Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

power from meter box

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The rules do not permit installing a distribution board in the meter cabinet to make it more convienient and cheaper to supply a garden shed! There is no "free for all" derogation when it is difficult or costly to complete electrical work properly.

A blatant breech of the rules such as this risks the installation being disconnected and not reconnected until it is proven to be compliant which could be very costly and difficult.

The most convenient solution is not always the best!

Post edited by 2011 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Hi 2011,

Just for my own edification, am I still correct in thinking that allowing EV's to be fed from a 'meter only' box will be primarily for the convenience. The point of the question in the first place was because I wondered was there some sort of safety reason to keep the EV circuits away from the general house stuff.

Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Hi Nick, I believe that you are correct it is permitted to supply an EV charging point from the meter box. My own view is that this is not ideal so I would not encourage it. However, although I no longer carry out any domestic electrical work my understanding is that the National Rules for Electrical Installations IS10101 permit this. Therefore REC's can't really be criticised for doing this.

This means that it is not possible to switch off or reset the protective device for the EV charging point from the main distribution board. It also deviates from what is generally regarded as standard practice.

Normally a basic electrical installation would be designed like this: ESB supply from the meter cabinet feeds the Main Distribution Board. Then the Main DB feeds final circuits and it may in some cases also feed a number of sub distribution boards. These sub distribution boards would then feed final circuits. So in the OP's case the sub distribution board would be installed in the garden shed and should be fed from the main DB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Thanks 2011.

Your description of the sub distribution exactly matches what was done in my mother's when she got a granny flat for herself off the main house. AND the logic of it jumps right out.

I like to have an appreciation of electrical practices, mainly to try to envisage the likely destruction 🤣 that things like kitchen redesign will incur. Mrs N wants a new kitchen next year, and will look for oven and hob and every gadget known to man , being catered for. When I start to tell her about the problems with getting the electricity into them, she thinks I'm being pessimistic. Its going to make for a very interesting thread.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Buffman

I was specifically referring to EV chargers getting a second CU installed at the meter.

Have a read of pages 6 & 7 as posted by someone else in the thread.

https://safeelectric.ie/contractors/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2021/03/MarchNewsletterSafeElecFinal-1.pdf

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Advertisement

Hi Buferman, apologies when I read your post in isolation to the post you were responding to it was not clear that you were specifically referring to EV chargers. However, now that I have read the post that you were responding to I see that your post was 100% correct.

My bad. 

The document you linked to aligns with my previous post.

Advertisement