Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to the Cinema during Covid

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,198 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

All cinemas I've been to so far have had one empty row for every occupied row, and then a two-seat gap between individuals or groups.

Those rules will presumably now be eased in anywhere asking for a cert, but you can probably expect at least a seat gap between yourself / your group and the next group.

As for October 22nd, we'll see what happens - cinemas will be allowed use full capacity, but they might put some limited capacity restrictions in themselves. I'm sure the cinemas themselves are still figuring out what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Jafin

I can only speak about my experience in my local cinema (which is part of the ARC Cinema chain). I went to see Shang-Chi last week and booked my ticket and seat online. The way it worked is that the seats in front, behind and to your left and right cannot be booked by anybody else. I went on my own, and chose an aisle seat, so that meant the two seats to my left, the two in front of me and the two behind me had a big X across them on the website after I booked my seat so nobody could book those seats. If you are booking seats as a group you can sit together though, as I saw that three seats together had been booked before I picked my seat. Wasn't asked for a vaccine passport or anything like when I went in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭OU812

I’m aware. I’m vaxxed and still caught it. However the risk is far lower if everyone in the place is vaxxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭Penfailed

You were vaxxed and still caught it yet you are worried if unvaccinated people are in the same building as you? Why?! You're in the cohort that is least likely to be infected by the virus.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Been to Cineworld about 5 times in the past few weeks. There's probably been 20 between all 5 or so movies in attendance. There seems to be more staff than customers anytime I go. Surely this is not sustainable?

Last movie was just myself and the missus. The one before that, a couple and a man on his own. So 3 other people during the last 2 movies.

• Advertisement

I don’t want to get it again. Although the likelyhood is tiny in the next six months, it’s still possible.

it’s a horrible experience even if vaxxed. I’d much rather highly reduce my chances of getting sick again.

the more people vaxxed, the more this thing will be restricted. If that means that those who choose mot to be vaxxed are limited in their activities, I’m ok with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I dunno either.

TBH even before COVID, I had mostly given up with Cinema. They were so expensive. Last movie I went to see in the cinema the screen quality was very poor with obvious defect in one corner. I complained during the movie but they weren't interested.

Its till more of an event than watching at home. I would still prefer to see my favorite movies in the cinema. Even re-runs of classics. But its been subpar experience for a long time.

I'm not vaxxed but have a Covid pass as I'm recovered. I can still go to the same places that you can.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Omniplex and Odeon have those unlimited offers too for €13/14 a month with only a 3 month contract, savage value right now...

Getting four/five films a month in for €14 is decent in Omnplex with all their screens 'electric recliners' down Waterford anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,198 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It isn't sustainable into the future at current levels, or certainly not sustainable to the extent / scale it would have been (have certainly noticed fewer staff in the likes of Cineworld). That's exactly why many cinemas are taking the opportunity to increase capacity to 60%.

The cinema still is popular, mind. The Light House routinely sells out screenings at the moment - albeit with the caveat that selling out is 50 people (perhaps even fewer than that for smaller screens). I've been to plenty of screenings in the past month or two with three or four dozen people present.

So you’re immune for 6 months… great. What you gonna do at the end of it if it’s still going on, because I’ll be at the cinema and all the other places vaxxed can go.

They're due to be done away with on the 22nd of October...and I was at the cinema last night and didn't have to show anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I see myself going to the cinema less often but spending a few extra bucks and going to a nice cinema like The Stella. They bring your drinks to you!!! I like that level of service and nice seat ,table, footstool

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Cineworld didn't send me any notification of when my unlimited card was expiring, due to closures from lockdowns it ran for just over 2 years until I noticed it expired last week when I was trying to book a film. I find it incredible they would not have been desperate for unlimited customers to renew and give some discount but no they don't even let you know the date it's expiring and lose out on a potential renewal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭santana75

I think the whole operation is a bit shambolic. Myself and a few friends went to see Jungle Cruise a few weeks back and I was surprised to see how run down the theatre was. Seats worn out, popcorn, spilt drinks etc. I thought they wouldve used the time while the premises was shut to do some refurbishment work.

To be fair, they have refurbished a few screens - a few have nice new reclining chairs and extra legroom.

Still a bit of a crapshoot quality wise though. There was absolutely dire sound quality in the screen where I saw the Suicide Squad - not sure what the issue was, but it was incredibly low and muted. Went out to complain and they seemed to turn it up slightly, but still pretty terrible.

What expired? I'm on a monthly payment so mine just restarted when they opened back up.

Perhaps you're paying yearly?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Is Cineworld still playing 25 odd minutes of adverts prior to shows? Aside from the mess, I got sick of how many ads they played before the damn movie actually started.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Yes I was on yearly advanced full payment so renewal is not automatic unlike monthly payment, every previous year they sent me a renewal notification a few weeks in advance of it expiring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

That struck me as well at the cinema on Monday but one can hardly expect a big cinema to operate with the bare minimum staffing wise, regardless of the time of day and a pandemic ongoing. I'd liken it to a bookies operating with one person on; you just don't know what headcase is going to come off the street so decent staffing is a must.

I'd agree that it isn't sustainable and it's worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

lol if you believe that then you believe anything.

Vaccine passports are here to stay unless people take a stand against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,936 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Omniplex have changed their seat separation to be less now. It's 2 seats each side of you rather than in front and behind you aswell.

Im surprised the seat in front and behind aren't blocked out. Would make more sense than the seat 2 seats over.

Hopefully they are here for a while. If people don’t want to get vaxxed, that’s their business, but I don’t want to share the same space as them.

The liberties of one, cannot outweigh the liberties of everyone.

If everyone did their bit, we’d have this thing under control and be back to a much higher degree of normality. Instead we’ve got the likes of Wall, Gilroy & O’Doherty leading their merry band of idiots in their “outrage of the week”.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,246 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I have been loads of times to the lighthouse and Cineworld, always pretty quiet but I tend to go early in the morning or early afternoon, I will miss the space tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭santana75

Yeah I noticed that all right. I'd much prefer the seat behind me is empty, simply to eradicate the scourge that is people putting their feet your seat.

No Vax, No Entry at Odeon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I just got that email. There was me thinking we had freedom of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 80sKid

Cineworld now requiring vaccine certs (or proof of having recovered from Covid-19 within the last 6 month) for admittance to the IMAX & Screens 3,4 and 11.

All other screens are reduced capacity and General Admission (so no seat reserving). Far as I know, they're the only cinema catering to those who are unvaccinated.

• Advertisement

You have the freedom to decide if you want to get vexed or not, they have the freedom to decide if you can come in or not.

Advertisement