Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

parkrun, lap two

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Hopefully having missed 18 months of parkrun will show people what a good thing that they have and they will be more inclined to volunteer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,076 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Dublin events not back til October apparently

https://twitter.com/BushyDUBparkrun/status/1431291524059443203?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭Genghis

This is great news. Guessing it's events that have any potential to be over 500 that are still on ice?

The fears of events getting overwhelmed never came to be, was witness to this myself at an NI parkrun a few weeks back where I never met anyone from ROI, nor spotted any ROI cars in the car park.

40000 in croker last week

24000 this week

1600 at women's inter Pro tmrw.

It's nonsense at this stage

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Any definitive list yet of those who plan on returning on September 11th? My local in Macroom is back anyway so pleased to see that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Cardiff which would get 900 plus regularly only had 400 last week and another event in Cardiff was cancelled after one of the core team tested positive after their trial event the week before... Still no overcrowding at the original Cardiff event though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

If you look at the future roster page for events, the ones that are blank are most likely back in action on the 11th. Looks like Mallow Castle also back, otherwise I'll drive to Macroom :)

go to parkrun.ie and look up the event you want to find out about.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

That should only be taken as a very tentative possibility for that event restarting as it's not consistent when HQ populate the columns with the no event this week text for future weeks.

Once you see volunteer names listed for a particular week you can take that as virtual confirmation of the restart.

• Advertisement

Dublin parkruns have no event in 11th and 18th September, others don't. I am just taking a guess but..

Absolutely, but don't make plans until you see names on the roster. There was a couple of local events to me which had empty lists until the week of the restart, then they switched to saying no event. But it wasn't consistent across the country when the tables were updated.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Lee's Road coming back on the 11th

We are back. Our 250th parkrun will take place on Saturday 11th of September @ 9:30. So spread the word. All you have to do is bring your barcode and observe these few rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Tramore isn't back on the 11th, hopefully Waterford nature park will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

Surprised they haven't released a list of actual events going ahead (they've stated the exact number of events so must know)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,234 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

A lot of events still deciding I'd say. My local is debating to go ahead on the 11th or delay by at least a week. Still only the 2nd.

I'd just heard it quoted as a number which had permission to return. They didn't actually clarify if that was permission from parkrun HQ (not going to cause HQ any conflict with numbers and government regulations) or if it was permission from landowners as well. They were not saying it in terms of a number that would be returning, just that they could/ possibly/ maybe/ might.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

New signs up in Griffeen marking the parkrun route.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Back next weekend!

My concern is that I hope all the volunteers that make it happen are still interested

• Registered Users Posts: 4,961 ✭✭✭opus

Really looking forward to it. I'm involved with a few of the parkruns around Cork & the groups are really chomping at the bit to get going again. Mind you a few team members won't be back 'til later as they have vulnerable people at home etc & so are justifiably being cautious.

See it even made the paper today - How to tackle the return of the 5km parkrun

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/fitness/how-to-tackle-the-return-of-the-5km-parkrun-1.4663105?mode=amp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Are the Junior park runs expected back at the same time?

Mad really that the kids have blasting into tackles at GAA since April and we cant get this back up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

Any going ahead on the Dublin border area as Dublin seems to be a no go .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Naas is. Thinking of going. Can’t make sense of Dublin not opening as the ones close by might be overrun.

It will be because there are a couple of event which have previously had over 500 participants so they want to at least give the impression of aiming to follow the rules, even though they won't turn person 501 away.

Based on the other restarts though people don't travel en-mass, even to nearby events that are open. The numbers were still significantly down on the event I did last week despite good weather and schools being back so people were no travelling. People have just found other things to do on a Saturday morning and will take a while for numbers to ramp up again.

I would have been mildly concerned about numbers in some specific locations before the stages of the UK restart, but now seeing the numbers have no concern about similar in Ireland.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Odd one alright. There are only 3 events in Dublin that would ever come close to 500. Given the reports of numbers down where other parkruns have opened I wouldn't see it as a big risk. We seem to be overly cautious as a nation though so maybe this is just a further reflection of that.

I belive not opening Dublin comes from HQ. I doubt they think it would reach those numbers, but just in order to not annoy local governments... Then they go along to them in a couple of weeks and say that numbers are down, but very slight risk of 501 turning up at parkrun X, we're a great public health organisation, what will you do to us if 501 turn up?

Much like DCM having to cancel this year because they had no guarantees regarding restrictions and covering costs in the absence of being able to get insurance for such things, parkrun needs assurance from government that they won't get shutdown if 501 parkrunners turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Re Junior Park run - I dont think so. Our local one hasnt been on, I dont think any of them are.

There could be any number of reasons for an individual juniors event to have not restarted, but all juniors across Ireland have permission to restart from parkrun HQ now.

Local landowners permission and volunteer numbers are different things which might be why they haven't restarted. Have a look on the Facebook pages for your local event to see if you can pick up a hint of why they might not have started yet, or email them nicely and ask what the story is and offer to volunteer if you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 BuddyList

I can't see any reason why every parkrun would not be back on 25th right? (providing they have the volunteers to run it) Government are lifting all restrictions on Outdoor Group Activities on September 20th.

Advertisement