Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Average Electric Bill

Options
  • 07-09-2021 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭

I think my electric bill is very high but dont have anything to compare it to.

It is usually about €170 per month. We live in a 3 bed semi with a converted attic / office. We have 3 kids living at home. Usual tv, white goods, 1 pc, phones etc.

Is this very high?

If it is very high, what could be causing it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Housefree

Is your heating electric?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Yes it is high in my opinion.

The largest contribution to domestic electricity bills in ireland tends to be from things that heat. This would include but not be limited to immersion elements, cookers, electric heaters, and instantaneous showers.

An air conditioning unit would be an expensive piece of kit to run too if you had it as would a mining rig.

I'm not a fan of electric showers, I'd rather use the hot water in the tank heated by the oil, which is what I do, pump in the hot press then feeds the showers. Use immersion in the warmer months and that usually does the showers and house then for the day with very little left over by night, I know a lot of People say the shower heats only the amount of water you need, true but the heating is on a lot more than it's off during the year so why add to the cost heating water if there's a tank full in the hot-press going to waste ? + as I said we just about get the day from a tank using the immersion in the warmer months.

Out electric bill is around this but I got night rate leccy so all the heavy loads are on during the off peak times which the introduction of the smart meters seems to be doing away with as they introduced a 3rd band called peak band to catch all those cooking the dinner between 5-7 pm and the Government spouting about smart meaters going to make bills cheaper. I've seen companies greatly reduce the night rate time now for those with smart meters. Anyway, for now I will keep my standard day/night meter.

I also drive electric car from Carlow to Dublin and back each day 5 days a week, sometimes get some free charging for half the trip sometimes not. Weekend driving and extra driving is on me.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

An oil boiler is preferable to heating the water electricity but it is still quite expensive. A modern gas boiler would be far cheaper to run but better still would be a heat pump or solar panels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Are you sure that is for 1 month and not 2 months. I have a modest 4 bed wife and baby and the figure you quote is more like 2 month usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Thats very high.

Did you switch to those new smart meters recently.

A lot of people getting caught out by the expensive plans that are the only ones available with smart meters.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, my first reaction was also that that is more likely the figure per bill rather than the figure per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Monthly bill, just checked my bank account to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

For comparison, my house is a 4 bed detached house with gas for heating (family of 5). Our monthly bill is just shy of €100.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

There's something awry there. I'm in a 4 bed semi, with a similar/same load (minus the kids but I make up for it with a lot more electronics) and my bill for two months is €153, heating and cooking is all electric, no gas/oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

€170 a month for a 3 bed is a lot, especially considering these are the summer months. Have you checked if any appliances are faulty? I'd be looking at say the fridge is permanently running the compressor due to a leak or fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭John.G

Well water pump??.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭3d4life

I think my electric bill is very high but dont have anything to compare it to. It is usually about €170 per montDo you have a clothes dryer ?

@ OP

Do you have a clothes dryer ?

Do you know what price you are paying per unit of electricity ?

When did you last change electricity provider ?

When did you last visit Bonkers.ie ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Change supplier and get solar PV.

Most expensive bill I had was €114 for two months in the winter, lowest is €50 during the summer.

Solar works,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

If you said 170 for 2 months in summer in you situation I'd say it was high.

We've never had a bill of 170 for 2 months.

So for one month, yes it's high

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

4 bed semi-D, 2 adults (both full time home based), 1 child, plenty of electronics, electric over, Electric car, bill is roughly €100 per month (€1,200 per year).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

+1 One of the biggest culprits, though often more than that. They should always be wired with light that comes on when it runs.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭3d4life

We live in a 3 bed semi with a converted attic / office

This doesnt sound like a well water situation.

*** Awaits OP to clarify ***

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I'm not doubting you and I know some accounts Monthly but mine is Bi Monthly with Electric Ireland (esb) , might be just worth checking the actual bill, for example mine reads 61 days (2 months). I suggest this as I know some customers set up payments over 12 months on a budgeting type plan/option.

I do think your bill is high if its Monthly and I think the electric showers are the main culprit. Perhaps dryer,Kettle, Emersion etc. Essentially anything requiring an element to heat water very, very costly.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

3 bed semi, gas hob, electric shower, oil and solid fuel, 65 pm, I adult, 1 11 yo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Cannabis grow house in the attic conversion?

My bill just came in. Smart meter, so actual readings rather than estimates.

555 units used in two month period.

€143 bill.

It used to be €230-€250

Biggest use was always washing machine and tumble dryer. Used also for an Airbnb property linens and towels.

We checked settings and moved to one hour or 40 minutes wash cycle. (Absolutely no need for 2hour+ wash cycles)

We Let clothes dry naturally for a couple of hours and finish the drying in the dryer.

Similar to dishwasher. We give particular plates a quick clean under the tap and used the 30minute cycle.

Bills dropped immediately and substantially.

So with 2 adults and 3 children, I would suspect that the big users are washing machine, tumble dryer and dishwasher.

Agreed, washing machine, tumble dryer and dishwasher all have heating elements and tend to be on for protracted periods hence they consume a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭passatman86

About €160 a month here with pre pay power, smart meter..

Question - anyone else with pre pay power in a family home, did you change your rates option or is it necessary..

And anyone on pre pay power broadband - what you think of it, what is the daily or weekly charge

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

I track costs (for fun, honest - I do nerdy stuff with data so I use this sort of thing to practice with). I happen to have tracked bills from 2008 when I started this gig.

That’s our usage above. We’re heavy users. Full house, lights always being left on despite my best efforts. lots of iot things etc

Washing machine & dryer going most days. Heating is gas (figures also tracked). I do change supplier every year for the discounts though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what happened between nov/dec 2014 and jan/feb 2015? that's a 50%+ jump. estimated reading vs actual, i assume?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

That was the time electricity jumped very quickly to the levels we are currently experiencing.

Prices went on a downward trend after that until this year's increases

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

How many kWh per month are you using OP?

Seems high all right. It's not your provider, it's consumption. Something is causing excessive usage. Speak with an electrician maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭dublin49

4 bed with Attic ,1200 a year sounds right to me.170 a month is way too high.Are you sure it doesnt include your gas?

Advertisement