Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drug taking on the streets - how can this be resolved?

• 10-09-2021 2:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭sporina

Apologies if there is a thread on this already but with the search function not working I can't find one..

So I live in Cork City and sick of seeing people openly taking drugs on the streets in the middle of the day...

Are the government doing anything about this? The cops? Something must be done for so many reasons... most of all kids should not have to see this..

Thoughts people?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,638 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Cops?

Have I been transported to New York?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,875 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Are you talking about heroin consumption?

I'm of the opinion that safe heroin should be provided to registered addicts in a clinical environment. Perhaps these people have no home to go and consume? Our drug laws are woefully inadequate and out of date, but this discussion has been had many times.

I personally haven't come across this in the city.

2021 and still not a single safe injection facility anywhere in the country is a disgrace.

High Court threw out Merchants Quay planning permission in the summer as the local school objected to it claiming, irrationally, that it would exacerbate the drug problem in the area.

That's what we're up against in this country. Backwards thinking.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I'd get banned if I said what should happen to them. Too many bleeding hearts around nowadays to do anything about them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭sporina

I assume so.. was walking thru St Peter and Paul Pl a few days ago - eve - and a gang wer heating something up on tinfoil - heroin or crack - where ever.. and was walking up Widderling's lane a few hrs ago and 3 lads wer panned out on the steps - and there was a smell.. not booze..

And have seen lots of other activity but you get the picture

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

Create a credible threat of it being confiscated, and on very loose terms.

Any even remote belief in the mind of a junkie that someone could take their precious will have them hiding better than anne frank.

Really?

lol

That's the part of the story you take issue with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭corner of hells

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,398 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

On a slightly related note is the weed today a lot stronger? I can smell the stuff long before I see the smoker. Haven’t smoked in years and reckon whatever the young lads are smoking these days would put me in a coma.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Funny u say that. I used to smoke daily until about 15 years ago (all hash then) had a bit a couple of times with a old friend I've been catching up with lately. 2 drags I couldn't speak properly for half an hr. Felt like a zombie.

On point get the injection rooms going worked wonders in Sydney when I was there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I would not like a safe injecting facility in my community, therefore I would not support inpinging it on another area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,406 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There's ex heroin adicts on methadone for 20 plus years, a complete soft touch treatment which isn't resolving the problem. I'd see them at first light in the city centre awaiting collection of their methadone, such a complete waste of a human life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,504 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Ridiculous to plan to put an injection clinic in the middle of a city, next to a school in the first place.

Stick it down the docks or in the middle of an industrial estate, away from the general public who have to engage with these wasters daily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,108 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

legalise them and provide places for their consumption. I believe the latter at least is what the Swiss did to get it out of view in public parks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,653 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Less streets. Problem solved/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I get ur point but the options basically are they shoot up on the street in the middle of the city or out of the way in a safe room. Which is better? I'm in Cork I know where OP is talking about as does everybody else who visits the city regularly. The gards obviously don't care as they must know aswell. Get them off the street into a room it cleans the street up and they can get the help they need if it's set up properly. I'm repeating myself but I've seen first hand how effective it can be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

That's because you were smoking soap bar daily pal, full of plastic and all sorts of adulterants, ubiquitous in the late 90's and early thousands but the only high you were getting with that **** was from solvents.

Thank god we have proper cannabis as the norm these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Snipers on the roof tops.

Cleanup crews going round in vans to collect the bodies...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

God forbid children saw anything that might scare them. Best to keep them locked away at home forever, wrapped in bubble wrap with a titanium helmet on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭corner of hells

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭chicorytip

We do not need state sponsored shooting galleries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,108 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

You'll have the same view of middle and upper class people snorting coke at house parties of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Why would I? The topic is JUNKIES, ON THE STREETS. I’ve yet to have a middle or upper class person threaten to stab me with a rolled up €50 because I wouldn’t give them money. Or panned out on the street unconscious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Maybe put a shooting up room in a secure facility where junkies can be kept safe and sound and the rest of us can get on with our lives

Advertisement