Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society, Captains prize 18/09/2021, Enniscrone

Options
  • 29-08-2021 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭

Well folks time has been flying by this year and Captains day/weekend will shortly be upon us. Captain is otherwise engaged at the moment so asked me to start the thread and get the ball rolling.

So we are heading to Enniscrone, another new venue for the boards society and by all accounts it appears another real treat in store for us. I’ve never played it myself but have been there and recall some terrific looking dunes.

unfortunately the last couple of years have been such a disaster with Covid and outings being on/off, cancelled, rescheduled, recancelled, changed, 5k limit, county limits….. we’ll you get picture! As such the Captain and committee realise the struggles some members had with getting to some of the outings and have decided that the usual rule of 3 games played to qualify for captains will be stretched this year. So anyone who has played 3 games over the last 2 years can qualify to win the big one this time around.

Teamer invites have already gone out and I would encourage you to all either accept or decline as soon as possible so that arrangements can be made with the course.

first tee time will be 12:30.

see you folks in Sligo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Macker1

For those that have yet to play Enniscrone, you're in for a treat. Its a great course with some fantastic holes and beautiful scenery.

Just to clarify Seve does playing at Enniscrone at the event count as one of the 3 games ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

Excited for the Captain's but sad the boards year is coming to an end seems to hav flown by!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,744 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

As people probably know or don't know - I'm a massive Links fan - and this is in my top 5 course in the country. It is on the slightly eccentric side, with blind holes etc - but it is an amazing place and course.

My own game is in a poor state at the moment - haven't had much time for golf over the last 3/4 months (work / home front) - but said I'd make an exception for this great course and a genuinely rare great Cork man (joke) - looking forward to it, a very sound captain. A few scoops after too hopefully.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Easily my favourite course in Ireland. I've not played some of the other "best courses", so may not compare to them, but there are some absolutely fantastic holes on this one, that play completely differently depending on the weather.

Highly recommend it for anyone who hasn't played it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭a post punk

Played this course last year as the 3rd day coming from Rosses and Strandhill, It was the windiest I’ve ever played in and very tough on the day but it is a very unique course and the course knowledge will definitly help the 2nd go !! The Dunes are like high rise buildings on some holes …….A deserving winner of a Captains prize will take the trophy home here !

Cant wait

PP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Finally going to get to Enniscrone. This was due to be the venue for my Captain's last year until Covid put an end to an overnight venue (not that Dromoland was too bad a replacement...just ask @charlieIRL 😉)

Have never played the course and it's been on my bucket list for quite a while. With multiple trophies on the cards, as well as all the permutations at play for GOTY and finalising spots for the Ryder Jug (which will be played in a great venue) there is tons to play for on the day.

After 2 long tough couple of years for the society it'll be great to be able to finish things off in style.

As I mentioned in the other thread, there are a few people already booked in and staying in the Sligo Southern Hotel. Some for 1 night, some for 2. All of the 2 days guys at the moment are booked in to play Rosse's Point on the Friday. Thats 5 people so far. That leaves 3 slots available as I have slots for 2 4-balls booked.

On the Saturday night, as things stand, there is space for 1 person to share a twin room, from the initial bookings I made. Will get a whatsapp going shortly, as thats possibly the best place to sort out golf and accommodation. I'm happy to try book in a few extra people if I can get extra rooms in the hotel, if people are interested.

Also, will need to get clarity around people looking for some food after the golf on Captain's day. There is no proper food available in the clubhouse, but there is food available in the Diamond Coast hotel which is pretty much next door to the club so will be looking to book some tables.

Looking forward to it now, it's going to be a different kind of overnight Captain's event with the way of the world now, but as always should be good craic with the Boards crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭macslash

Just wondering if non members can play this and what is the price? Always intended to try and make one but with the year that was in it... Thanks

Yes, non members are welcome. €50 green fee. Can you PM me if youre interested. Send me on your name & number and i can add you in to a group we have for tracking and admin for the outing

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭SEORG

Best of luck to Break80 on the occasion of his Captain's Prize.

A fantastic venue that I've been lucky enough to play on a few occasions.

Hopefully I will be able to get to some outings next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭irish_man

Hello, I am interested in playing also. I have never played in the society before but have played Enniscrone several times. It's a treat! Is there still slots free?

Yes you are welcome to join us.

if yourself of macslash want to play, please pm me your mobile and I’ll get yiz set up

Just to refresh this. It’s €50 for society members and all members must have this years subs paid up to qualify to win captains.

visitor price will be €60.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭irish_man

No worries. I just want to play. I'll take no prizes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Can’t wait for this outing. Never played enniscrone but have heard great things. Best of luck Break80, hope all goes well for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

This should be a cracking weekend

Come on weather gods an give us one last sunshine west coast break

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Snackbox20

Best of luck Break80 for your captains prize and weekend.

I recently played the course and it was in fantastic condition, some amazing features on some of the fairways. Really looking forward to playing there again and hopefully finish out my first year with this amazing society with a respectable score and place in the top 10 :)

I have a course guide from the last time I played and if you would like me to upload scans of the holes and guidelines, i'll happily put them up for you all.

Got sorted for a b&b in Enniscrone, so I'll be up after work the Friday afternoon and will be on the road after the golf, presentation, and food.

Looking forward once again to hopefully a fantastic day out.

Congrats Break80 for a brilliant year as captain and special mention to the others who helped with bookings, scorecards, the leaderboard, etc.

See you all in 2 weeks.

Snackbox

Oh, if you have any spare, put your child of Prague out on the Friday night before, I know it's not for a wedding, but he'll understand :D

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Break80

Hi Golfers.

This is your Captain speaking.

Apologies I was on the missing list for a while but as Arnie say's I'M BACK.

A genunine thanks to SEVE OB and SPACECOYOTE for getting the ball rolling and looking after enquiries.

This society would be dead in the water over the past 2 years only for members like these guys.

Everyone involved really appreciates the effort put in.

As already stated, To be fair to all If you have played 3 outings over the past 2 years including Captain's this year you can qualify for the big prize.

You will need to have your sub of €25.00 paid for this year as well.

There will be a decent Visitor's prize for newbies and regulars who didn't qualify.

Green fees are €50.00 members and €60.00 visitors.

We will have the presentation of prizes in the clubhouse and then move on to a resturant for food as the clubhouse is only doing light snacks.

As with tradition we will be going out according to GOTY Standings.

This is still wide open and you also have the top 10 for Ryder Jug so all to play for Guys and Gals.

Can I just say, Even though it wasn't looking great at the start of the year, I really enjoyed my tenure as Captain of this society. I got great help from everyone I asked.

If anyone is sitting on the fence re. getting involved just do it. You will not meet a better bunch of people.

That's it for now Golfers.

I've been looking forward to this trip all year.

BREAK 80

Hi Golfers.

Quick update on Enniscrone for ye all.

As of now we have 23 confirmed for Captain's Prize.

We have slots booked for 28 so 5 slots remaining for anyone sitting on the fence. Ye won't be disappointed.

Longest Drive will be 7th.

N/P will be on 17.

We will be off white tees for the day. SeveOB is probaly doing handicaps as we speak.

Revolut is the preferred payment as always. Ye can start paying me now as the course is looking for payment already. €50 for members, €60 for guests.

Lots of prizes on offer for this one lads and lady as I got a few green fees through the year and also some generous donations from members.

Looking forward to seeing ye all for a good blow out to a great year.

Snackbox 20 is looking after the Infant of Prague so weather Gods might be kind to us.

Talk soon

BREAK 80

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

Sorry for my late comment, I have been traveling a lot the last few weeks, I am really looking forward to this. For me definitely my favourite course of the cheaper links, pity those 3 flat holes in the middle of the front 9 that break the charm for a while.

• Advertisement

excellent work captain

From the No Laying Up guys a couple of years ago. Might help whet the appetites

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Weather is looking good and won't be too windy on Saturday. And as Break80 says, if you're on the fence - get off it and play, its a super super course.

Really cant wait for this and to top it off a few beers with those staying over and maybe the annual putting competition at 2 in the morning..lol..

Yes, we've space for a couple more with us and it should be a treat of a day out.

Been some great pics of the place posted in whatsapp groups.

Maybe stick them up here lads

Usually one of my favourite weekends of the year. Thought I might sneak away for just one night, but unfortunately this time around I will save the brownie points for January😎

still looking forward to a day trip though……

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

I'm not sure it's a good thing for the 2am putting competition to become an annual thing 😮

Last Call on this one golfers.

I will be contacting the course tomorrow with numbers and payment.

Weather gods are looking good at the moment. There's not an Infant Of Prague statue left indoors the past week.

Spacecoyote is organising an extra comp involving a launch monitor and some speed sticks. Fastest speed picks up a prize so off to the gym with all of ye.

This is the official side comp for the weekend as the 2am putting comp might get us in trouble as usual. [ Great Crack Though]

Lots of permutations going on all round the Country regarding what is needed to win GOYT or qualify for the Ryder Jug. Don't worry I will do my best to upset all of your calculations if not by fair means it will have to be foul. Nothing comes easy in this group I can tell ye.

Anyone hoping for a Captains pick for the Ryder Jug, my tipple of choice is Brandy and Baileys for the weekend.

That's it for now Guys and Gal.

I am heading up Thursday afternoon. Playing Rosses Point Friday and Enniscrone Saturday.

Looking Forward to it already.

Talk Soon.

BREAK 80

Oohhh You have to do a day trip! hmmm... tiredness, travel then golf one less to worry about! ;)

• Advertisement

Thats because you dont listen to all the good advice you get! ...lol...

Advertisement