Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,464 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It was never supposed to win. Winning meant the battle was over and the Brexit warriors were now irrelevant and the likes the likes of Orban, Salvio and LePen will forever kick up a fuss about the EU while being $h1t scared of ever actually leaving

• Registered Users Posts: 26,098 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

No. The implementation of Brexit was always going to be a harm minimisation process; there is no realistic form of Brexit which benefits the UK and makes its situation look attractive to continuing member states.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

We’re hearing a lot about labour shortages in the UK today, and there are quips galore doing the rounds about new tax rises notwithstanding the (alleged) Brexit dividend plastered on that famous red bus…

…but if the following has decent basis, the UK faces significantly more important, and rather pressing, problems:

…not least, this aspect of it:

What (…more) could possibly go wrong?!

Varadkar said this morning that he is very confident that the UK will offer to extend the grace period so it looks like Oct 1st is off

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭moritz1234

Shortage of drivers is a smokescreen - Cabotage is the main issue!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,665 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

It will go on until everyone has forgotten and the UK ends up with a Norway style practically in soft Brexit which is the only practical solution

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I've seen a lot of talk about that. The Brexiteers not realising that EU drivers do a lot of drop offs and collections within GB itself - they don't just deliver a big load to one warehouse and head straight back to the Continent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I remember seeing a joke once about an annual ritual taking place in Brussels in 2100 where an envoy from the UK delivers a formal request to extend the transition period and everyone wonders what the origin of this strange custom is.

I'm happy for the grace period to be extended. I'm hoping that once things settle down, the British will realise how essential close alignment and cooperation with Brussels is. I'm inclined to agree somewhat with @breezy1985 above though I'd add that the shortages seem to be attributed to Brexit as opposed to the EU which is a small source of encouragement.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I have started to wonder if, after 10 years of this nonsense and constant extensions, we'll end right back at the start and Whitehall declaring Norway status - that first ring of May's infamous red flags - like it was always the plan.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'd say we'll end up with something roughly equivalent with enough token concessions to placate moderate Brexiters like retention of blue passports.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 17,665 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Yeah I remember reading the same joke, at the time i thought it was pretty good satire but it really seems like it may become reality which is brexit in a nutshell.

Black Rod in Brussels trying to kick his way into the EU council chambers to deliver the Queens request for an extension while the MEPs try to block and jeer him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

I don't understand this extension to the grace period, does it come with any pre-conditions the UK must adhere to?

What's stopping the UK filling sausages with crap that don't meet the EU's standard and sending to NI? Surely it's time the EU blocked further extensions and insisted the UK implements its sea border checks as agreed .. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I don't think this is (or will be) something being provided to the UK with conditions etc. or even agreed with the EU, so the media terming it an "extension" etc is a bit strange to me.

The UK is just not implementing the agreement fully. At the moment it is being allowed to get away with it for various reasons.

There's nothing (much) to stop them shipping any old shíte across to NI and then that rubbish coming South and moving from here over to the rest of the EU if what Sefcovic has said before about the implementation of the protocol is still correct (i.e UK is falling very short of doing EUs customs checks for it on the GB goods going to NI).

At the moment it is not a terribly serious problem, but the more they diverge from EU regulations (as they promise to over coming years) and the more they import from "Rest of the World" and remove themselves from trade with the remaining EU members, the bigger the problem gets IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

It's not an extension. It is a blatant failure of the UK to implement what was agreed. There's nothing stopping them flooding NI (read the EU) with their cheap crap and the EU stands idly by. The EU needs to lay down the law if Ireland's position in the Union is to remain unfettered.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The Guardian are reporting that the grace period on goods entering NI from the UK as been extended 'indefinitely'

The move was 'coordinated if not agreed upon'

Which suggests that the UK did this unilaterally and are on very shakey ground with the EU on this move. The EU are reserving the right to push forward with legal proceedings to hold the UK to their side of the NI protocol

The UK are due to begin imposing import charges on EU goods at the end of September. They're nowhere near ready for this, so I can see a further extension to this deadline also

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The grace period was extended unilaterally, the EU did not agree to this. The EU has a legal case against the UK but it was paused over the summer. This legal action will be advanced further if the UK do anything to provoke the EU into feeling that the UK are trying to pull a fast one

I'm not sure that they need to do much about it (or that this happening is much of a threat at present). I mean they can react fairly quickly if or when the UK does that (or takes some other action to step up the hostility/aggression). The ball is more in the UKs court but one problem (IMO) for the EU as this continues on indefinitely is that the UK not abiding by the agreement and suffering no consequences whatsoever damages the EUs reputation (as well as the UKs). edit: It makes it look like agreements made with the EU are optional, you can twist them to suit yourself afterwards. The EU-UK relationship is a bit of special case (and others will probably allow for that), but it sets a poor precendent for the EUs credibility/seriousness.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Yes, it does strike me as making the EU look extremely weak. Sure the UK are clearly proving every day that not only was the deal itself a crock, but that Brexit itself is a disaster and they are doing everything they can to avoid having to actually face it, but it does seem that the UK is being allowed to bend and ignore rules simply because they are important and trade is big.

What does that say to the US, China and the likes of India? Make a deal, complain you didn't get exactly what you want, and simply ignore the bits you don't like and the EU will simply push everything into the never-never.

• Advertisement

I think it just shows what we already know that the EU are the only grown ups in the room and are handling things pragmatically while having to deal with a shower of spaffing muppets.

The EU doesn't have a land border with any of the countries mentioned above so it's a very different situation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭rameire

So the UK are extending grace periods which to me means they have to stick to EU regulations of all products that could enter the EU market which throws a spanner into their drive to be individuals and their race to change their specs to suit what they want.

In addition to this they have delayed their implementation of imports checks into their country meaning any person company or country can still export to the UK any products without any standards or regulations as they will not be checked upon import to UK.

This will mean the UK flooded with cheap crap, home businesses will not be able to compete with the influx of cheap products especially if they are trying to keep up standards for EU countries.

This will lead to UK businesses not being able to survive and reducing the export share of UK goods and products. Thus giving a greater share to closer EU businesses who will then be able to take over where closed UK businesses have left meaning an export of wealth and a reduction in size of the UK GDP.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

True about the border, but something else will replace that as a bargaining chip.

What it shows is that the EU is willing, in certain circumstances to accept that the rules are flexible.

Once you go down that road or placating the other party, others will see that as an opening and look to take advantage.

I don't see any positive to the EU from continuing to act as if Brexit hasn't happened.

I get it that this isn't the 'win' for the UK the likes of the Express with exclaim it to be, but a deal has been made, time to accept the reality of that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Not weak - the EU are doing everything in their power to avoid confrontation in NI. If there was no GFA or peace process, they would be telling the Brexiteers to get stuffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

The Eu has Some clever cookies representing it(as Bertie said at the Brexit committee meeting with Hilary Benn) and ,

NI is slipping nicely and quietly into Eu control via a United Ireland.

Luckily, Feck all happened during July marching season, so Imho the unionists are a bellicose busted flush . The recent success of Wright Bus under the protocol in a staunchly unionist area represented currently by Paisley, is exactly how real wealth will change attitudes to a more pro Eu stance.

Once a UI is achieved, the sea will become a proper fortress Europe border and the Uk can be easily smacked into line then.

Yes the grown ups , are playing the long game without being seen to be the bullies and doing the wrong thing to the poor toddlers, but ultimately know exactly what they’re at , while keeping peace as an EU CORE value.

No, I don't see it as a positive either. It definitely suits Ireland short term, the government here just want things to continue as they are, the Brits stop their shouting at us for wrecking their glorious Brexit (they are getting their way here, so will be a while before they spit the dummy out again), all is quiet up North, NI border stays open etc. I am unsure if the govt. here actually care much now (IMO) how or when UK implements the NI protocol, but I think the situation is very unstable.

The UK made a unilateral decision they were not going to implement any more of the agreement until October. Nothing happened, indeed the EU stopped legal action against them. Now they've are pausing things as they are indefinitely, another unilateral decision breaking the agreement.

The next step will be to start to phase out "Protocol" related document checks and the like at the ports and see how the EU responds to that action.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭yagan

The thing about any NI business passing proscribed GB goods onwards into the EU is that they then risk being banned entirely from future access to the EU market, so it's highly unlikely any will take the risk. Even if not applied by London there is a defacto business border in the Irish Sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,098 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

An NI business can't be "banned entirely from future access to the EU market"; that's the whole point. There are no controls of any kind on trade in goods across the NI/RoI border, so such a ban could not be enforced, and of course the EU has no right or ability to operate within NI, fine NI firms, etc, etc.

The EU's recourse, if noncompliant goods start entering the Single Market via NI, is not to take action against individual NI firms, but to take action against the UK, in the form of enforcing the Protocol.

The EU's in quite a strong position here, because we have an unquestioned right to enforce the Protocol - the UK has freely signed up to it and chosen to be bound by it. So we don't have to prove that noncompliant goods are entering the SM, or get the UK to agree or acknowledge that they are, or anything of the kind. Because non-enforcement is simply forbearance by the EU, we can change our policy and enforce it at any time when, in our own judgment, non-enforcement is having consequences for us that we don't like.

It seems to me - and I think not just to me - that the UK's strategy for quite some time now has been belligerent, performative denial of its obligations in an attempt to provoke a confrontation with the EU, so that the painful consequences of Brexit can then be blamed on EU intransigence, bullying, etc, etc. The EU strategy of not enforcing the Protocol in full until events make it necessary, but also not saying what events would make it necessary, seems to be to be quite a wise response to that. The EU will decide if, and when, and over what, there will be a fight, which prevents the UK from selecting a battle-ground that will play well to the certified loon wing of the Tory party.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭yagan

The London strategy is simply no strategy. I've to take my first trip via ferry to Britain since January soon so it will interesting to see if any infrastructure has been installed in preparation of their lauded new British standards regime for imports.

Post edited by yagan on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Wouldn't it be the WTO who might take exception to the British open borders situation? The EU doesn't really have to do anything, does it really make any great difference to them whether Britain allows anything and everything into the country? (I'm asking, I am not sure).

Advertisement