Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pig slurry.

Options
  • 08-09-2021 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭

Was thinking of getting pig slurry in. Tried to empty the tank now and probably didn't have enough in for agitate it. We gone dry now.

There is a piggery maybe 20 miles away. What's involved on getting some in? Nitrates? Cost? I know there is a lad delivers 6k gallon a time. So trying to chase him. Just wondering any thing I should know before committing? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭sandman30

Yes, you will be required to sign a form for nitrates. 4.2kgN/m3 0.8kgP/m3.

Piggeries like an easy life, they want to deal with people who are reliable and don't argue about the paperwork after the slurry is in the tank, also good access for trucks turning etc. Generally the slurry is free but they deliver it as short as haul as possible, which is usually (during good weather) less than 20 miles. Offering €50 per artic and let them know no hassle with paperwork should see you get it. A lot cheaper than hauling water.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Ya spoke to them and teagasc since. Teagasc say I should have a nutrient plan.

Piggery saying they will look after he lads local to them, they just want it handy. Ie as many loads out a day a they can. Will try another one to see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭White Clover

Make sure it's from the fattening unit. Much better quality than slurry from the sow unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

If it's only for mixing a stiff one op, you'd be just as well getting some local lad with a bigger vaccum tank & getting a couple of load of water for it.

The pig slurry not local to you & import bookwork sounds like a unnecessary hassle for what you want it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

I've turned the gutters into the tank. And will see if the pig slurry comes. Contractor is flat out at the moment and was squeezing me in after cutting silage. Twill work out. Fingers crossed.

Thanks all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Agreed. At this time of year with ground being dry, all piggeries will look after their number 1 customers. If you bail them out in the middle of winter they will look after you in the summer. Best bet is to get few big tankers of water and be done with it for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Just be careful where you get the water or you'll be all over Twitter with pics and comments.

You'll be accused of washing out the tanker or emptying slurry in the water.

Times we're in..

Advertisement