Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elite Suito turbo trainer - any opinions?

• 02-09-2021 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of getting a direct-drive turbo trainer in the €500-€600 range for use with Zwift. I've never had a turbo before.

The Elite Suito looks pretty good - does anyone have one of these?

The other one I'm looking at is the Tacx Flux S Smart. This can go up to a 10% gradient rather than the Suito's 15%. Whether this is really significant I don't know. 10% is about the steepest I would generally do in real life.

Opinions and advice welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Macy0161

DC Rainmaker and GP Llama for the reviews would be your best bet.

The vast majority of zwifters don't move the difficulty level from the default 50% anyway*, so I think a bigger deal of that is made than necessary, unless you have the power to go beyond it's max resistance (not an issue for me!). Things like accuracy/ noise level (if a potential issue)/ cassette included etc probably more a deal breaker.

*for racing, many drop it further. Basically, flattens out the course - easier uphill, less benefit downhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭pairofpears

Check Halfords as they carry Elite trainers. I bought the Elite Zumo there and as I'm with Axa got a discount. At the time it was 15% for Christmas but the standard discount is 10% which could go along way.

Yes, I did the same in Halfords when I got my Hammer. Again, check dc rainmaker reviews of the options, iirc, I don't think there's much between a few of the Elite range in his opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭ARX

I ordered a Suito from Mantel (€519 with free delivery), mainly on the strength of this review. Hoping not to need it for a few weeks, but I thought I'd better get one before everyone else in northern Europe starts thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 BurntAsh

I bought one several months ago. Seemlessly connects with zwift and runs great. No complaints whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭g0g

Another happy Suito owner here. Used the Cycling Ireland discount on CSS and it was around € 600-ish. Connected up with Zwift no problem at all and picked up a cheap ANT+ dongle which you'll need for HRM. Wasn't a fan of ERG mode on Zwift but that might just have been me not the Suito! Overall very happy with it

Did it come with a spacer for installing a 9-speed cassette (like https://www.bike24.com/p259996.html)?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭mitchelsontour

Another happy Suito owner here, yes it came with the spacer for the 9 speed cassette.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

As a matter of interest, general question - do you get much use out of the turbos? I dont have one myself, would much rather just go out on the road.

However I've thought of getting one for the winter. Are they mainly a winter thing?

Thoughts?

I think it depends. Some people hate them, some tolerate them, and some don't mind them at all.

I use mine 5 or 6 days a week, following TrainerRoad plans. It fits in with my work/ family life far more than outside spins/ workouts (TrainerRoad has outdoor workouts too). Bang for my time buck. I dabble in zwift, but to be honest it's a long time since I've done anything on it (I do use it concurrently with TrainerRoad for XP's and somewhat realistic distance stats). Over lockdown's, I did some events and racing too though, and may do so again over the winter. But if it's sweetspot or under, I'd rather watch something on GCN/ Netflix/ Prime than go for a zwift spin.

I think a lot comes down to the set up - I've a dedicated space, in a shed. Big TV, good wifi connection, 3 "air mover" fans on remote sockets, rocker plate. If the weather is rank on a Saturday, I'd rather be in my shed on the turbo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭mitchelsontour

My only caveat was that I initially found using the trainer very rigid and unnatural compared to being out on the road.

I built a simple rocker plate and it was like night and day a much more natural and more importantly comfortable experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Just picked up one of these. Early days but so far I really like it. Build is excellent and it feels rock solid.

Pairs really quickly with Zwift and TrainerRoad. I had an Elite Trainer before and this wasn't always the case, so happy days. Calibration on TR is also excellent. And it's so quiet compared to other models I've used.

Will mostly be using mine with TrainerRoad over the winter, with a little bit of Zwift Racing.

Currently have my TT bike on it but I'm tempted to try it with the good bike.

Just as aside, did the calibration work in a workout? Since they updated the app, calibration only works in TrainerRoad from Devices in the main menu for me with my Hammer over Ant+ (rather than going to devices from the workout, which used to work)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Did it via the Devices menu. On the desktop version.

In case anyone's thinking of buying it, Rose have it (without cassette) for €479.

EDIT: the bad reviews are about Rose customer service and delivery times, not the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Bought the Zumo last year from Halfords, got it for less than this so it's jumped a bit. Still €484 incl the 10% discount (If they still do it for cycling equipment)

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭lochdara

I got my suito direct from rose bikes shipped by friend from germany. Its a nice unit. I bought an 11-32 casettte to match my rear wheel.

You will get 1 month subs for rouvy, zwift, bkool and 1 other.

Elite app isnt so great but works ok. I find it disconnects from the HR monitor if I leave the range and doesnt connect back in. Saying that its very easy to import maps from google maps.

I just bought some new shoes at the weekend from Rose Bikes online and had no issues. Shipped yesterday.

Post edited by lochdara on

Currently fundraising for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association

In Memory of my fab Wife www.sinsin.ie

Advertisement