Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Timing chain replacement

Options
  • 14-09-2021 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi all,

Hoping that I can get some advice.

I have 08 Peugeot 308 1.6 GT Petrol. 95k miles.

Short story, Car broke down 3 weeks ago, engine was very loud when driving for about a week, kinda sounded like a diesel. My mechanic was on holidays so I couldn't get it seen to straight away.

Mechanic has car now and has said Timing Chain has slipped and needs replacing. He is quoting me €1400 min for job. He maintains, that this particular engine is not as straight forward as standard engine and its a 2 day job.

Is the price quite steep? Should it take this long? How much does timing belt part/s cost?

Totally unsure here, not in a position to buy another car rn as I've son heading off to college.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 NoDiice

Is it a timing chain or belt? I’m familiar with the prices for replacing a timing chain, cost me around 1k to get it done.

So your quote seems a bit expensive. I’d check websites like micksgarage for the price of the parts if you’re wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 jojomc

It's a timing chain. I did check that site but apparently they don't have that part..

Apparently the peugeot dealer charges €800 for the parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Those engines have a timing chain. Did the chain slipping do any damage to the engine? There is no one price fits all as the level of labour involved varies from brand to brand and the particular engine, as well as if there was any damage done to the engine when it slipped.

Apparently, no damage done other than chain slipped and needs replacing.

I've no experience of this kind of thing before, so no clue if this cost is reasonable.

I just looked up timing chain kit for my car, not sure if it right or not, from a peugeot garage and they quote €432 for parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,679 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If a timing chain or belt slips or breaks, on some engines, the valves can then be hit by the pistons because the timing is now off. This can mean more parts and work. You could ask your mechanic if this is what happened. €800 seems incredibly expensive for a chain. The genuine timing chain kit for my Civic Type R seems to only be £302, albeit that's supposedly a 40% discount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Get a detailed breakdown of the price from the mechanic around parts and labour, otherwise it's just guess work really.

My mechanic is trying to source parts from the North of Ireland as it may be cheaper.

He is actually unable to do the job as he maintains he can't do it but "knows a man who can" an ex peugeot mechanic. Apparently this job requires special tools, and he doesn't have them but his 'friend' does.

I just don't know what to believe at this stage. Fml

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If he cannot do it, cut him out of the loop.

No point giving him a cut as well.

Advertisement