Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bought crashed car N.I

• 08-09-2021 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭

A family member bought a car from a N.I dealer on donedeal.

Car was delivered in a truly shocking state ( btw cartell report was good) obvious crash damage, bits nissing , dangerous wheels and tyres ....

Was advertised as spotless, excellent mechanical order, warranty etc. and photos were taken without any evidence of damage - theres no way it wouldnt show on a laptop screen.

Not big money involved, think they paid around 5k. Local panelbeater said it would be roughly 1.5k to get it roadworthy.

Dealer has blocked their calls ( and appears to screen any calls from other numbers . Dealer has several ads currently on donedeal - some expensive enough motors) and dealer is now using a different ph no. Mention this because it is possible others may be scammed.

Is there any advise on this or should they cut their losses ?

I asked what paperwork they got and the car was shipped without even an invoice . cant think how they can get vrt/ plates without an invoice or bill of sale of some kind.

There was only the tear-off slip fronm the v.o.5. - assuming that is above board but somehow doubt it is.

Payment was bank xfer

Are they up the creek? ( have feeling I know the answer)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Without the main page of the v5 document they won't register the car.

I'd be delivering that right back to the 'dealer' but I suspect the person who bought this may not even know where the dealer is located or what his name is or whether he even has a premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Would they not be able issue new v5 from the slip provided or will that be slip be part of scam?

Thanks for your advise

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Someone bought a car without looking at it or getting someone to check it.

Seriously?

Sorry, but frankly they deserve to get ripped off and it might prevent them making a bigger mistake in future.

Main part of v5 is required.

V5 missing export slip for example is ok too.

Without main part, it will not be registered.

You would have to try to get new v5 but they will only dispatch to UK address.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,058 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Was it a proper dealer with forecourt etc or someone selling from a corner of a field?

• Advertisement

I didnt think to ask. Done a bit of googling. Yer man is at it years. Several convictions for clocking and write offs. Doesnt seem to slow him down at all.

Think I will advise to sit tight. If paperwork ever arrives then they can decide to get repair done. Ive logged a complaint with d.d might save someone

• Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Without adding more “I told you so’s” to the mix but who in the name of Christ buys a car this way? If it’s being delivered like this you need to be absolutely sure it’s bona fide and definitely not pay fully upfront- payment on delivery once you are satisfied with the car. If not then no deal. I dread this online selling of cars because even the very best can show up flaws on inspection that you’ll never cop on a screen

M

Was the bank transfer to a company account or personal account?

It was a personal account I think. I really dont know how he got into this mess

• Registered Users Posts: 51,100 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Some people really need protection from themselves. A test case in how not to buy a car.

I cannot see anyway that the buyer can get any recourse from the cowboy dealer. They are in another jurisdiction so I'd doubt the buyer could even go down the legal route and I have a feeling this cowboy is slippery and would need to be chased to the ends of the Earth to get any money back even if you could get a judgement against him. I fear it's going to be a very expensive lesson for the buyer but maybe that is the only good thing to come out of this experience. A very hard and expensive pill to swallow all the same.

• Advertisement

mickdw

Thanks for this helpful advise. If the paper doesnt arrive ( doubt it will)

Could he try to get replacement vo5 posted to a N.I address in his own name or would it need to be in someone elses ownership .Car was N.I registered since first sale if that matters.

Just trying to help him figure some option other than a dead loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Jesas … I’ll be looking for used machine soon and this is scaring me… know you probably don’t want to put name of dealer up yet … but any chance u could pm me name so I don’t get caught out !!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,853 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's bought from NI which is still part of the EU and the UK has strong trading standards. The OPs friend needs to contact their bank, SEPA transfers can be reversed, and trading standards in NI, its possible to get court judgments for the sale and hopefully NI is the same as England where bailiffs can get your money back.

OP they will never be able to register the car here. The DVLA won't issue a V5 to Ireland and they will most likely be hit for VAT if they could register it.

There is a form to fill if you are in the UK and get a car but not the v5.

Possibly v62 - you would need to be UK resident to work that as they won't send anything to Ireland.

It's worth saying that this car could be wrong in some many ways.

It could be a stolen car and plates from not stolen one put on that genuine owner is still driving around in.

It could also be that the genuine car with this reg was crashed so they steal one and stick the plates from crashed one on it. A cheap fix if ya like.

It could be just a rough example that has gone around the trade so much that the reg cert is lost.

Whoever bought like this is nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,621 ✭✭✭✭josip

If yer man has other cars for sale, I'd try to lure him into a meet up somewhere under the pretence of paying asking in cash for one of his cars as long as you see it first.

Up to you how you'd handle it after that, but there'd be debt collectors you could hire that would then have a quiet word with the c**t to get a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭phelimb

If the legal/above board route couldn't resolve this I would so agree with @josip and maybe take a car for a 'test' drive but not bring it back unless the dealer would refund for the other car.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

That method of dealing with a less than scrupilous nordie is probably the worst advice I have ever seen given on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭phelimb

M

In reality with this buyer there's nothing to seperate them from spending €5k on magic seeds from a lad they met on the side of the road, fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

"Not big money involved, think they paid around 5k"

well to me thats big money, should name & shame...or at least give a link to his other ads so that others don't get suckered

Without being specific here is advise that will ensure you arent caught

See a car on donedeal and like it?, google the seller's name and the words car fraud. If it is this guy that 1 measure will throw up several headlines and court rulings .

Beggars belief that a convicted criminal can openly advertise under his own name without fear.

Ya but the feckers are literally trading on that fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Beggars belief that someone bought a car from a known criminal operating under his own name.

Your friend had exactly the opportunity you describe. They could have done precisely as you suggested and saved themselves 5k because the seller in this instance? Didn't try and hide what they were at, your friend jumped without doing due diligence of DoneDeal seller, of all places to throw money at a car 🤦

Advertisement