Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First purchase of e-bike

Options
  • 12-09-2021 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Im going to buy an e-bike through the bike to work scheme. I used to cycle all the time and am a pretty experienced city cyclist. I havent cycled in a year or two and the thought of the commute again is not appetising so im thinking of giving myself a boost! Literally!

I was first thinking of the Pembleton Somerby bike but then thought it might be too heavy. Im now considering a Orbea Optima e50. Ive just realised though it has an integrated battery and i think that will be a problem as i wont be able to take out the battery and charge it at work. I want to use the bike to cycle to work about 3 times a week. its 7 km approx each way. Mostly straight but maybe one biggish hill and one long slow incline. Im really put off by the fact now i cant charge it at work as i can see myself forgetting to charge it at home and then being stuck walking it up the hill.

Does anyone have any views on this bike and if the integrated battery is a hassle? Is it expensive to run an ebike? I read the Pembleton can do 60 miles but it seems the Orbea is only around 30 miles. I want a bike that is step through, easy to charge, and will get me up the hill without too much of a struggle, speed is not important, upright sitting bike would be good and comfortable too. I really want to make the right decision on this. My budget could stretch to over 2200 or so. Also anyone try the orbea e40 is that any better? Its just the integrated battery that is really putting me off Orbea. Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

first question is whether you've checked the availability of the bikes - a lot are not in stock.

second would be to check the battery capacity - that might tell you more than the claimed range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Joe1919

I had the use of a Pendleton for several months. The bike was ok. The v brakes did tend to need frequent adjustment and I had to shorten the chain that tended to fall off the single front chainring.

As regards range, @ my weight 90kg, weak/lazy legs and full assistance, I was getting about 30km from the 320w battery. The bike was ok on hills to 5% grade in my case. A lighter and fitter rider will get better range and performance on hills.

Advertisement