Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mince Pies

Options
  • 07-09-2020 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

Hi

Sorry little early I know but want to practice.

Last Christmas I made mince pies, tasted lovely but they looked very messy.
    The top edge of the case is very uneven and the lid doesn't quite fit.
    The second batch as slightly better but most of them leaked.

I know the pastry is meant to be thin so that makes the smoothing of the edge bumpy.
    I went over the edge with the back of a teaspoon, but there has to be a quicker easier way!!

Does anyone have a tip for making the mince pies look more professional please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

ellejay wrote: »
    Hi

Sorry little early I know but want to practice.

Last Christmas I made mince pies, tasted lovely but they looked very messy.
    The top edge of the case is very uneven and the lid doesn't quite fit.
    The second batch as slightly better but most of them leaked.

I know the pastry is meant to be thin so that makes the smoothing of the edge bumpy.
    I went over the edge with the back of a teaspoon, but there has to be a quicker easier way!!

Does anyone have a tip for making the mince pies look more professional please?

They look lovely. I cannot wait until Christmas or Mince Pie season.

I find the pastry difficult so what I do are open ones. I cut out a little pastry star and leave that on top. Then dust with icing sugar. Much easier and pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭phormium

Your lids look a little small, I cut a circle that goes right out over the top of the lining pastry and sticks to the edge of it. Are you brushing the edge with water or egg to make it stick.

You don't want the pastry too thin either or it can be hard to get them out in one piece. If the filling is sloppy with a lot of liquid there is a greater risk of it boiling out.

I make my own mincemeat so can control the liquidity but if you are using jars some can be very watery, I would add some extra sultanas or even a little ground almonds can help thicken it so that there is not so much liquid to boil over.

Also I like to have a hole in the lid which helps with them not boiling over rather than a totally sealed in pie. I use the little star cutters and all sorts of little cutters to cut out a pattern from the top lid and then for some I just use the cut out as the top as some of my family like less pastry to filling ratio so that suits them!

Just a pic to show what I mean

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

phormium wrote: »
    Your lids look a little small, I cut a circle that goes right out over the top of the lining pastry and sticks to the edge of it. Are you brushing the edge with water or egg to make it stick.

You don't want the pastry too thin either or it can be hard to get them out in one piece. If the filling is sloppy with a lot of liquid there is a greater risk of it boiling out.

I make my own mincemeat so can control the liquidity but if you are using jars some can be very watery, I would add some extra sultanas or even a little ground almonds can help thicken it so that there is not so much liquid to boil over.

Also I like to have a hole in the lid which helps with them not boiling over rather than a totally sealed in pie. I use the little star cutters and all sorts of little cutters to cut out a pattern from the top lid and then for some I just use the cut out as the top as some of my family like less pastry to filling ratio so that suits them!

I made my own filling last year and I've a jar left over, that's what reminded me when I saw it!
    Thanks phormium, I don't think I left big enough holes in the middle.
    I used milk to brown them and stick the lid on.
    The lid needs to be bigger I think.
    I see your's have a serrated edge, they look very good.

Ancient scone cutters, I use the plain edge for scones and the only use for the serrated edge is mince pies or similar :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Can't be early too 😀😀. Be sorted by tomorrow. 6lbs of Delia's finest.

I bought the fruit for the cake and pudding yesterday. I’ve never tried making my own mincemeat. Any links to any recipes/tips?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I have used Delia Smith for as long as.......

Just Google it.....you'll find it that way I assume. I just use her book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

I used hettie potters suet free recipe from here:

Hettie Potters Suet-Free mincemeat.

250g soft, dark sugar

250ml medium-dry cider

1kg cooking apples, peeled cored, halved and quartered

½ teaspoon mixed spice

½ teaspoon ground cinnamon

250g currants

250g raisins

75g natural-coloured glace cherries, roughly chopped

*75g blanched almonds, finely chopped

Rind and juice of ½ lemon

90ml (6 x tablespoons) brandy

4 x 500g preserving jars (old jam jars)

*omit almonds for more fruit.

In a large saucepan, dissolve the sugar in the cider over a gentle heat. 

Roughly chop the apples and add them to the saucepan.

Add all the other ingredients except the brandy and simmer for 30 minutes or until everything looks pulpy.

Remove from heat and when it’s cooled a little stir in the brandy.

Spoon into sterilised jars.

This should make around 2kg.

Advertisement