12:35am

Are staff in takeaway chipper who do not cover nose with mask as well as mouth in breach of any law?

i was made aware of such a place where some staff don't wear the mask properly but there is a glass partition between them and customer. Still are they not breathing on the food? I have seen it in certain supermarket too, the staff member is behind a glass but so is the food they are scanning

I am just curious, not seeking advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

If there is a glass partition or the staff member can maintain a 2 meter distance then there is no requirement for staff members to wear a mask under the temporary COVID regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Yes, once there is a screen separating them from you.

Post edited by GM228 on

Masks don't work as well as you think. Don't get yourself worked up about particulars. Masks that have been in use in Irish hospitals the passed two years have just been recalled as they are not fit for medical use.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,169 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Time the masks were gotten rid of their day is done, vaccines are the only show in town and they have been administered to all who want them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Air filtration is certainly a big factor, as is social distancing, shock horror, and,no, vaccination is not the panacea you incorrectly feel it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,671 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Are you aware of any evidence of Covid-19 being transmitted via food? (I'm not, but am open to hearing of any). If there is, then that would be a basis for a law.

There are other diseases which are transmitted via food, for sure. But we weren't required to use masks to prevent their transmission before Covid=19, and I'm not aware of any changes since.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

In My local chipper none of the staff wear masks and I believe this, primarily due to the obvious distance between them and customers. Most if not all chippers / takeaways and naturally seperated by equipment, fryers, display units etc. There is a seperate payment area and this has a perspex partition.

( I suppose one could argue, should they not be considering their own close contact, there was 5 working in quite a tight space, that's another argument I guess)

Covid mask wearing guidelines , nor food preparation regulations require food prep / handling personnel to wear face masks, however food service staff (waiters/waitresses etc) are required due to close contact with customers.

I actually asked a staff member in a mobile phone yesterday (more out of curiosity) are they not required to wear masks as none were wearing one at their stations ( all had perspex screening), he said no, whilst at their their stations (Tills, computers) but absolutely when they are on shop floor, seemed reasonable to me.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The idea that if masks don’t work 100% we should nor use them is simply wrong. Masks do help in preventing the spread of the virus, just as vaccines help prevent you getting the virus but the do ensure that in most cases you avoid hospitalization. When nothing is 100% safe, you reduce risks by combining methods. The vaccine Will hopefully prevent or reduce your risk of catching it and wearing a mask on public transport etc will reduce your chance of spreading it.

And yes do get worked up about not wearing masks because it is a visible sign of their neglect of concern for their customers. And if they show such little concern when serving you, can you really have confidence in food preparation etc that goes on out of sight?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I do generally agree with your points and feel mask wearing is an essential tool, just in relation to having confidence re food preparation behind the scenes.

i spent many, many years working as a Chef and indeed management in the hospitality sector. Gloves absolutely encouraged with certain food preparation, indeed very strict HAACP regulations introduced.

Masks however were never worn or required pre pandemic, only hair and Beard nets. I'm not saying masks in kitchens is a bad idea , just pointing out they were never really used or considered pre pandemic. I would have however say any work place that has space limitations, very close contact (Kitchens generally) should perhaps consider mask wearing. Just a humble opinion mind you 😏

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Unless the mask is donned and dofted correctly then it's just optics and for the vast majority of people wearing masks is optics, since it's an aerosol virus the 2m distance is of no use. So you can think that a shop is doing good because the staff are wearing masks, but it's like the 100ml limit on planes, it makes people fell safe while not actually doing anything.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Perhaps it makes no difference to you, but if people are not making an effort in what you can see, then I just assume they would do the same out or worse out of sight and I take by custom else where.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

OP

If you not comfortable with setting don't go or use the service.

I'm not having a go at you but do what you are comfortable with. It appears they aren't breaking any laws etc so comes down to what you find acceptable or not.

I have not gone into shops where I saw Staff not adhering to the rules. I still won't eat indoors but that's my decision I'm not saying I'm right or wrong, I'm doing what I'm comfortable with.

Advertisement