Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I am amazed about the amount of people who think if X or X +1 was done it would radically change the market. The market is the market. Estate agents are paid for by the vendor. In other countries EA are paid by vendors and purchasers. This has it flaws as well as purchasers can get stung on EA fees as only the vendor get to negotiate fees.

If you look at that house your brother has at 130k reference price to last December below build cost. I do not get people referencing house prices that are below build cost. Give that house a site cost of 40k. At 85 sqM it's about 900 sqfeet at a build costs if 130/sqft( presently 170) to builders finish that's 115k, add in ancillary costs, planning, design, certification, utilities etc and you are at new build cost of 180-200k. Present build prices are adding 27k to that price. You have to factor in as well the larger the build footprint the lower the price/ sqM.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Just the 8% rise a year in house prices. Definitely sustainable. The rich getting richer.

Just goes to show you how much the supposed "experts" know.

The second scenario, involving a more “sluggish recovery”, and the one the ESRI thinks is more likely, would see a more severe decline, with prices down 12 per cent by the fourth quarter of 2021.

The contraction in property prices is due to the likely decline in household disposable income and the fall-off in mortgage market activity which it said would inevitably result “from the administrative closedown implemented by the Irish authorities”.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Point a - I believe I said it was up to people what they wanted to pay so your point is?

Yup - same small development, same builder, same age, same location. House sold has better BER and was in turn key condition. House being valued needs new windows, boiler, and repair to kitchen following a leak when unoccupied.... but apparently its worth c1k more per sq m. Okey dokey.

I do wonder what 'but but consider this reason why ....' people going to throw up next. But sure lookit, if folks here think the figures I have laid out are all fine and indicative of a functional housing market it's no skin off my nose except apparently I could sell my house for a fortune, but It's not for sale as it my home. Not an investment.

Enjoy the next bubble burst when once again all EA's will be the bad guys for inflating valuations and "getting the maximum for the vendor".

And interest rates are the giant elephant in the room that has the potential to smash everything to pieces. Maybe not immediately because of the fixed rates on most new loans, but in 2 or 3 years time when they reset….

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Agreed. An interest rate increase will have an immediate impact on the market in my view. There’s a mindset out there now that interest rates are set to remain perpetually low. I don’t think the possibility of an increase even features on the mind of many mortgage applicants, there’s an entire generation of buyers who have known nothing but static interest rates at CB level.

Some people are in for a surprise when an increase in rates could see repayments increase by a few hundred quid. There’s no discussion of this possibility in the media whatsoever, a sure sign that people are totally tuned out to its possibility. It’ll have a cooling effect on first time buyers taking out a mortgage at the very least, in my view anyway.

I reckon some upward movement in rates is inevitable given the manner in which inflation is trending.

• Advertisement

They don't seem to feature on the mind of mortgage lenders, central bankers or policymakers around the Western world either. The elephant is hiding away behind the curtain right now (I await the armchair economists coming on to say how it wont happen)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I think policy makers genuinely believed they could commit to low interest rates due to the monetary policy that was being pursued and the tight control over inflation that we’ve seen over the last decade.

Covid has destroyed that monetary policy, it’s inevitable that inflation will pickup in a serious manner.

Exactly my thoughts.

As you said, there's a whole generation who think this is the norm. It's easy to get into the mindset that the way things are now will the way things will always be.

Interest rates are what dictates our economy. As Warren Buffet said for years and continues to say..."interest rates are to asset prices what gravity is to matter"

Ray Dalio did a great video 8 years ago on how the economy works and how interest rates affect it.

Now, unless this time REALLY IS different, the rules of economics stay the same as they always have done. When interest rates rise, interest portion of repayment increases, meaning the capital payment portion decreases (mortgage value is dependent on your repayment ability)...which means lower mortgage values which means lower demand which means lower prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

I expect house price inflation to level off in 2022 and prices may even fall in some areas as supply of new and second hand homes increases. Hopefully first time buyers and people trading up or down will have more choice in the market. This should reduce the number of people budding on a single property.

also interesting inflation stats out of the US yesterday, flat for the last 3 months or so. Some predicting inflation to fall in 2022. There was a piece on breakfast business on Newstalk yesterday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

It has been pointed out that EAs do not have sway on the price, a lot actually use a strategy of going in under what they think a property is worth to garner interest it is the demand and lack of supply that sets the price. The EA gets very little in the way of commission if a house sells for 50k more and its actually in their interest to sell quicker at a lower cost to get the next house going so if there is going to be another bubble it will not be the EAs fault.

It has also been pointed out that the price garnered for a property is down to supply/demand, size, location and quality. Demand is hard to measure the exact same house in the same location and lesser quality may get more due to there being more demand for that house. Proof is in the pudding see what the house gets, if it goes for more then you have to admit that your supply vs demand is the over riding determinant factor on the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Nobody's arguing that the housing market is functional, they're arguing your point that EA's have any tangible effect on market prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Will interest rates rising have as much impact as would otherwise be the case in a 'normal' market? It seems to me - and maybe this is all anecdotal - that for the houses that people back in Celtic Tiger days would have borrowed to the hilt to pay for, let's say the €600K+ segments, this time around people are mainly financing with a large cash element, and the average mortgage amounts are lower compared to properties of the same selling price as in years past. Are there any stats on this I wonder? If the cash element is larger/mortage amount is lower, higher rates are not quite as scary I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Yes. Strange Gannon is passing on the opportunity to develop nearly 2,000 apartments.

Assume low average sale price of 250. €500 million development near the sea and Gannon saying no.. Maybe we've hit peak apartments?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Jmc25

Given the length of time to get from sale agreed to sold to the property price register, the 8/9 per cent increase figures are based on properties sale agreed at the start of the summer, maybe before in some cases. Things were hot on every single property I enquired about back then - eg one house was 40k above asking when I called about it the day it was listed. Absolute madness.

I took a break from looking at that stage and have recently started again and houses that are priced realistically (ie highly) are going for around asking in most cases from what I can see. The mad bidding now is on houses that, based on the trend in 2021, are priced too low to begin with.

Long winded way of saying I would guess that the CSO will be reporting increases leveling off (albeit at a very high level) towards the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,733 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The EA's job is to get the best price possible for their client. Twisting it into some rant about EA's trying to line their own pockets is a basic failure in understanding the relationship and responsibilities. If your brother sold his Irish property for less than the going rate as a protest at the current market dynamics, well it sounds like he can afford to and lucky someone who snagged a deal. I hope to put my house on the market in the near future and have no intention of telling the EA to discourage bidding wars or to find me the lowest price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭yagan

Have been helping a relative progress a house purchase in Cork, and when we went looking during the summer supply was tight. However difficulties with the title has stalled the purchasing process for the moment which made them look again at the market and supply and value have definitely improved.

They've already lined up viewings of houses that could save them 20% of what they went sale agreed on a month ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Until they actually go sale agreed again they can't know what is the potential saving.

Asking prices may be lower than what they agreed but that is fairly meaningless.

A very good thing for your friend there are no other interested parties in the market looking to buy at this time who might bid the prices up.

From another thread:

"Latest property we’ve stoped biding on was listed at 475k and we walked with 6 others still actively bidding (according to EA) currently on 520k… estate agent was glowing with the fact there were 6 battling it out"

"Similar story, two I viewed recently:

Listed for 380 current bid 455

Listed for 375 current bid 433

Both almost 20% over asking and not gone sale agreed yet"

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058202484/looking-to-move-wtf-is-going-on-with-prices#latest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Timing belt

if house price inflation is to level off the first signs will be seen in the rental market as apartments are where the majority of supply is coming on stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

Blatant lie from the minister about the CB approving of the Shared-Equity scheme

• Advertisement

He's got some neck on him!

A lot of people no longer want or will put up with an apartment - that is one of the fundamental shifts in the market due to Covid that has driven house prices up, so yeah, probably peak apartment, but I don't think that indicates an impending price collapse. However, it does appear the intense upward price pressure is reducing in markets like Australia and the US so I would say we have probably plateaued pricewise, for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Timing belt

All lenders take into account the ability to repay a mortgage if rates rise so don’t rates rising leading to a fire sale of properties driving price downwards.

Also you need to remember that in a low interest rate environment a small interest rate rise of 0.25bps would have a similar impact on cooling inflation as a 250bps rise if rates were 5%.

i also suspect that we will see more QE to finance the green revolution if governments are to meet climate targets. If I am correct on this it will keep rates low.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭yagan

When I went viewing with them in June and July interest was really intense. The first place they were interested in went into a protracted bidding war but three months later still hasn't gone sale agreed. I reckon there were engineering issues that would only show up on survey.

The house they did go sale agreed actually only had one other bidder and only went agreed at the asking price. This is Cork though and I'm not that familiar with it. I'd said I'd go along with them to their next viewings so it will be interesting to see what interest is like compared to coming out of lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Eclectic Econometrics

You've correctly stated that inflation was flat but I have seen numerous articles and commentators state this is cooling, as if a JPow press release.

Anyone interested can Google "tradingeconomics united states inflation" it is 5.4% to 5.3% "cooling" ;-)

From the FT today Google "UK inflation surges to 3.2% as food and transport costs rise - Increase is fastest since Bank of England gained independence to set interest rates"

Again, this is being pitched as transitory. I brought up inflation months ago as one possible black swan, it was being pitched as transitory then too. It is transitory like an uncle that comes over for Christmas and still hasn't left come Easter.

Talking of black swans, anyone keeping an eye on the events of Evergrande?

Again, I am not saying we will see a 20% drop in prices etc. On the balance of probability, if I had to stake my life on it, I would say this time next year house prices would've increased rather than decreased. But there are rumblings getting louder and unknown unknowns no one sees coming.

****As always, my apologies for not being able to post links.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

The inference from me is that they are getting out before inflation kicks in as costs are already running hot and show no sign of slowing. Perhaps an absolute peak in the market though I feel there is road left to run in terms of increases in prices, but there is scope for an almighty correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭DataDude

We bid on 5 houses in the period of January - April 2021. Outbid on all 5. €1-€1.5m range.

Over the past 2 months all 5 sales have fallen through and be re-offered to us. 3 we were no longer interested. 2 we are considering. Of the 3 that we were re-offered and not interested in, 2 are still sitting on the market. 1 just resold at €175k below the original SA price.

The two we are considering are currently €100k-€200k below the original SA price (and our own previous bids) from March and have been there for the last couple of weeks.

There’s definitely something unusual going on. Have had 3 different EAs telling us the ‘sale agreed’ fall through rate is ridiculously high at the moment. It’s gotten to the point where I don’t want to get into bidding wars because I’m 70% sure the person I’m bidding against is just going to pull out anyway. Tricky time to be buying.

I have noticed the same datadude.

An awful lot of properties that went sale agreed, even 12 months ago are coming back on. (I'm looking lower than your price range though! )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭DataDude

We’ve narrowed our search down to primary one area now, and at one time there’d only be 3-4 properties of interest.

Starting to become clear now that the same person was sale agreed/highest bidder on 3 of the houses at the same time. Very hard to trust any counter offers when that kinda stuff is happening!

Advertisement