Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin - Significant reduction in rents coming?

1626364656668»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Any landlord would have been mad to not raise it as much as possible at the time. For all they know they will never be able to raise it in the future.

So that was an unintended consequence of tenants - or was it. The government get 50% of the rises in rents :)

So you have tenants screwed, landlords screwed, and extra money in the government coffers.

No landlord can depend on anything in future. For all they know now some legislation will come in overnight to tax them 70% or not allow them to ever evict a non paying tenant.

How could anyone invest in that sort of climate. Investment needs clarity of the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭PommieBast

In the 3 years before RPZ I never had a rent rise. Afterwards the landlord even whinged about the agent rounding it to the nearest €10.

Rent controls fundamentally just kicked the can down the road. It only kept rents down for the few years of lag time it takes for people to exit the market, and the government wasted that breathing space.

• Somebody suggested on this or another thread that if landlords were somehow incentivised to keep same tenants long term that it might be a good idea, and I would agree that this should be explored, also with rights for landlord to get rid of genuinely bad tenants without too much trouble. It’s got to be good for both parties.

In the 3 years before RPZ I never had a rent rise. Afterwards the landlord even whinged about the agent rounding it to the nearest €10.

Rent controls fundamentally just kicked the can down the road. It only kept rents down for the few years of lag time it takes for people to exit the market, and the government wasted that breathing space.

My agent didn't do any rounding. I was in hysterics when I got one of the rent increases and it was €1408.06c

Caller: We're too rich for the housing list.

Joe: Me too

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Jmc25

Yes. At the moment there's no reward for good tenants and bad behaviour from tenants is not only protected from consequence but in many cases actively rewarded.

Protecting these tenants is of benefit to absolutely nobody except them, and perhaps the state, who would of course end up becoming the landlord of last resort.

Advertisement