Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best peanut butter?

Options
  • 10-09-2021 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭

I am addicted to peanut butter but have to limit myself due to the calories! Looking for people's views on the best one out there?

Tried manilife deep roast which was gorgeous with big crunchy lumps

Kelkin organic 100% peanuts (small brown jar) also excellent

Kelkin "Normal" range big blue jar (smooth) Grand as an everyday peant butter

Have Dunnes own brand 100% peanuts one in the press unopened

LIDL Maribel one was absolutely vile and barely even tasted of nuts tbh

SuperValu own brand - decent but nothing exceptional

I see the nutshed Irish ones everywhere now - pricey - are they worth it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I always buy Meridian, not only because it's widely available but it's 100% just nuts, no oil, salt or sugar added. It's peanuts processed until they emulsify in itheir own oil. Literally just tastes like peanuts 🙂 They have many other varieties/blends too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Thanks! It has been an age since I bought Meridian so must revisit.

Tbh a lot of brands do 100% peanut butter now (incl the Dunnes own brand one I mentioned above) but it's incredible the difference between them still: texture, runniness, density, flavour, skin on/off, how deeply roasted they are etc.

Post edited by caviardreams on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Anything by the Foodie market in Aldi is excellent - I can recommend this one - https://www.aldi.co.uk/crunchy-peanut-butter/p/084189228028800

Powdered PB is a good option if you are looking to keep calories lower but depends what you are using it for

Thanks - looks very like a Meridiam dupe - I wonder if it's made by them? Will definitely check it out, though I hope if it's more expensive I might buy less, and eat less LOL 😳

I have tried PB2 powdered stuff - it's no comparison really unless baking or something maybe I find. Let's be honest, it's the high fat that makes peanut butter extra yum 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Pip & Nut is the only one I buy now. Once you get it nothing else compares. It's also high oleic peanuts so healthier than the standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Space Dog

You're right, Manilife is great. But expensive.

For a cheap everday pb the crunchy one from M&S is hard to beat imo.

I used to buy only Meridian if I wanted natural pb, but since they changed to jars for all smaller sizes I've had a few rancid ones, which put me off (from different shops at different times). Never happened with the plastic tubs.

I'm not a fan of the Aldi one tbh, it was quite bland.

Oh and the powdered stuff is really handy for smoothies and overnight oats.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Drdenise75

Nutshed honeycrunch peanut butter is amazing! Whole honey roasted peanuts in the peanut butter. Delicious. But it's so addictive it's difficult to put down. And of course it's got honey in it so not 100% peanuts if that's a deal breaker. Their chocolate one is excellent too as a treat! Wyldsson online Irish seller do a good variety of nut butters but not peanut, if you're looking to branch out! The fruit and nut is particularly good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,720 ✭✭✭growleaves

Have you considered making it yourself? You would need a food processor for the nuts.

Use natural honey instead of sugar and it will be healthier.

If that's not practical I'd stick with the organic brands anyway.

Wow some serious tips here guys - thanks!

Will definitely give Pip & Nut a whirl next time I see it and never even thought of M&S. I don't mind spending a bit extra as if you make it last a while it's not a dealbreaker.

Thanks for the Nutshed review Denise - have you tried their plain one? The honey sounds fabulous but would be too tempting I'd say and I'd eat the jar, so trying to keep it 100% peanuts or close enough and no sugar at least.

• Advertisement

Oh and I forgot to mention Harry's Nut Butter - it's savoury, so no good as a sweet spread, but it's amazing on sourdough for lunch, especially if you add some chorizo and cheddar (so don't do this every day).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Manhattan Peanut Butter is divine.

Yes, its a lot more expensive, but it really tastes quite different.

https://www.manhattan.ie/product/peanut-butter-crunchy-or-smooth-palm-oil-free/ (site seems to be down at the moment)

https://www.facebook.com/manhattanireland

They use only North American nuts and its not just Irish, but a real local family owned independent company based in Finglas for over 50 years

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I prefer blending my own manhattans to their peanut butter, it's not roasted enough. A whole bag of manhattans in a food processor is most delicious, and the right amount of saltiness too.

Himself swears by the marmite peanut butter, but it's not my scene.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

If making homemade peanut butter try adding bovril and let hime try that.

Or better still Marmite and Siracha sauce 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Knockdrinner

Big fan of the bulk.ie nut butter, for me it's nicer than the more expensive brands. If you're buying on bulk wait until it's at least 25% off, they have a sale every two days

You see this is what I am afraid of - at least if you eat a 170g jar it's not all that catastrophic but 1kg in one go is 6000 calories 😲 (I honestly wouldn't trust myself LOL)

Maybe I could portion it and freeze it? I see H&B have 1kg of pip and nut for €8 at the moment which seems a good price too. Maybe I just need to put a padlock on the cupboard!

I've just tried the regular Nutshed today! Taste is good but it's a bit too runny in consistency for me. I prefer a slightly thicker texture but as I say, it tastes good. As with all PB in my house, it won't go to waste!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Harry's Nut Butter, particularly the 'Extra Spicy' one, is divine. Expensive, but oh-so-worth it for a treat.

Tried the manhattan PB on the recommendation here. It's certainly very creamy and battery but I found it a bit mild/bland compared to some others.

If you like a really creamy PB though definitely try it!

• Advertisement

Two more recommendations:

Got HealthyCo smooth PB a while back in LIDL, unfortunately it was only available during some organic weekly special thing (I think). Super creamy with an intense peanut flavour. Enjoyed this a lot, hope it's back soon as I haven't seen it anywhere else.

Also got Pic's smooth PB in Dunnes last week, also very good, a wee bit gloopy ( I like PB on the runny side) but also very tasty. 

I have tried Pics since starting this thread and it's very nice. I am definitely a thicker PB fan though!

M&S do a 100% peanut butter that is very like Pip & nut - 1.70 for 370g

Lidl have a new one - sun valley in 1kg tubs - yet to try it.

My favourite is still the brands that do deep roast I think - love the deeper flavour

Post edited by caviardreams on

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Luisa66

Pip & Nut is my top

Natural nutrients and incredible flavor. This nut paste can be eaten for breakfast, lunch and dinner

Does not contain a drop of palm oil or refined sugar.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

We have the Sun Valley one from Lidl at the moment and I like it. Less stodgy than the Aldi version or even Meridian though we haven't had that for a while. I noticed it's a bti sweeter, it must be down to the variety of nut as the ingredients are 100% peanuts.

Going to add Pip & Nut to try as well after reading the reviews here.

The Dunnes own brand 100% peanuts is actually a real grower - great pricepoint too €2 for 320g

The kelkin 100% peanuts (small jar with brown label) is really lovely but they need to do a bigger size as it's just too expensive at €15 per kg. Its a bit thicker in texture and less oily.

The nutshed one is lovely to be fair, also pricey but has a real sweetness to it and goes down easy, not like some that can be quite dense and claggy! Too easy though to be honest!

Oh wow a new one for the list - pricey but a very deep rich peanutty taste; Terra Sana Crunchy with himalayan salt from veganic in stephens green SC - €7 for 500g, but tastes a lot like manilife - indulgent!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

PB storage tip apparently... Leave the jar upside down. This must apply to tahini too. Takes strong arms to get the oils to mix in again.

Is it OK to store nut/seed butters in the cupboard? I know it's fine to eat, but could the oils go rancid and be bad for you?

I like the Kelkin PB, but am going to try the excellent suggestions from this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭lucalux

I have never had a problem with very runny PB as my kitchen is cold, and if I put the one I use in the fridge it'd be like carving marble everytime I wanted any. Tahini I do store upside down when I have it for ease, but peanut butter I don't bother

Cool, dark place, good for a month or more ime. Clean utensils etc, no double dipping helps.

Eat lots and you'll never have to wonder if it's going to go off?! That's what I do anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I don't use pb very often and find that opened jars last for ages in the cupboard!

For some reason it doesn't seem to go mouldy or rancid - and I really hate the taste of rancid peanuts. I turn my nose up at peanuts that other people think are "fine".

• Advertisement

I always store nut butters (and tahini) in the cupboard not fridge. Never had an issue with going off.

Just discovered Nutshed Cinnamon and Raisin - another excellent one from them.

Advertisement