Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Urgent Help - Permission on building a log cabin

• 10-09-2021 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi All,

I'm a tenant in a council property.

I purchased a log cabin recently 6mtr x 4mtr and the work started last week (ground works only). There will only be electricity going in, and the plan was to use for home office/kids play room.

Had a knock on the door today from the councils estate management dept. and they ordered that i halt the build until their architect has assessed what's happening.

In my ignorance, i wrongfully assumed that becuse the structure was below 25 sqr mtrs, that i didnt need planning permission, and also didnt need to get permission from the council to go ahead.

I now need to wait for the councils architect to call out and review and sign off or reject the build. The lady i spoke with seemed to be leaning towards us having to put everything back as it was.

I'm gutted, but its my own fault for not asking them first.

Does anyone have any experience in relation to this or gone through this themselves, or any advice please?

Kind Regards,

Joe

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Council property, they own it.

you need permission from the landlord before making any changes, especially changes which effect the fabric of the dwelling.

timber log cabin may not comply with certain regulations so the council may very well want it removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Check the terms of your lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 joeyt9628

Thanks for the info. Mistake on my part, I had checked the tenants handbook and there was no mention of anything to do with sheds/cabins etc. It only mentioned any changes to the “house”

I had also made sure that it was less than 25sqr mtr, less than 4mtr high (pitched roof) and there is still more than 25sqr mtr open space after the cabin goes in.

hoping someone has been in a similar situation and found the council to be forgiving in the matter, and may be able to give me some pointers or options.

I routed out the tenants agreement that we signed and it states that we need permission for any and all changes to the dwelling, including building garages… sheds etc…

I guess the fate of this is in their hands and I got to hold out on hope they sign off on it when they see the plan.

Hopefully the fact that it sits below the planning permission thresholds, they’ll forgive my ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

I wonder how the council found out about your plans?

• Advertisement

As do I… but sure what difference does it make now right.

Im trying to look on it as a positive now, better that the council stop me before I build any further, than be faced with tearing it down in a year or two.

Post edited by joeyt9628 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

That is probably standard in every lease for any private or commercial property. You do not own the property or the land around it, so of course you would require permission from the owner to make any changes to any part of the fabric of the property or the curtilage that it is situated in.

They might turn a blind eye to a bog standard shed that can be dismantled in 30minutes, but not a log cabin on concrete foundations

I here you. I’m hoping it’s just a permissions issue and I get someone sympathetic that visits and hears me out. I’ve known people to add extensions to their council house (with prior permission) and also, albeit smaller in size; concrete sheds.

The council lady said “you’re no longer looking for permission, you’re asking for forgiveness, they could make you take it out and reseed the grass”

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Basically the Council will let you make changes once you have their permission.

They will even let you build extension etc

I've ha d to apply for Planning Permission for clients that were in Council Houses and we had to include a letter of permission from the Area Office.

Maybe approach them (or the guy that visits you) and offer a certificate of exemption from planning. That will have to be an Engineer or similar engaged and paid for by you, so this may give them some comfort.

Advertisement