Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas SFN appeal when leap card tagged out (instead of tag in), and machine display was broken.

Options
  • 16-09-2021 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I got Luas SFN. Wondering if anyone had similar scenario? and they decided to go for court summon?

I took Luas for onward journey, tagged my card. Reached destination, forgot to tag-out. After 15 mins, I started return journey and tagged-in my card. Machine display was broken, so I couldn't see if its was successful tag-in or not (I heard beep). I cross checked on another machine, it said "just validated".

Machine had actually tagged me out, instead of tag-in. I am not sure how could have found this, when machine display was broken.

My appeal has been rejected. I plan to go for court summon (instead of 45 euro fine) because not sure how I could have avoid this when machine display was broken.

Anyone faced similar situation?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

If the screen was broken and is not broken anymore than someone, somewhere will have a record of it being repaired and if you didn't report it then at some point someone else would have done to arrange the repair.

However the real issue is that you did not tag out your card and there are people who do this deliberately because they know within a short period they are going to hop back on the LUAS again and want to avoid paying for both journeys. This is a real source of fare evasion on LUAS and they probably believe this is what you have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

I've never faced this situation because I get off or switch carriages when the revenue protection goons appear. The day I'm caught (statistically highly likely, given the fact that I have to be lucky every time, while they only have to be lucky once), I'll pay the €45 fine, happy in the knowledge that I've saved a hell of a lot more than €45 over the years.

If I was you, I think I'd just pay the fine, especially if I made the mistake of not giving a false name and address. Less hassle than a trip to court, whatever the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,247 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You can check if you are tagged-in or not at the ticket machines.

That you checked on another validator is not going to help your case.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

And this folks, is why we can't have nice things.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Yep, making things a hell of a lot more awkward for the rest of us.

Thinking they know better than everyone else.

Plenty of them around as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

• Registered Users Posts: 6 randomuser1

Just for update, I paid my SFN. Didn't know, I could have checked at ticket machine. Thanks to Victor for this info (`You can check if you are tagged-in or not at the ticket machines.`). I only checked validator machine. When in doubt I generally cross check on another validator machine. Good to know, I can check on ticket machine as well.

Advertisement