Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Semi acoustic guitars

• 16-09-2021 9:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭

I am debating whether to get a semi acoustic guitar and would appreciate a little help.

Which well known artists might it be good to listen to to understand what can be achieved with this instrument?

Would Paul Brady be a good example ?(Does he mostly use a semi acoustic? Is this Arthur Mcbride performance semi acoustic or pure acoustic with a microphone?)

What about John Martyn? Would be pure electric?

Who else might there be to give me an idea of the sound to expect (Knopfler?,James Taylor?)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

serious can of worms!

for a start, there will be folk who will start a fight with you over whether semi-acoustic is a hollow body electric or an acoustic with a pickup.......

Electroacoustic will stop the haters!

honestly, no-one after about 1990 uses a mic on a guitar in a live setting. Studio, yes, but its just too vague and directional to be anywhere realistic.

Pickups all the way.

I've used under saddle piezos for the last 30 years. stable, minimal feedback risk and it sounds like a guitar through the amp, its easy to fit, and virtually invisible.

there are a load of other options..... soundhole pickups, under bridge transducers..... and blends of all the above.

as to who plays what? dunno!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭ec18

unless you want to do some signal chain stuff with between the guitar and the amp or performing? then just buy a regular acoustic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭amandstu

I have had an acoustic for the past 40 years that I am starting to realize is quite good (treat it like s**t but it is intact)

But I also have a semi acoustic that I never play and am tempted to fit a mini personal amplifier to so as to learn a little about it.

I also would like to have 2 guitars so that I can switch between open and standard tunings without too much fuss.

I am a little sceptical about that personal mini amplifier but I have the preamp on my unused semi acoustic and may well buy one.

But I am wondering if there is something such as a "semi acoustic sound" as distinct from an acoustic with a microphone.

Or as compared to a straight electric (which I have never played)

I was going to buy a new guitar as my present one was not that expensive but it wasn't cheap either but I am hesitating as I can well imagine myself getting one around 1000 and then realizing that the old one was not much different (maybe even a good luthier could improve it)

Advertisement