Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a full size folding bike

• 12-09-2021 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hey guys. I moved into an apartment with very narrow staircases and and a regular bike is out of the question. I am looking for a full size folding bike. By that I mean something that has normal sized wheels, and not those tiny ones I see on most folding bikes. I am typically used to cycling a hybrid bike but would be open to a road bike or a mountain bike style. I don't need anything fancy and I'm looking to spend around 300 - 400 euro in total.

The Eurobike G4 really caught my attention and I may end up getting that if there are no better alternatives that fit my usecase.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 johnny five

If there happens to be an extraordinarily good bike for my purpose I also wouldn't mind spending an extra few euro. I'm not really familiar with the folding bike market so its hard to tell what is good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Tern has some good sized folding bikes. Tern node and tern eclipse. But expensive and out of your price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 johnny five

Just cycling around country roads to get a bit of exercise. I'm mostly just concerned about it being compact enough to carry up a narrow staircase.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I think anything around your price range would have a less than optimal fold and would probably get annoying pretty fast if you're folding it all the time to go up the stairs. The reviews of the G4 mention cheap components, which would make sense given the price. But I don't know anything about it.

Some of the small-wheeled folders ride just fine. I've done over 50km in a day on a Brompton, and it was fine. The Brompton's fold is a pleasure too. Still outside your price range.

There is a brand called Airnimal that do folding bikes with wheels that are just short of full size. But again, outside your price range, and the fold isn't all that convenient. It's a partial dismantling as well as a fold, unlike the smaller-wheel folders. They're really for people who want to bring a bike on their travels in a suitcase (the name I think alludes to air travel).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

that Eurobike is 20kg - is it really going to be easier to get up the stairs than a regular bike? You really don't need a full sus bike for riding on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Would taking the wheels off a normal bike work? Probably wouldn't be much more effort than a folding bso?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

You don't need a full size Mountain Bike for that, never minds a huge heavy thing with dual suspension.

Advertisement