Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broombridge Interchange

Options
  • 01-09-2021 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me if the Sligo inter-city trains call at Broombridge to connect with the Luas Green Line and if not, then why not? Seems an obvious no brainer.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It does not, and most people would agree with you, it is a no brainer. In fact, you weren't the only one to think of this recently, see this thread here. I believe the OP there has started emailing people about getting the train to stop at Broombridge. PM the OP to find out who they've email, they'll be able to tell you more.

Also, when emailing your local politicians, be sure to include your name and address (this is basically the only type of email in which I'd do this), as they'll always take a query from someone who can vote for them way more seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

In the future it seems hard to imagine a sligo train going through glasnevin Station and not stopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

Give Irish Rail the chance. Every chance they won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭mickey15ie

how busy is broombridge station in the evenings?

Is there any risk in the evenings say around 530/600pm of not getting on because the train is too full?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,314 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Used it a lot this year around that time and there has never been an issue. Always plenty of seats available on the M3PW trains. For Maynooth trains I usually get a seat, and the very odd time it's standing only, but never uncomfortably overcrowded. Over a period of time you tend to work out which is the best carriage to go to.

(I assume that's the direction you are talking about - if heading towards Dublin CC then you can have an entire carriage to yourself)

• Advertisement

yes was referring to going out of town towards maynooth

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

On the interchange topic, I wonder will Sligo trains stop at both Glasnevin and Broombridge?...

The trains currently stop at Drumcondra but I don't see the need for that in future.

Ideally we'd have an Intercity network that stops at one dedicated Dart stop further out of the city. Perhaps it makes more sense for Sligo trains to stop at Castleknock (Blanch). Passengers could use a Dart to get there and it would also allow lots of buses to connect in.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭specialbyte

In future I suspect that Sligo trains will stop only at Glasnevin. You want intercity trains stopping as little as possible. Looking at each station

• Drumcondra is good right now as it connects to Swords Road buses to the airport and North Dublin
    • Broombridge connects to Luas Green Line to the city centre and in future up to Finglas.
    • Glasnevin will connect with MetroLink to the airport, which is better than what Drumcondra can offer. You can use MetroLink to the south city, which is better than continuing to Connolly. It will connect with F-spine buses to Finglas, which somewhat covers what a Broombridge Luas could offer. At Glasnevin you can also connect to the DART+ South West line to Celebridge/Hazelhatch.

The Glasnevin station offers the most connections. It offers connections to all of the same destinations as the other two options and in many cases does it better. IMHO intercity trains should stop at Glasnevin and no where else.

Only thing is drumcondra connects to the mater hospital, croke park, st pats so cant see it going anytime soon.

In any case, Glasnevin Station isn't included in Dart+ application so it's probably 2028+ best case.

Luas Finglas is also 2028 delivery. However Dart+ West has 2025 delivery, which is not that far away. For now, both Broombridge and Drumcondra would seem like a no brainer for Intercity connections from Connolly, or even Spencer Dock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Metrolink also has a stop right outside the Mater, so it would be even more convenient 😉

But yes the other 2 connections mentioned will be lost

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

But if Sligo trains are stopping at Glasnevin, passengers can change there to a DART to Drumcondra (or numerous other locations such as Spencer Dock which would not be possible from Drumcondra) if they wish. Glasnevin is by far the best place for Sligo trains to stop.

Wait, I'm confused!!!

After studying the Dart+ West Railway Order, I see serious limitations at New Spencer Dock and Glasnevin interchange.

I thought both of these stations were being upgraded to allow full interchange between Dart+ West / South West, and Drumcondra / Royal Canal lines?

Even at New Spencer Dock, only platform 4 (the western most platform) allows trains to switch onto the Belfast line, but only the outbound direction. The inbound direction from Belfast would have to continue around East Wall to Dublin Port.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is no current intent to run any trains from the Northern line in to Spencer Dock.

There will be frequent trains between Connolly and Glasnevin so it would still require one further train to Glasnevin just as switching at Spencer Dock would.

But have they actually made it clear how many trains from Dart+ West and South West will go to Connolly versus Spencer?

The plans for New Spencer Dock are fantastic - it would seem like a bad investment if most of the new Dart trains didn't use it.

Also, are they not trying to eliminate as many trains as possible going into Connolly to make the Coastal Dart more frequent? At the moment you have up wait up to 5-7minutes in North Strand waiting for a green light into Connolly.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There are proposed service diagrams in the documentation

Thanks. Do you know where? There are so many documents, it's difficult to find specific stuff.

I found it - of course it's a guide only - realty could be very different.

An extra 2 trains per direction per hour will go from Connolly to Glasnevin via Drumcondra - I assume this includes Sligo intercity, Longford / Portlaois commuter trains.

Based on this, I would expect majority of Dart+ West (and South West) trains to go directly to New Spencer Dock via either Drumcondra or Royal Canal.

As per Irish Rail from December 11th:

Additional stop at Broombridge on selected morning Sligo to Connolly and evening Connolly to Sligo services, to connect to Luas.

Some morning Sligo services have huge recovery time and can hit Drumcondra on time when they leave Maynooth 6-7mins late.

So if they can somehow make them not leave Maynooth late this extra stop won't impact them at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

DART+ West will be delivered by late 2029, early 2030 by my estimate all going well.

When I say all going well there is a new crisis in the brewing, Dublin is going to see the development of DART+ West, Coastal and South West, 16 Bus Connects Corridors, Metrolink and an expanded Cycle network at about the same time, all starting next year or 2024 and continuing to 2033. This will require tens of thousands of construction workers. We don't have that number of construction workers available in this country so we'll have to import them, and there's 400 available places to rent in Dublin on Daft. How this will be managed has yet to be determined. Not to mention the cost pressure this will put on private sector construction projects.

Advertisement