Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Killing of Fr Niall Molloy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Sy Kick

To even speak to the man, an initial face to face, you had to put a thousand pound cash down on the table. That's not to say he would even take your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

There seems to be a lot of confusion into who was there and a mixing up of the actual wedding and the post wedding party that was on the following day.

For instance was Brian Lenihan and his wife even there the next day?

Was there many there the next day and was it just a few guests that stayed over in extended houses and was it just a day thing to feed people and be on their way then, as it seems the younger ones done their own thing that night.

Did the three of them not go for drinks to the peabodys home?,that would suggest that all guests had left Kilcoursey house by at least early afternoon/evening on the Sunday

It is very possible that it may have been just the three of them there at 10.20 that night with maybe a family member or two

I dont subscribe to a host of people witnessing this and a scatteration of goverment ministrys,priests,doctors and judiciary wigs fleeing across the lawn after witnessing this murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Turfcutter

The people of the town had no ability to sway the outcome one way or another. The local Gardai were quickly superseded on the case by a higher up squad.

None of the alleged conspirators; the Gardai, DPP, Judge, Church, Fianna Fail, Fine Gael, rogue solicitors and the horsey set were of the town.

Richard Flynn was from Galway and moved to Clara about 5 years before the murder. It seems counter logical that clannish and backward people would take a bigshot into their hearts in such a fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

Richard was originally from Galway but he had the 400 acre farm in tubber where they lived... which isn't far from Clara

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

The impression from last night programme was that his immediate family didn't know really the profitable business he had while he was alive and he certainly was not going to divulge it to the church authorities in written form in a WILL...he seemed to keep his cards close to his chest as he would be entitled...he obviously was a excellent businessman as well as a excellent priest and wanted to live the life with benefits that a successful business can provide and he did and more luck to him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Paddy McEntee represented him. No legal aid would cover Paddy's bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I'm not really seeing what the people of Clara are supposed to know that is such a deep dark secret?

I doubt any of them know any more than the rest of us who watched the documentary.

Interesting. I thought the likes of Flynn and Malcolm McArthur who were represented by McEntee were in a similar boat - well heeled but seriously out of cash and that the state would be picking up the tab.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Spencer101

I listened to a podcast the producer of the show (and others) did last year. I'm not that familiar with Clara. The gist of what one contributor to the podcast said was the Kilcoursey part of Clara was very rural and whereas in 2020 there were lots of housing estates there in 1985 it was not built up. They said something to the effect that the Flynn's kept to themselves and were not particularly well known in the area. As pointed out already on this page both Richard and Therese were from Galway and moved to Clara in 1981. Now they only moved from Tober- 4 miles away but any way the suggestion is they were not that well know in Clara.

McArthur was broke he had gone through his inheritance that's how the murders arose. I can imagine McEntee was known without breaking the bar's so called ' cab-rank' rule to coincidentally do an awful lot of private paying work. But can't think he navigated the 1980's without doing some legal aid cases. Notwithstanding his ' star quality' he would be obligated to some solicitors and might be stuck if the solicitor said ' sorry Paddy taken the legal aid brief in (say) the McArthur case you are doing that one with me.' In some instances depending on the solicitor and their history he prob couldn't say no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Well....

The contributor, assuming it's the same podcast was local man Barry Flynn (not a known relation of Richard). However he was incorrect in saying that the estates weren't in place at the time. Beechmount, Oakview and Silverdale estates were all built and inhabited before 1985.

That said, the stretch in front of Kilcoursey House is a not densely inhabited road.

The Flynn House is tagged here. Although not far from the road the view in has always been obscured: here:Fhttps://www.google.ie/maps/place/53%C2%B020'30.4%22N+7%C2%B035'50.0%22W/@53.3429768,-7.5964149,667m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d53.3417655!4d-7.5972139

He is correct that the Flynn family weren't particularly well known in the town.

Equally, a lot of people in the area were surprised to learn that Fr Niall Molloy was a priest as he never dressed like one when out and about with Therese Flynn.

Makes sense. I'm sure the manner in which he ran rings around the judicial system in those cases put his star quality even higher and added a couple of zeros to his rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Where in Galway was Flynn from?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

I’d say you’re not far off the mark here, it was the fact that fr Molloy was breaking up with Mrs Flynn they upset her more than the money issue

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

Molloy was leading a double life. Kindly old curate at the weekend then playboy of the western world mon to Friday - no facetube back then so if you had access to a motor you were set

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Wasn't there a documentary about Fr. Molloy's death a few years ago. I recall it being mentioned Fr. Molloy was a wealthy man with several hundred thousand in cash. I was surprised until I learned of the fine house in Roscommon he came from.This documentary did not mention such figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Its like something out of Putins Russia, a scandalous miscarriage of justice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I reckon it did all happened in the bedroom as stated, Fr Molloy did after all have his own bedroom at Kilcoursey so i think it wouldn't be unusual for him to have a late night conversation with the Flynn's in their bedroom.

But with financial concerns playing on his mind i reckon Fr Molloy became very stern with them that particular night and declared he was ending all financial dealing with them, with drink taken RF was in no mood for this at that hour and ordered Fr Molloy out of the bedroom but Fr Molloy insisted on remaining to make his case, RF loses it man handles Fr Molloy out of the room and things quickly escalate to assault and ultimately murder, in the mayhem TF tries to restrain her husband (hence the tear in his pajamas) and as is struck with a flailing arm.

In the immediate aftermath RF comes up with a half baked story of what happened which TF reluctantly agrees to go along with.

*As for blood found downstairs and on the bannister well that could have come from RF's bloodied hands as he scurried about the place in a panic making late night phone calls etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

From my googlin, I suspect Lackagh, with the father coming from Tubber, so possibly had relatives/land in Offaly.

His brother in link?

http://claregalway.info/nuacht/news/2013/04/thousands-assemble-at-lackagh-to-pay-tribute-to-thomas-flynn/

Seems that Richard Flynn was one of 7 children. 3 became doctors with 2 of them going to USA and 1 sister staying in Ireland. Elder brother Thomas inherited Flynns of Lackagh a fairly large business (employs 75 people today) and Richard took over the family land in Tubber. Not sure what 2 other brothers did. With a family, that size, where the first child must have been born c.1925 -may not have happened but it would be far less unusual than today if 1 of the siblings died before adulthood. I think some of the media reports now (and since 1985) refer to the family farm being in Tober. Stand corrected but think it was as Andrea B says in Tubber which is is about 4 miles from Kilcoursey house rather than Tober which is about 35 miles from Kilcoursey and in West Meath rather than Offaly. Not really relevant but Richard's decision to sell the farm in mid 1970s and open up motor factor shops makes more sense now when you realise he grew up as one of the ' Flynns from Lackagh'. Also coming from the family he did and allowing for what many of his siblings did a certain amount of pressure to ' do well' which also explains why the Flynns from Clara ended up as all fur coat and no knickers.

Richard's brother died in 2005 and the RIP notice mentions his then surviving siblings; don't know that Richard was the youngest of the 7 but he was the last to pass away. I have not been a Boards.ie member long enough to post the RIP links. His brother Dr Martin Flynn, moved to California, died in 2005; his sister Dr Betty O'Malley, from Westport, died in 2016.

Does the long streak of blood on the carpet in the bedroom and the blood on the skirting boards not make more sense if Fr Molloy was carried up the stairs ? If you believe the Flynns were in the bedroom in their night wear and it then 'all started' according to Monday's documentary- Richard Flynn can't have been the person who likely kicked Fr Molloy in the face with a shoe. A melee downstairs in front of a number of people with 2 or more people battering Fr Molloy presently makes most sense to me. People were then for the purposes of the later story ' moved to Whites' and where the Flynns had decided well he'd dead, or dying and we can't all be caught up in this they decide it happened in the main bedroom. There is some sort of discussion where they discount arguing that Fr Molloy fell down the stairs or was kicked by a horse or whatever- it was a different age without the people involved having had the 'benefit' of watching hours of CSI style TV but they realise that the extent and nature of Fr Molloy's injuries is such they have to admit there was a fight. They don't need to say anything to the first person they call the parish priest but rather rely on the church's concerns as to what people will think and there is an immediate attempt to avoid an open and transparent investigation e.g the priest's words to the local Sergeant.

I took "Tubber" from the Tom Flynn article.

I see however that RF was buried in Tubberclair Co. Westmeath and not even near Offaly.

A coincidence on the 'Tubber.." of burial and that of his father? Census archives not great so far.

Something bothers me about the theory about fight starting downstairs in front of many witnesses.

RF was apparently sitting there in pyjamas during early stages of last rites/docs etc.

Are there any named witnesses, even after so many years?

Was blood being there and rumours of it starting there put out solely to take attention from obvious drawn conclusions of priest+wife+bedroom?

Post edited by Andrea B. on

They had one or more motor factors shops in Athlone and a cafe. Athlone is about 15 miles from Clara. After they sold Kilcoursey in 1991 they moved to Glasson, County Westmeath which is about 20 miles from Clara. Therese Flynn died in 1993 and was buried in Tubberclair. Glasson to Tubberclair is about 2.5 miles. Richard re-married and died in 2017 and was buried next to his first wife.

Richard's aunt lived in the house and apparently slept through it all save that at midnight she went to get a drink from the kitchen and claims she briefly saw Fr Molloy, hale and hearty, who in reality was likely dying at that point. Now giving the benefit of the doubt to an elderly woman who had been asleep may well be that she got the time wrong by an hour. The Flynn/Molloy land/horse partnership employed a groom who lived in Kilcoursey. He was as best I recall from the McGinn report at a disco in Tullamore and came back at 3am or some such time. Think he's described as 'C' in the McGinn report. The 'Flynn' group who were seen by others in Whites pub that night but who likely were not in the pub for the length of time they claimed was between 8-10 people as far as I know. Some or all of that group were in that house for part of the time they said they were in the pub in my view.

So the Tubber farm they owned before Kilcoursey and Tubberclair in Westmeath are different places?

• Advertisement

Advertisement