Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wire From House

• 14-09-2021 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'll be bring an exterior cat6 cable from inside the house to outside the house and burying it in a trench for a garden room.

What's the best way to tidy/protect the wire as it exits the house.

• Do I need to put a pipe in the ope so as to protect the cable?
    • Do I thread the cable through an end extension box or an elbow, and then bring it down under ground level into a pipe.

Thanks for reviewing.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Best practice would be to install these CAT 6 / CAT 7 cables in a robust pipe / conduit. Sweeping bends are best. Personally I would use something like hydrodare without any joins and I would forget about trying to pull additional cables through it at a later date. I would install the cables in the pipe and test then before the trench is filled in.

it would be best if no part of these cables is exposed to direct sunlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭karlitob

Excellent. Thanks for reply.

When you say 'hydrodare' I presume that means any

So just to check I can stick the hydrodare in through the hole I make in the exterior wall and feed the hydrodare under the concrete, under the patio, all the way to the bottom of the garden. No joins, no nothing.

Can I check

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I think that you would only get 1 number CAT6 in a 20mm or it may even require a 25mm hydrodare. I would check this before purchasing. Yes, similar to what you have shown above.

Perfect.

Final question - is there a right or a wrong way to send cable down such a long length. Just thread it down and be careful??

That is it. Over 60m this may not be so easy. I suspect that you may have to cut the pipe and join it, but that is easy enough. I said hydrodare as it tends to be cheap and robust. Once properly protected a standard CAT6 cable can be used rather than a more bulky and expensive exterior type.

• Advertisement

Excellent - thanks for your time and advice. Greatly appreciated.

While I have you - I will have a 16mm2 swa coming out of the house also.

It's coming from and going to the same place as the Cat6.

Same question above - I know the swa need not be in a conduit so I'm wondering about its egress from the house and how to protect it.

The swa is coming out of the house at the side access and will go deep under concrete for 10/20 m, before it gets to the trench where the other utilities will be.

• Question 1: Someone mentioned that the swa in concrete should go into a concrete in case the stones of the concrete damage it? Would you suggest some simple flexible conduit in that instance? If so, would 28mm suffice.
    • Question 2: Would a simple cable protector guard be sufficient protection above ground before it enters the conduit?
    • Question 3: should i put anything into the hole in the exterior wall to protect it.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭jacko

Wouldn't cut the hydrodare if at all possible and keep both ends well above water level. The cat6 cable possibly wont push through the pipe all the way, try it first but if not then get light builders line and tie a knot on some very light plastic on the end, even cling film will do or a bit of a shopping bag (small enough that it will pass through the pipe easily) Then use a vacuum cleaner on the other end of the pipe to suck the line through. Use duct tape to seal off around the vacuum hose. If you get the line through then you can pull the cat6 after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Hydrodare shouldn't be used as a cable duct.

• Advertisement

Thank you - very good suggestion.

One end will go in a router, and the other into an RJ45 port (or something) when the garden room gets built. Both ends will be above ground (I hope, lol). Otherwise, the whole duct will be in concrete, 804 and muck.

I would agree with you if it was a LV (mains voltage) cable.

A bit of perspective is required: As this is an Ethernet cable it can not pose any risk to anyone even if they gnaw through it! Therefore installing this cable type in a more expensive piping brings no value whatsoever.

Post edited by 2011 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

I don't entirely disagree but ELV cables are within the remit of the National Rules for Electrical Installations.

Fair enough.

I agree with you that using hydrodare would conflict with the requirements of IS10101. This is why I carefully worded my resposne above by stating "Personally I would use something like hydrodare" as in this is what I would do rather than this is what is permitted to comply with the rules. For me this type of work is perfect for a DIY type person.

I would not reccommend deviating from the rules if this was LV cabling.

Gents

Thanks so much for your replies. Great to get access to so much advice. If you don’t mind, I’ve another related query that you both might help with.

Will put in next post.

So I had planned to bring the swa/Cat6 out the side of the house and down the side access. But where we have to bring it out will be above ground level so will have to burying it at that point - no problem but a bit unsightly.

But since we’re digging up the drive I wonder if I exit the house under ground at the front of the house where the consumer unit is. Problem is there are utilities crossing it.

Red box is consumer unit.

Red line is suggested path of swa internally.

Yellow line is where the swa comes from internal to external and goes on its merry way down the back of the house.

Green line is water

Blue line is gas.

Any problems bring the swa either over or under the gas line in a conduit before doing down the back of the house.

https://ibb.co/SQJz0KC

Post edited by karlitob on

Advertisement