Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling routes around Cork- about 75km

Options
  • 07-09-2021 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm from Cork, living in Galway for over 15 years. I'll be down in a few weekends and would like a few hours cycling. Maybe about 75km give or take, any recommendations? I'll be staying in Glanmire but that doesn't have to be my starting point, could be handy though if it is.

I'm from Bishopstown, would know- to Kinsale and back airport road is once I've done, down around Rinkaskiddy (via backroads) or Passage West and ferry to Cobh.

Cheers,

Pa.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

No good reason no to start from Glanmire.

That pocket of land east of M8, south of the Bride, west of the Cappaquin-Youghal section of Blackwater (the new bit so to speak!) and north of N25 is a lovely place to ride a bike.

Lumpy but rewarding, sample below starting from Little Island

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33723777

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Cheers. I almost fell off my chair when I saw over 3000 in elevation, then noticed it's feet and not meters. Looks like a nice route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

It was lovely but there is an endless amount of options just in that area.

30km to 60km odd of this route was lovely to.

It would be easy to make a nice loop out of that also.

Cork is a brilliant county for cycling in general

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Maxx355

Out to Coachford, up the windy gap onto the N40, cross the road onto to Kilumney etc and back via Ballincollig. Go through the city and back if you want to avoid too much climbing. East Cork has some great routes, say down to garryvoe onto castlemartyr, you could come back the main road a bit and get off at Carrigtohill and back to Glanmire then via back road, alternatively you could go through crossroads at Castlemartyr and all around to Midleton but there is a good bit of climbing on that route.

Glanmire - Carrigtohill - Watergrasshill - Glanmire is a nice loop as well. Some great routes North as well, in the Direction of Glenville.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Was just about to say you could go glanmire-watergrasshill-glenville-ballyhooly-killavullen-carrgnavar-glanmire or something like that. Plenty of roads in between that to chop and change the route to suit you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

I used to cycle out past SARS GAA in Riverstown. Basically going east / north east towards Leamlara and loop around down to Carrigtwohill. Occasionally went up to Tallow. All that area around there has roads that are fairly quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

One of my favourite loops in the area.

Two nice spins from Bishopstown here:

Lee Valley: https://www.strava.com/activities/5493594726

Old Head: https://www.strava.com/activities/5461605771

The second one is very nice and can be made a lot shorter.

Advertisement