Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friendship ended?

Options
  • 12-09-2021 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,386 ✭✭✭✭

Bit of an odd experience for me, but texted an (now ex) friend to check up with them after months (I’m terrible at keeping contact up). Anyhow could sense the atmosphere was a bit frosty from the replies- I get a text back saying we are not friends, wish you well but please do not contact me again. Now, I never had any clash with this person (they are American and a bit full on and not as chilled as I’d be used to). Obviously I text back saying fair enough and I respect their decision.

has anyone experienced like this on a plutonic level? Maybe it’s an American thing whereby they are far more direct than us and clear out friends as time goes by? I think it’s a shame but if someone doesn’t want anything to do with me then that is clear enough for me. I’m a little sad and disappointed they feel that way but I guess that’s the way it is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I think you've answered your own question with the last sentence. It's not nice but I'm sure you can move on. Friends come and go over time and whilst I think that reply you got was pretty rude it's clear this person has no interest in continuing any form of relationship. I would just forget and move on. Life's too short to dwell on these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,386 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Yea I was taken aback- can understand a friend being a little annoyed as I’m not good at maintaining deep friendships but going so far as don’t contact me again did hurt on some level. I’ve people I haven’t seen for years but still consider them friends on some level

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

At least they were honest and straight up front about it.

Irsh people have a habit of draging out or trying to keep a friendship going even when it is toxic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭acequion

The "do not contact me again " bit is definitely a shock to the system but as another poster put it, it is very honest on the part of your ex friend. Maybe all the isolation of the pandemic brought a lot of people face to face with certain aspects of their lives and what they did and didn't want in their friendships. And maybe it made people crankier too.

I would take it in a "it's not you,it's me" spirit, but still something to learn from. I had a platonic friend break up with me once. I'd been breezing in and out of that person's life quite casually and they didn't like the over casual nature of the friendship. And that's fair enough. Once I got over the hurt I took it as a lesson to value the good friendships more and to make more effort.

All you can do is learn from it and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭notAMember

That is just an obnoxious thing to say without any justification going with it. Hurtful for no reason, the very definition of rude.

I wouldn’t have replied as you did OP, you’re more tolerant than me.

• Advertisement

Yes it was a lack of effort from my part as they’d alluded to me not calling and not meeting up for a number of years (we don’t live close by) so how could we considered friends? I guess some people want more and different things from friendships.

it is a lesson for future, I do need to make more effort

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭notAMember

They are very demanding.

I have some dear old friends I have not seen in a decade or more. We often go year or more without a text, they live in other countries. I see them when our paths cross and we reminisce. That’s just being an adult.

Also, Covid happened.

I am not interested in arguments or chasing people either. The text was blunt but clear. I did apologise as to anything I may have said or did. They did text back after actually saying if you want to participate in more active friendship they’d like to but to be honest it would be hard to come back from the initial cut off text. To me telling someone not to contact them is very clear

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Maxface

It's not about the response, your issue is the anxiety it has given you about the response. You said it has been a few months, it is what it is. From their side they have decided they are done with the relationship, you held on for a while but never kept it going. Job done. It is your feelings and anxiety that are saying it was more and deserved a better end that has annoyed you. You don't deserve that but feel like you do. That's it, move on and no harm. I'm being a bit harsh but that's how life is.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭headtheball14

I think it's fair enough, you might have felt hurt by their text but they obviously felt more hurt by the way you dropped in and out of their friendship.

If you wondered what you did wrong, well ponder over how they felt when you didn't respond to their messages or calls and wondered what they did wrong.

I think just take it that they think you are a nice enough person but you need to be more considerate of your friends feelings in future take the lesson on board and do better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭sporina

i have a feeling that we are not getting the full picture here - can you tell us more? like, when wer ye last in touch? and how did ye get on? how did ye part company? etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Is it a friend or more friends?

you said "this person" and then "they are American"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

You just have different friend styles. I have friends for a long number of years where we might not be in touch for ages, but pick up right where we left off. I’m trying to think of the longest gap in those kind of friendships, I’d roughly say almost a year with no contact. There might be a few texts on one side - or the other - but I’d estimate that we contact each other within 12 months. No one really seems to mind though.

I think your friend expected far more regular contact, and that’s ok. But it’s also ok for that not to be your thing. So I’d guess that most Irish people would just let a disparity like that drift - but perhaps your American friend is being rather more direct about their expectations (hope I haven’t gone overboard on the National stereotypes there).

Theres no point in trying resurrect it: you friend will be monitoring you, and you’ll be performing. So not a real friendship. I’d say just let it all go. It doesn’t mean that either one of you have unreasonable expectations: just that your expectations do not suit each other

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I think part of the problem is you're being too nice, apologising and asking did you do anything to offend them - they are exploiting that fact to treat you this way.

I don't think I would have been as diplomatic as yourself.

Delete their number, move on, anyone who responds this way to a platonic friend obviously has issues and is not happy, you dodged a bullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭ghoulfinger

I did this once about 4 years ago. Won’t go into details as I don’t want person identifying me but my then mate had been what I would call playing a part of best friend in the world, rather than being sincere about it. I’m an upfront sort of person and at the end of the day I find myself setting boundaries. This pal had annoyed me a little by being somewhat judgemental, not necessarily just of me, but over a lot of things. Nobody’s perfect, least of all me, so had been overlooking that little annoyance for some tine.

Things turned sour on a particular occasion when I would have expected this friend to show their presence. The excuse offered was absolutely pathetic, and in retrospect I could only put it down to an occasion when I might have been in a position as a volunteer worker to do this person a particular “favour”; had I done so it would have worked against the good of the charity, so I diplomatically as possible de lines to do so. I texted them not to contact me again and that was that. I did want to cool off the friendship rather than necessarily end it, but in the long run it has been no loss at all. I did send a follow-up message to explaining I was hurt, and that should we happen to encounter each other in life that I would always be cordial etc and that I expected they had their reasons for acting in that cold manner. This country is way too small to build a catalogue of enemies and it is just generally bad karma.

OP, you have likely totally inadvertently and unintentionally managed to upset your former friend. They likely have been in a bad place for reasons not fully known to you. Irrespective of what they said, I would just send a short note to say you don’t know where you went wrong, you no hard feelings and hope they are ok. Life’s just too short and you want peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

You say there was a lack of effort from your part; did your ex-friend have some major event/challenge and you weren't there for them? They told you about something and you weren't supportive? I'm guessing but something like that could be the straw that breaks the camels back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭Tork

I've seen people here give the advice to send a "We're not friends, don't contact me again" message to the person they want gone from their lives. Here we can see what happens when the person at the other end gets one of these. You'd need to have a hide like a rhinoceros not to be shaken when something like this pops up on your phone. Maybe this former friend is more direct than other former friends you've let drift from your life - perhaps they too have negative feelings about you. Only you can answer that question.

I do think there’s a cultural clash here alright and that is relevant. I suppose I just don’t get this person if I’m honest and for me it’s all completely out of proportion. I do think and know they “fancied” me and I had no interest so I am thinking that was maybe a factor. I was clear on that at the time and thought it was parked (at least for me). Maybe there is still some smouldering resentment there.

remember at one stage they’d be constantly texting me or if I was online Facebook they’d message me. This really isn’t me and if I’m honest drove me a bit crazy. It felt clingy and suffocating

Yes I was a bit taken aback as yes we’ve all drifted with friends but as regards cutting then off completely, that was a new one on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,053 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Any chance they thought you were leading them on or using them? Given that you know they fancied you? Or that now they've realised it's not going anywhere and have moved on.

• Advertisement

I couldn’t be bothered getting into an argument. For what? It’s not like they are a massive part of my life on a day to day basis. Tbh the “friendship” will probably naturally fizzle out after this. I didn’t feel like this and would have been happy to pop in and out as you would but have a different view of the person now.

Perhaps they did but it was clear from my end there was nothing more. Definitely no leading on!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Good, don't waste any more time on this person - but I reckon they want you to react ... it's a ploy for attention, don't say anything but would not surprise me if they pinged you in some days/weeks ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

I think its very obvious from the post that the person is talking about one single person (as the third person).

I would assume they are not using he/she/him/her etc because they are maintaining some anonymity, given the nature of this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭I am me123

Is there any more of a background to this? Had there been any kind of a falling out prior to you recieving this message?

My advice - remember the phrase "Friends come and go". You will meet more people and develop more friendships as you move through life.

Keep positive. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭sporina

really? - you shud have mentioned this from the start.. let it go - respect their boundaries/dignity.. imo you shud leave them alone.

Post edited by sporina on

Oh for Christ’s sake some of the “advice” here is borderline ridiculous at times. It can be possible to have platonic friendships and park other peoples baggage. And no I don’t have to mention every detail to you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭Tork

I think this other person fancying you led to this backlash. It's entirely plausible that their anger, frustration and resentment built up over time as they came to realise that (1) their feelings weren't reciprocated and you weren't interested and (2) they weren't that important to you. It's obvious you saw the friendship very differently to them and in the end it was a bad fit. You're not geographically close to this person so it probably would've been better to let this fizzle out, especially if you thought they had a crush on you.

Anyway, I think it's good that you've had a wake-up call in regards to your other friendships. It's good not to let them all die on the vine.

Post edited by Tork on

Advertisement