Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F1 2021 Round 14: Monza

• 09-09-2021 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Does Mercedes still have an edge on this power circuit?

New this week: Sprint Qualifying on Saturday.

Schedule:

FP1: Fri, 10 Sept 13:30

Quali: Fri, 10 Sept 17:00

FP2: Sat, 11 Sept 11:00

Sprint: Sat, 11 Sept 15:30

Race: Sun, 12 Sep 14:00

Weather Forecast: Fine and dandy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I hate this new sprint format and hope they abandon the idea eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I think the sprint race is just an extended version of a normal race, but like a red flag had happened. It just adds extra laps of racing over a weekend. If there is any benefit of having a sprint race, it will be to fix a damaged car after a Sprint and get it back into the race on the Sunday.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Mercedes-Benz haven't had an edge here since 2018. 2019 went to LeClerc in a Ferrari and 2020 went to Gasly in an Alpha Tauri Honda, their second win here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Red Bull seem to be able to skim their rear wing down a lot which should give them some advantage

Expect Bottas to have a snow plough rear wing to give Hamilton a massive tow in Quali.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Me too and that seems to be the consensus on Facebook posts as well. It's time the FIA or Liberty whoever's idea it was abandoned this stupid format and had it just like every other normal weekend.

Post edited by AMKC on

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,883 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Forgot about the sprint format...arse anyway.

Sorry, John Delaney can't be blamed for this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,547 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Whatever about 2019 when Ferrari had a trick engine, wasn't Hamilton winning last years race relatively handy until all the pit lane shenanigans and the penalty?

Nobody is seriously suggesting Gasley had the fastest car in Monza last year. He was just extremely lucky to find himself at the front of the field with a few laps to hold on for the win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭Harika

Indeed, Red Bull at least were stating the next two races to be Mercedes territory. Although you know, it's mind games. The Honda engine doesn't strike anybody as gp2 engine anymore.

Alpine engine looks weakest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I expect McLaren to go well with the Mercedes power and their especially efficient DRS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Must be about time Mclaren got a bit of luck and won a race.

Ms

The way the weekend is set up is all wrong. If they want to do this then the Sprint race should be on Friday and that would decide who goes out when qualifying on Saturday. Its stupid that qualifying decides where they start in the sprint race but not the main race. 

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I think they are having it like that next year?

How would they decide the starting order of the sprint race if it comes before quali?

Sorry, not the same order. The Sprint race would be on the Saturday - but doesn't count for qualification for the main race Sunday, it is standalone. I've not read into it too much, just trying to remember what I heard.

Either ways they want it on a Saturday for TV reasons.

Ms

The sprint race would decide where everyone starts for doing there laps in qualifying.

It would be decided from the last sprint race be it 3 weeks before or in the case of a new season it would be decided on were everyone finished in the last sprint race in the last season.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ah i think i get you. So they Qualify and start both the sprint race and the full race in Quali order?

I heard (this year) they wanted 3 distinct competitive events spread across 3 days to get more people watching on 3 days. With the logic being that more people will watch Friday Quali than Friday practice. Maybe they're thinking of a different format for next year.

Why would we want them to have pre-set order for qualifying? They tried having each driver running one at a time before and they decided not to stick with it. There can be such variation in conditions over the course of a quali. Ir can get sunny or cloudy or even rain during quali. I'm fine with them picking their own time to go out in quali.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 665 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

Can we still blame him for it though? Think he deserves it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Yuki all set for his first day at school

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Qualy on now at 5pm. Should be interesting with the slipstreaming shenanigans. Who'll be the lucky driver in each of the sessions?!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 665 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

Well he has been driving like somebody that needs to be go back to school! His first race was his best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Not sounding good for Charles already...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭rameire

Track Limits on the parabolica are that current and following lap time will be removed if limits exceeded.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Loads of slow traffic out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Tsunoda lap time deleted so Russell squeezes into Q2. Schumacher 4 tenths ahead of his teammate and beats Kubica for good measure

Russell makes it through after Tsunoda has his lap deleted.

Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭This is it

Wow, Mercedes are crazy quick

This doesn't look good for Redbull at the moment.

This is mental, some of those releases and some of those mechanics taking risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

The silly games in the pitlane almost resulting in a mechanic or two getting run over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Giovinazzi into Q3 again. Very good performance from him.

Heard the Alpine and AM might be good this weekend but it's Ferrari and McLaren into Q3. Giovinazzi going great the last 2 weeks.

• Advertisement

Giovinazzi looks like he's driving to save his seat.

I'd go as far as saying I think he has had a decent season overall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭rameire

Bottas taking a new engine and penalty will apply for the main race.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I like the addition of some green on the Alfa cars this weekend:

Ms

So Valtarri got pole. Well good for him I hope he wins this race and every other race that Max does not get to win as a big FU finger to Mercedes.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
    Ms

Ye that's nice. Its a special edition for the weekend for some reason or other.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Yeah not mad on the format this weekend. Friday night qualifying is nice but it just doesn't feel like it means much. Sprint race will likely be a procession with few points at stake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭quokula

It's a really bizarre situation that Bottas is lining up in first for the sprint race while already knowing he'll start at the back of the grid on Sunday regardless of where he finishes. Seems like a bit of an oversight in the format.

Not really. The penalty applies to the race. The sprint race is part of the qualifying process.

They were discussing this on BBC before they clarified the rules. They wondered if Max could take a new engine and take the penalty in the sprint which would give him extra laps to make up places. But it makes sense that the penalty is applied to the race and not the sprint.

Leaves an interesting situation, if Lewis wins the sprint and Max is outside the top 3, Lewis draws level in the championship. So, if it's a case that towards the end of the sprint and Lewis is P2 and Valterri is P1 and Max is outside the top 3, could we get a " Bono I need that point "-"Valterri It's James..." messages to which Valterri replies "To Lewis it concerns, 🙊you"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,883 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Seems like Mercs race to drop really. This practise session should be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Red flag, looks like Carlos had a big one.

Edit: He's out of the car but seems a bit shook. That's a weird place to crash, glad to see he's OK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Way too many of these kinds of mistakes by Sainz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,870 ✭✭✭✭klose

Big shunt from sainz there, looks like the ferrari mechanics have a busy few hours a head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,870 ✭✭✭✭klose

I'd be amazed if bottas isn't told to let Hamilton past him ASAP and then to hold up max as long as he can.

• Advertisement
Advertisement