Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the best piece of work or career advice you’ve ever received?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,832 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Work to live, never live to work.

do the job you were hired to do, nothing else, favors turn into full time responsibility and additional work quickly. That favor will be slow to be paid back...if ever.

every graveyard in the country is stacked full deep and high full of ‘hard workers’. If you are hired as a painter and decorator do your job, that job efficiently, effectively and well.. as efficiently and as well as you can with the resources they give you.... if the van you have been provided with breaks down... no matter what time you get to the job... you finish on time... don’t sacrifice your wellbeing, personal, health and family wellbeing because your employer can’t deliver their end of an agreement..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

I suppose "don't let the companies problems become your problems" is one that I have seen more and more as I go through my working life.

Some companies and managers are very good at putting the guilt on employees to get certain things done, getting extra work out of people, working weekends and doing two jobs at once etc. Usually it's good employees who suffer in these situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

Nobody is irreplaceable is my one.

I've done the crazy hours, and certainly I got thanks for it, and enjoyed it, but I wouldn’t do it again. It’s not worth it when you realise that you’ve plowed years into your job at the expense of your own real life because you think everything will break down if you don’t. It won’t!!

Also related is - learn to delegate! Probably one of the things I found most difficult to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 inconnu

Learn to say no!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

If you show up and do your job you are ahead of half of your competition

• Advertisement

"if you were hit by a bus tomorrow someone would be in your job next month"

Be 50% a good worker and 50% a good coworker

• Registered Users Posts: 2 inconnu

Nobody is indispensable. No matter who they are, they can be replaced. So don't try to make yourself indispensable by taking on extra work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

Keep your mouth shut. Your colleagues aren't your friends. Don't make enemies if you can avoid it. All obvious stuff.

In a corporate setting, social weight counts for more than skill/ hard work so either be charming or be quiet and inoffensive.

Live below your means if you can, to reduce your dependence on employers.

If you're negotiating pay or something else, you need to start a soft auction i.e. "This other company has just offered me €5,000 more". The other company could be imaginary. I'm not telling you to lie though - it's better to line up real offers and play them one against another.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

If you don't ask you don't get.

Applies to promotions, rises, perks, nicer roles.....

Obviously to be used sensibly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭jackboy

Be on time

Take your time

Leave on time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Remember, your colleagues are not your friends.

Don't go into catering.

From my father a chef

• Registered Users Posts: 11,622 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Brevity and Clarity in all things.

Treat your employees well and most of the time, things will take care of themselves. Be a leader and empower your employees to make decisions rather than having to run to you every time. A lot of people thrive when given responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭BhoyRayzor

And if that person was driving the bus it probably wasn't an accident!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

If you have to have a difficult conversation with a peer or subordinate, don't sit between them and the door

Best pieces of advice I got were:

1) Be an average worker, do what's needed and nothing more. Its impossible for work to fire you.

2) Work life balance is more important than money. In the door at 9AM and out by 5PM. If you can't get this move job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Not necessarily work related but:

"If you want to get smarter, don't be the smartest in the room"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

your just a mean to an end . just a number. they dont care about you any more than they have to . once you stop making them money they will drop you.

everyone is replacable and you will be replaced sooner or later.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Everyone lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Don't be loyal to an organisation be loyal to a person.

Don't break your balls making someone else rich.

The biggest bullsh*tters and biggest whiners are looked after, the ones that get on with things are just expected to keep doing it.

Yes I am cynical, but then again I have come across some absolute sh** managers and company owners in SMEs in Ireland that would walk over your corpse if it suited them.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Spiral Notebook

I work in construction design and one that stuck with me is "a person who never made a mistake never made anything".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭KaneToad

What if you work in the public sector and don't make money for your employer?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,274 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Never work directly alongside the person paying your wages. You will earn every cent

Take a role where the person/company paying your wages is based in a different country

Never work for an Irishman.

An Irishman will expect you to do what he wouldn't do himself, an Englishman will only expect you to do what he would do himself.

You're colleagues are not your friends. People's only true friend at work is their pay cheque

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Nope, but be careful of people who make such a claim....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Honesty is the road to poverty

Advertisement