Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,477 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I think London has a strategy, touched on most recently by Peregrinus. In that the UK are spoiling for a fight. Look at the hay they made out of the quickly resolved matter over Art 16 and the vaccine. The UK needs an enemy. The whole point of extending the deadlines is that the UK knows that it cannot live with the deal that it signed, but cannot be seen to admit that they got it wrong, it must be that the EU are in the wrong.

We have already seen the groundwork for this being laid with the line that the Protocol is not being interpreted correctly by the EU, in other words Johnson and Frost signed a brilliant deal, but those rotters in the EU are wrecking everything.

Anyone with any degree of critical thinking can see that, despite whether one thinks the EU is too soft etc, these continual pushbacks of implementation is an acceptance by the UK that Brexit is nothing but negatives. If there were positives, they would be crowing about them and demanding implementation sooner rather than a delay.

Unfortunately, the media in the UK will not even broach that subject. You won't hear the likes of LK, Express, Times etc asking that question of why another delay is required and when exactly will Brexit actually be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭yagan

What you're describing is tactics, but no strategy.

The number priority of any government is reelection so noise and bluster is all we're ever going to get as they never had a plan for Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭KildareP

Lots of noise this morning about proposals to hike National Insurance to fund the NHS (where'd that £350m a week that they were promised go you might ask?) which seems not to be going down well amongst the public.

The vaccination programme, and all of the wins that the Tories put down as a benefit of leaving the EU, looks set to be undone as there appears to be an increasing likelihood that the UK may well have to once again face more lockdowns heading into winter.

On top of all the other Brexit issues which are not going away, quite the opposite in fact as we head towards Christmas I imagine supply chain issues will become far more apparent and harder felt by all, it's truly setting up to be a winter of discontent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Hiking national insurance to help with care for the elderly is a good idea and having seen the lack of facilities in Ireland when an elderly in law was in need,perhaps something Ireland should consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Johnson's"let's put Union Flags on the vials" over the top backing of the "British" vaccine Astrazenica does look set to backfire as it becomes clear that it is a much weaker defense than the MRNA vaccines

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I saw an Express headline this morning pointing the finger at Johnson but I forget what for. Fishing perhaps? Anyway, it's not the first time I've seen headlines from that sort of tabloid that didn't immediately try to pin the blame on the EU.

The national insurance rise? It boggles my mind that they'd even consider this. The Tories are supposed to be the party of low tax and business though obviously not the latter. What this is in effect is a way to prop up the NHS while those most likely to need it don't have to actually pay for it. Meanwhile, handouts and tax cuts to the top 1% will continue unabated. If there's something to kill Johnson at the next election, it'll be something like this. It directly affects too many people and is perfectly emblematic of the sort of corruption he stands for.

My job search on the continent is progressing poorly as well, annoyingly.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 16,967 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

No, it is not. Hiking income tax (not NI) to fund the backlog of NHS treatment is a good idea. Raising NI to protect the inheritance system is a bad idea

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The elderly are by far the wealthiest demographic in this country. Saddling more of the fiscal burden onto the working class is deeply unfair considering this.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭KildareP

It has broken one of their manifesto pledges. I imagine the angle from the opposition will be to attack them for breaking one manifesto pledge followed by immediately questioning their truthfulness on others, i.e. whether Brexit did, in fact, get done. And just where did that extra £350m a week go?

What's even more mind boggling, is that if you were to say "Well they will raise NI to keep the pensioner voting base on side", I'd probably accept that - except it looks like they're not going to stand over their triple-lock commitment either!

There is a sizable portion of the Tory vote that is a little embarrassed by social aspects of the Tory party but still votes based on the "I worked hard for my money" anti high tax principle. This is the group that made "pro business Labour" Blair and "socially liberal Tory" Cameron such successes.

They will get over a lot of Johnson's cronyism and the stupid and horrible things he has said over the years but this I'm alright Jack crowd won't take empty shelves and tax hikes

• Advertisement

Indeed. There were signs of fracture in the coalition when the Lib Dems began making gains in Tory seats in the south. Seems they were not keen on paying to invest in the north and this was well before this proposed tax hike.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭yagan

Nicola Sturgeon just announced in Holyrood that covid permitting it is her intention to hold IndyRef II by no later than 2023.

Now unionist Brexiters will have to use the same remain arguments they once opposed.

Better together 😂

I want Scottish Independence just out of pure revenge so we can see how the English who ignored all questions about NI and cant even find Derry on a map can finally experience having to live with a real border and not just a tunnel that they sweat so much about

I don't object to paying extra taxes/NI to help my country but looking at the way events have unfolded this afternoon,I agree with your post.The government proposal appears to hit the workers whilst the older,wealthier appear to be relatively untouched.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The point is that goods allowed into NI can freely enter the Single Market so, yes, if the UK were to let noncompliant goods into NI the EU would have a legitimate gripe. The NI Protocol is the agreed arrangement to ensure that this does not happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Is the UK claiming that it will maintain alignment with the EU as long as the "grace period" is being extended (unilaterally)?

No, they've said nothing about that. But obviously they run the risk that if they move out of alignment with the EU in relation to goods that are the subject of the grace periods, that increases the risk of non-compliant goods entering the Single Market via NI, and the EU may resume its enforcement action against them. The UK doesn't want that, so that gives them a reason not to move out of alignment.

What the UK has said is that it's extending the grace periods ""to provide space for potential further discussions, and to give certainty and stability to businesses while any such discussions proceed". This is also their rationale for not nominating a new end point for the extended grace period; "in terms of creating the space for talks about substance more deadlines aren't helpful."

In other words, it's all about extending the grace period while discussions about a long-term resolution continue. The corollary is that, if discussions cease, the UK's rationale for extending the grace periods evaporates.

In response to the unilateral extension, the EU has said it "reserves its rights in respect of infringement proceedings" and that "we will not agree to a renegotiation of the Protocol".

Putting all this together, the UK will want to keep talks with the EU going, since once those talks stop on the UK's own account there is no justification for continuing the grace periods, and the EU will likely resume enforcement measures. But if the UK tries to make those talks about "a renegotiation of the protocol" the EU will stonewall them, provoking an end to the talks and the resumption of enforcement proceedings, which the UK very much does not want. So the UK is incentivised to engage in talks about how to implement the Protocol, not how to renegotiate it — which is what the EU has wanted all along. So - as so often during the Brexit process - the particular standoff appears to be sidling towards a resolution on the terms the EU wants more than on the terms the UK wants. Fingers crossed, anyway.

On top of all this is the matter of the UK's import controls on goods imported into GB from the EU. You'll recall that, when the transition period ended, the UK was woefully underprepared to operate these, so it gave itself until 1 October before it would implement them. The EU was fine with this, since it confers an advantage on EU producers - they have unfettered access to the GB market, while third-country producers do not, and while GB producers do not have unfettered access to the EU market. When the UK finally does start applying import controls to goods imported into GB from the EU, this will hit Irish producers - particularly the agrifood industry - pretty hard.

The Irish government is trying to link the two issues - suggesting that, in return for the EU accepting the extension of the NI grace periods, the UK will refrain from imposing import controls on EU imports to GB. The UK government denies that there is any link, and says that it hasn't decided what it is going to do about import controls into GB.

Quite a number of observers have pointed out that the UK still seems to be woefully underprepared, in practical terms, to operate import controls. Plus, of course, doing so can only exacerbate the disruption and shortages that GB is already experiencing, and will likely drive up inflation. So they reckon that, whether or not there's any link to the extension of the grace periods, the UK will not be imposing many new import controls on 1 October. It would suit Ireland well if the two issues were linked, since that provides a further reason why the UK would be slow to impose import controls, but the UK doesn't seem to be falling for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Well the changes to national insurance and the abandonment of pension controls appears to indicate the money well is taking a really serious hit. On no metric were these decisions taken lightly. Gaping holes are obviously appearing in public coffers. Expect more abandonment of public services and further push of costs on to business and the public.

The electorate will have to start turning and the opposition are going to now have to really start capitalising on what's going on..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,042 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Thank you for your response. Yes I get that about non-compliant goods going into NI, which is why I referred to Britain rather than UK. But does NI import that much from elsewhere than the EU? If there were a surge in imports then the EU could get interested, but goods going into Britain are supposed to be controlled between Britain and NI at the sea border, is that being ignored too?

Nor do I but this isn't to help the country, it's to save Tory donors money. Fine when Johnson needs his flat decorated, not so much when it comes to the welfare of the nation. It's disgusting and I'm hoping this sinks him the same way the dementia tax scandal did for May.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

NI currently imports much more from GB that it does from the EU, and the risk is that noncompliant goods imported from GB might find their way from NI into the EU.

Goods going into GB from NI (or from the EU) not been controlled on entry into GB is indeed being ignored by the EU. But why would the EU object? In the first place, it is advantageous for the EU. In the second place, and not unrelated, UK has not made, and was never asked to make, any commitment to the EU which is being breached by not controlling EU-GB imports.

The people who might reasonably object to unregulated imports into GB are (a) Brexiters , who were told that Brexit was about recovering control of borders, not abandoning it, and (b) third countries, who are unfairly disadvantaged by having their exports to GB controlled when EU exports to GB are not controlled. But Brexiters vie with one another in demonstrating their willingness to allow Boris Johnson to piss all over them, so they are not likely to raise any objection. And the recourse available to aggrieved third countries via the WTO complaints process is very slow; they'll mostly be hoping the situation resolves itself by political means in less time than it would take to pursue a WTO grievance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I think the only countries that would make complaint against the UK at the WTO over their preferential treatment of EU imports would be those trying to damage the UK and or use it as a lever in some other unrelated dispute they have. Basically states already quite unfriendly to the UK for other reasons who are also in WTO. China?

I think most of the rest of the world saw Brexit and the way the UK conducted it, as completely nonsensical. The fact that for all the angry rhetoric, the UK has been quite slow to implement key aspects of Brexit in reality (Customs on EU imports) is expected by them and no great shock.

I dunno. I could see a US president getting quite shirty if US goods were subject to all kinds of expensive delays and checks and standards on being imported to the UK, while competing EU goods were waved through. That's obviously not a level playing field for US producers. I think he would argue strongly that if the UK unilaterally grants uncontrolled entry to EU goods when not obliged to by a trade agreement, then the most-favoured-nation principle requires it to grant similar uncontrolled entry to the goods of other nations with which they don't have a trade agreement (including the US).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

GB will soon realise that these import controls + duties is a revenue stream and then you will see the checks and controls implemented properly.

It isn't that simple. They've not been checking goods from Europe for decades. You can't just implement that sort of structural change overnight, even if we did have sound government. You also need people to do the checking so you'll lose a fortune there as well.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

True - but they do have the wheels in motion already (albeit slow), so it will happen at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Yes, I suppose it can't last forever. Some country will complain if it goes on too long (say, years rather than months) and it could be the US. I think the UK will have done something about it before then though, even if they are in a bind right now because this will be another shock/disruption for the UK economy on top of everything else. The current situation is quite unfair to their own exporters vs the potential competitors in the EU exporting goods to the UK post Brexit.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The UK's rate of exports continues to decline with them about to drop off Germany's top ten list of trading partners for the first time in over seventy years. Taking back control indeed :-/

Britain is on course to lose its status as one of Germany's top ten trading partners this year for the first time since 1950, as Brexit-related trade barriers drive firms in Europe's largest economy to look for business elsewhere.

In the first six months of this year, German imports from Britain sank nearly 11% year-on-year to 16.1 billion euros ($19.0 billion), Federal Statistics Office data reviewed by Reuters showed.

From a British point of view,trade with the US is increasing year on year(in both directions) and trading with other none EU countries also rising.All of which confirms the UK and EU are drifting apart.

• Advertisement

I was wondering who would be first on here with the Tory spin

Advertisement