Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)

How to determine asking price

• 11-09-2021 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,897 ✭✭✭✭ Gael23

A family member is selling their home shortly and believes it to be worth €200k based on comparable properties in the area.

im order to get as close as possible to that do you put it on the market at 205-210,000 and leave a little room or go at say €199k keeping it under the 200s barrier but not be so open to negotiation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭ endofrainbow

have it professionally valued by an Estate Agent

• Registered Users Posts: 74,355 ✭✭✭✭ Atlantic Dawn

If it's in a city or area with large turnaround of houses I'd put it in at €200k hoping for higher bids, if it's in a low turnaround area I'd stick it up for €210k hoping someone begins bidding at €200k.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ SupaCat95

There is no science or maths to it..... its more of an art.

If I was to do it, I would consult the property price register. That will tell you the price of any house sold in the last 10 years. This cannot be disputed. https://www.propertypriceregister.ie/website/npsra/pprweb.nsf/PPR?OpenForm

Then you must judge demand in that area and finance available. I dont think there is that much finance available but Estate agents are creating the mania (and fueling panic, see last Sunday Independent house prices up 12% next year).

Paying for a Surveyor will tell you how much value to subtract to get an accurate valuation for maintenance to be done.

So mix all those factors and come up with a number. Also Estate agents are all £$%^$£% *%$£. They will tell you what you want to hear but try and sell the house without them and they will get nasty with rumours and suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ SupaCat95

Best advice! Dont worry about the cost, Estate agents will break their neck to come out and value it for free if there is even a remote chance of them selling the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭ ec18

at the minute pick what you want and see what happens I've seen houses with an asking price in the 500K range that aren't habitable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭ Jmc25

I think at the moment some estate agents are operating under a "stick it up for something mad and see if anyone is desperate/silly enough to pay it" policy.

Most properties I view seem to get an offer at asking price, even when the asking price is mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,897 ✭✭✭✭ Gael23

No it’s not in an area whit a high turnover but it’s an area where good houses don’t come in the market very often. There’s a similar one further up the street which has been rented for many years asking 185k so one in turnkey condition is getting at lest 200 taking that as a guide

Advertisement