Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is Quick Park Dublin Airport gone?

Options
  • 17-09-2021 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭

Tried to make a booking online for Quick Park Dublin Airport. No matter what combo of dates I use , out as far as mid October, it says "no more spaces available to book online".

There's an email address for them, but I just looked at their Facebook page, and the last entry seems to be 2019.

Anyone heard anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Last time I passed it there were bollards in front of it and it was completely closed up.

There is a dispute between Dublin Coach who operate quickpark and the landlord.

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/gannon-suing-firms-owned-by-transport-boss-39534644.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Whoops! Google reviews is full of people who booked and arrived at a closed car park. (ok, I saw about three 😊). Pity, it was great value and I used it a lot over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Thanks for the reply RosieJoe. I've driven past it a few times in the last couple of months, but never bothered to look.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes it's gone in its current form, I'd say once air traffic picks back up someone will reopen it. Too near the airport to get planning for housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭JoeCat

I can see the car park is still closed, so now Dublin airport has the monopoly. Unbelievable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Gannon homes own it. I think they go permission for a hotel IIRC.

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's up for sale for circa €70 million, tenders for purchase were to be in 2 weeks ago.

I'd love to crowd fund the purchase of it just to demolish the monopoly.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is permission for a hotel beside the Carlton, but you'd fit forty hotels on the carpark site. Its up for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭zg3409

I am amazed it was not opened asap as a car park, even short term until new building works started. It would be easier to sell an ongoing parking business than an empty lot.

I would have thought a coach or parking company would jump at the chance. The airport really increased parking fees when they knew there was no other real option.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It was a coach company that ran it before - getting shuttle drivers wouldn't be easy for even a well established firm these days.

The parking fees are basically the same as they always were, but with all the promotional discounts gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The parking is such a rip off now, that the bus, getting a lift or often even paying for a taxi can be a better option...

People are parking in housing estates in swords and getting busses and taxis to the airport much to the annoyance of locals who regularly see cars parked for weeks in crowded housing estates.

At points at peak times the long term was completely full, so even paying through the nose was not an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Even if the DAA long term car parks indicate that they are full, they will still take anyone who drives up (unlike QuickPark). What they typically do is ask 4x4 drivers to park on the grass verges and they also utilise the side of access roads for parking. When long term car park 3 is 'full', they can still squeeze hundred of more vehicles into it. If you are trying to book online and it says it's full, just drive up without a booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

It transpires that DAA bought this car park and some want this investigated for competition reasons.

It would be helpful if it were allowed operate while this investigation is taking place.

It

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

Ah good old Senator Gerry Craughwell. Gives out about the price of parking at the airport and then gives out about the DAA buying land to use as another carpark.

As far as I am aware, the DAA operates the red, green, blue and two short-term car parks, one each at T1 and T2. I have to say that I see them as the greatest rip-off that ever existed in this country with the costs of parking at Dublin Airport. The charges there are absolutely outrageous for people travelling out of the country.

If the price of parking his car at the airport is the greatest rip-off he has ever experienced then he has little to worry about.

It's a case of supply and demand and that eejit wants to send it off to the CCPC for "a process which could go in any direction and take any length of time" and then he wants to know what the DAA contingency plan is.

Acting Chairman (Senator Gerry Horkan): Is it fair to say the more places the DAA has, when talking about demand pricing, that the average price should fall?

Mr. Vincent Harrison: It would.

Mr. Kenny Jacobs: That is our intention. We do not want people this summer to have the issue of getting parking. We do not want anyone to have an issue in their heads about whether or not they are going to have an issue at security. We want to take these things off the table. It is supply and demand. If there is more capacity in the system, notwithstanding everything Senator Craughwell has said, regardless of who owns it, if there is more supply the price should come down. 

The price of parking shot up after quickpark closed, and at times the carpark was 100% booked out and full days in advance of things like bank holidays. They used to price match quickpark if booked in advance.

"Tiny" competitors exist such as nearby hotels with their own airport busses offering park at hotel for a week deals. There is also a lot of busses "direct" to airport from all over Ireland including Donegal for example.

The nearby Swords pavilions also offers an airport parking deal, mainly due to all car parks full at airport. They expect you to get public bus to airport and they lock up your car at night.

We really do need a competitor to Aer Rianta, they were full because they prevented their competitor from reopening?!.

They also probably have room to expand on other sites besides quickpark and chose quickpark over other options presumably to prevent someone else opening up there.

I think it's definitely a candidate for anti competitive practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Can you enlighten me on how DAA (its not Aer Rianta) prevented Quick Park from reopening ???

From what I know the operator didn't pay rent. Landlord repossessed and it was recently sold. DAA has absolutely no control or input whatsoever - but they are the preferred buyer and it should open before summer

They prevented anyone else from operating it by buying it themselves.

Someone else could have opened it in competition undercutting slightly like quickpark did in the past. Then DAA undercut or matched quickpark in the past if booked a few days in advance, but we're much higher last minute.

I reckon quickpark was a big money maker depending on the rent and cost of busses. It always seemed busy even off peak. They expanded the size multiple times.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭JoeCat

So, basically they forced Quick Park to close and now DAA wants a larger monopoly and buys Quick Park? Unbelievable...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭Allinall

Advertisement