Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

I was very relieved when the Business Bell finally arrived, the suitation is crazy!

Started off getting it shipped via EMS as I have done with two other watches, cost was €24.87 Then it began to bounce back and forward between here and Japan!

When I got the email to say it had made it back to the warehouse in Japan, I was relieved that it hadn't gotten lost and decided that the best thing to do was just to go ahead with FedEx. The intital shipping cost was €18.21 and it arrived very fast

But at a cost.......

Still happy with the decision, glad it's finally here in one piece! Hopefully this will be sorted soon as I would be put off buying anymore (possiblily a good thing! ;) at the moment, along with sending them to be serviced in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Have a week off in October around the 18th, with some normality returning and a good time of year for it, thinking about having a Watch GTG.

Would be in the city center, learned from the last one and will be in a better location this time around that can be arranged via PM or set up a WhatsApp group. Thinking of a Sunday (17th or 24th). No matter what day, someone will miss out so maybe something we can start doing more often if all goes well giving everyone a chance to attend one.

EDIT: Also thinking of trying out the Zoom GTG idea that might be a better solution to allow more people to attend. Thinking of having the first one this Thursday and if all goes well possibly a weekly event.

Post edited by IrishPlayer on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Been in Greece the past 10 days, Santorini and Mythos and the watch spotting game is next level, Rolex to the left of me Rolex to the right and AP stuck in the middle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Half are fake....but you are right. In ireland we dont realise just how popular the luxury game has become.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Have the Panerai want again :(

Pam995 is latest crush.

• Advertisement

They never stick with you, but if the darkside is on the block give me a shout 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 8,661 ✭✭✭893bet

What’s in your box at the moment?

The VC, the JLC Polaris and the zenith?

Vc, jlc x2 polaris and 8 day pc, zenith, iwc Portuguese and dark side

• Registered Users Posts: 16,303 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The Zenith is very, very nice IMO. I'd actually meant to drop you a message to give me a heads up if you ever consider letting that one go. Was only discussing with someone recently.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Thanks to the dept of ag I've developed a criminal mind (we're assumed guilty until we can prove our innocence in all dealings with them) I can see an opening for someone to move watches and other valuables in and out of EU. If customs don't get the finger out and cop on that trade needs to continue, we'll just have to find an easier way for trade to happen.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,471 ✭✭✭✭unkel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

"The bureau has been seizing increasing large amounts of luxury goods from suspected criminals in recent years. High-end goods, such as Rolex watches and designer handbags, are seen by criminals as a convenient and less obvious way of storing wealth."

Aircraft owned by cannabis dealer among items auctioned by Cab (irishtimes.com)

Criminals love ROLEX.

i'm sure they do, but also newspapers will report a name like rolex as its one most people recognise, if they said parmigiani watches do you think it would hit home the same way?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

They love art too. And antiques. Both worlds are heavily cut with the proceeds of crime. As the writer says they're great ways to store and clean wealth. If you ever come into gains, ill gotten or not and want avoid the beady eye or taxman go out and buy antiques for cash. Appreciating wealth you can claim you've had in the family for generations. Vintage watches were in that mix too for a time, because they're very easy to move across borders. Interestingly enough well known stuff like Rolex not so much, because well it was well known. I remember one commentator back in the day reckoning part of the growing appeal and values for steel cased watches was they attracted less attention from the customs types.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Antiques aren't all that great an investment. First you need to know what you're buying, second if you buy retail there's the shop/dealer margin, that's even before you take account of changing tastes that can have a major influence on value.

Buy what you like, don't pay over the odds and enjoy without expecting any financial gain or even to come out without losing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It can depend on the antique. EG nice quality well proportioned Georgian chests of drawers are very stable as investments over decades and considerably safer to economic forces compared to new designer stuff. But I was talking about criminals and their money. There would be a better and safer return on such items than the other money laundering methods. Then we have mutually agreed values which apply to the wider world as well. Diamonds were one for a time, but the wider understanding that they weren't so rare and valuable has put paid to that except in the brand new market. DeBeers came up with the Diamonds are forever line partly to influence people to hang onto them as their secondhand values were significantly lower. In watches precious metal Rolex was another agreed value. Today it's steel Rolex. Such things become currency for a time. Cowrie shells as it were.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

A favour to ask of the posters with Sales Corner access on TZ-UK please?

I'm looking for an Omega 2535:80, the blue Bond GMT. There's 1 on watchuseek but in the US.

My post count over there is still too low to view the sales corner, and I don't want to start spamming threads to bring my count up.

So can I ask those of ye with access to keep an eye out over there for me please? I'll keep posting and will hopefully hit the 50 needed in a week or 3 😂

I think of antiques and art were not good money makers then all the antique dealers and art galleries are in trouble. I think that with almost any commodity if you have good taste, know what you like, buy well and buy quality you will be fine. Quality always sells.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Years ago when I lived in the UK, I went out with a woman in Aberdeen who ran an art gallery. Most of her income came from renting art to the HQs of large companies (nostly oil) for 6 months at a time. The rest came from framing and then selling actual art.

She didn't wear a watch (just to keep things on topic).

Pretty much, though good taste can be variable over time and culture and fashion. Quality is a good litmus, though another good indicator is things that were rare and expensive when new tend to keep their value over time, though often suffer an out of fashion phase. That's the time to buy. I always liked Art Nouveau(the fanceh French kind rather than the British Arts and Crafts) as a style and I remember a time when it was very much out of fashion and I got a few bits and bobs at the time. Lately it's gone a bit down again. Art Deco seems to hold value and interest for longer. Though the best is again French, rather than the later mass produced American stuff. This could be one reason why it has more hold, there's simply more of it and dealers have more to sell. That has a lot of impact on ordinary collector values. This goes for watches too. You can create and sustain a market for something mass produced and more common far more easily than you can for something produced in far smaller quantities.

• Advertisement

You cover pretty much what I posted before about having some knowledge, an informed taste. Brown furniture, Georgian/Regency, quality Victorian was big in my day but apparently has nose-dived since then. Certainly it's a good time to buy it if you have the knowledge to spot what's right from what isn't and it fits your home/lifestyle. Quality always sells over tat but you can buy quality now and in ten years if say the yanks have gone off it don't expect your money back.

The American market is a strange one. Usually massively inflated prices for a start. We see this in classic cars too. Yeah, brown furniture is pretty dead as a mainstream trend. Pine is in, as is modernist 50's and 60's stuff. Victorian stuff tends to be very heavy looking and can overpower a modern room. Scale can be a problem with older stuff anyway as the quality kit was made for big houses of richer people for the most part. That's a hard sale for your average suburban home, with increased appartment living it's an even harder sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭micks_address

Just another an post whinge.. i sent two watches to the UK in last week.. one was marked 200 euro value, the second 50 euro value... neither attracted import charges on royal mail side.. they seem to be letting everything slip through... i wouldnt risk anything coming this way...

There are zero in bound checks in place in the UK on goods from the EU as of yet.

It was meant to begin in October, but is now put off until January, when no doubt it will be postponed again. It's nowt to do with anpost and everything to do with the Brit's not implementing the Brexit deal they signed, despite it hammering their exports.

You'd wonder why An Post had to be so effective at it? They are returning a lot of items that are marked correctly though - i had a phone case sent back a few weeks ago.. they said it wasnt declared correctly.. id worry about getting anything of value sent this way really...

Because Ireland and the rest of the EU have implemented the agreement on our side of the border.

It's not quite flicking a switch but the switch from CN22 to CN23 has been a long time coming and not to denigrate the British...

But, they have repeatedly shown they couldn't manage a piss up in a brewery. When the Brexit deal became effective, all goods entering the EU from GB are subject to the use of correct commercial paperwork and the EU is ensuring that it's all either correct or returned. It is a pain in the hole, but it's the 1st step in acquainting UK exporters with what they have voted for.

The backlog in the UK for goods out is huge and growing. Suppliers reliant on the UK are all shifting their sources and it is going to get far worse for UK exports in the near and medium term. Trade deals with NZ and Aus both have lower standards than agreed in the withdrawal deal and as such, the UK is going to find less and less of its goods exported to the EU. GB started a trade war with itself, and surrendered with signature of the WA and forgetting that whilst trying to join TPP.

Stupidity is far too polite a term for the bolloxology that Johnson and Truss are trying to pass off as everyone else's fault.

PS.

**Rant Concluded**😂😂😂

In a slightly watch related rant insofar as it's the account I buy via 😉

Have my 3rd AML compliance audit ongoing at present. The poor lad who asked for source of funds is currently wading through @750 crypto transactions.

He asked for last 10 trades if less than 10 per year, or the last 3 months if more than 10 per year.

Luckily I had most of the paperwork generated for up to August for income tax return. Just in case anyone wants to know the trigger for 3rd level KYC with Revolut? It's 30k in 6months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭scwazrh

“the last 3 months if more than 10 per year”

and he gets stuck with 750 transactions!!Love it.

i know it’s needed and audits are for the overall good and all that but I do like when you get that feeling that they are sorry they asked .And even more so when it turns up nothing major .

• Advertisement

We had a chat about it a month or so ago here Mick 😁 Our little corner is clearly better than TZ and faster on the uptake 😮

Advertisement