Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girls Aloud star Sarah Harding has died :(

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

Yeah great entertainer and taken way too early. I hope it urges more people to be more aware of Cancer. Very sad story.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,422 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I wouldn't be a Girls Aloud fan by any means but that is really tragic to go at 39 years old, really sad.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Very sad to hear the news about Sarah today. Such a beautiful bright lady who has gone far too soon. May she Rest In Peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Very tragic. I was sorry to hear her reveal her cancer diagnosis earlier on during the year when she said she wouldn't make it past Christmas. Rest in Peace.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Very sad and tragic to see a young life such as Sarah Harding's come to a premature and untimely end. Cancer is an absolute bitch. My dear cousin Geraldine also lost her battle with breast cancer 12 years ago at about the same age.

Rest In Peace Sarah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,866 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s such a weird disease... most medical people who work in the field of cancer are pretty much resigned that there will and can never be total ‘cure’ for it. Just better treatments and so on, including better surgical options to remove tumors.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Very tragic for such a young person to die from this disease. One thing I learned, as a man, was she seemingly found a lump under her armpit iirc. I never knew that was a indication of breast cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭notAMember

RIP to this lady or anyone dying so young from this.

@Strumms Cancer isn't one thing, so I don't think anyone with medical or med-science or research training in cancer treatment would be that resigned. Many treatments are considered cures or preventative.

Take the HPV vaccine for example. That protects against head and neck cancers as well as anal cancer in both men and women. It also protects against penile cancer, cervical cancer, vaginal cancer, and vulvar cancer.

Since smoking has been understood to cause certain lung cancers, less people now smoke and rates are dropping off.

Hereditary nature of some cancers is better understood and tests are available to check for these genes before cancer has occurred.

Personalised medicine (Chimeric antigen receptor T treatments (CAR-T) / gene therapy ) has numerous successes at curing certain cancers and research is ongoing to widen that range. Tisa-cel (Kymriah) or axi-cel (Yescarta) are CAR-T treatments for B-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Successfully cures many patients. Brexucabtagene autoleucel, also known as brexu-cel (Tecartus) - for mantle cell lymphoma. Idecabtagene vicleucel, also known as ide-cel (Abecma) - for multiple myeloma. *not an exhaustive list, examples only.

There is reason for optimism with many forms of cancer. Prevention is of course the best objective, early detection is next best, and finally robust treatment.

So very sad, and it is kind of shocking to hear of such a young woman dying of breast cancer.

Which raises the question in my mind, at what age should women begin having routine mammograms as well as obviously self-examination?

I only had my first earlier this year, (via Breast Check) and I am 50+

A member here was diagnosed with terminal breast cancer in her early 30s. She has been very vocal on other social media about young women being told they're too young, because even though it's rare, it can happen. I knew a woman who died at 32 from it. I think we should at least start checking our breasts in our 20s. Screening mid 30s imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,544 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I recently heard that two ladies I went to school with died within a year of each other from cancer a few years ago - they were best of friends from the age of four and both mothers - both diagnosed in their mid 30s.

Really hard to believe.

Aw man, it's absolute sh1t. What a waste... :(

Advertisement