Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The White Lotus [HBO] *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,994 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

complete nosedive of a last episode.

seemed so incredibly rushed and they had no idea how to neatly tie up the storylines they created.

Rachels decision was complete BS, there was absolutely no reason in the whole 6 episodes for her to make that choice.

Shane being able just to fly off after doing that was complete BS

Quinn at 16 being able to do that was complete BS

at least the two spoilt bitches were still two spoilt bitches by the end

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Well that's sorta the point, nothing gets neatly tied up in reality.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,994 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

and thats exactly my point.. there was nothing at all realistic or reality based about the conclusions

rachel stays with shane after so many examples of him being a narcisstic selfish manchild, and after he stabs someone to death... with all her well established doubts...... realistic ??? really?? no way

and quinn at 16 decides to simply stay in hawaii with no family and go rowing with the brahs .. cos.. you know well... humm.... that would most likely be the real outcome... nah

the last episode was pretty much antithesis to everything that went before it and suffered greatly for that

Post edited by sydthebeat on

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭The Bollocks

Worst show HBO has put out in years. John From Cincinnati levels of shite

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

The music is from "Na Mele Hawaii: a Rediscovery of Hawaiian Vocal Music" Album by The Rose Ensemble 2014

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Wasn't the music throughout it really cool. Never heard a bad song.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

Soundtrack really stood out for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Rachel showed throughout what a complete flake she was and how she couldn't make a decision for herself. It is completely realistic that given the choice when leaving paradise that she could go back to a wealthy life or one of poverty that she'd at least give the wealthy life back home another try - given how back home she never realised what a terrible guy she was marrying.

I think you're looking at this as a firm ending for the characters when it didn't appear at all like that to me. Rachel didn't seem sure of her decision in the airport and there is a good chance she'll leave leave him again at some point down the line. Similarly, Quinn's parents were so against his choice that they'll obviously go back for him and demand him to come home (if he doesn't realise living on the island outside of the resort isnt quite the same). Everything isn't tied into a nice neat package and it didn't need to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Amberjack

Just finished this last night and I enjoyed it, but I think 6 episodes was plenty. But, I can’t for the life of me understand why the 2 girls slept on the coach in a huge fancy suite and Quinn in the kitchen. Surely they had enough money to get them at least one other room, even if it was smaller. Also, what was the point of the pregnant intern? That storyline didn’t really go anywhere.

It was very quirky and kind of reminded me of The Grand Budapest Hotel. Will watch season 2 whenever it airs.

Guess Shane had the bail money?

Were the two horrible girls humbled a bit or did they go back to being as horrible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Managed to my viewing out over a few weeks. Thought the show was great. Possibly my favourite of the last few years. A rare example of where a set of constraints (eg limitations of filming during covid) result in something special being created.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Brilliant satire on wealth in America. Every character had an agenda and the whole story had a delicious mix of decadence, stupidity and manic comedy.Murray Barlow was terrific as the hapless hotel manager - he reminded me of Basil Fawlty.

The whole atmosphere was bathed in a golden light ( must be peculiar to Hawaii ) but I thought the soundtrack was a bit subdued at times making it hard to follow conversations. I see a series 2 has been commissioned - something to look forward to in the winter ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Watched the first 3 episodes. Very enjoyable Fawlty Towers-tinged anthology of dislikeable characters, but whose various obsessions/addictions highlight the superficialities of the modern world.

Soundtrack is by Cristobal Tapia de Veer, with his distinctive sound; the most famous of which is for Utopia

Finished this last night. The drama got better and humour got much better as it went on. Though, as others have pointed out, the denouement in the last episode dampened the effect, where the ends of stories were tied up unsatisfactorily, for different reasons. Still though, overall- great show. Love the idea of different hotel for next season.

Finally got around to watching this.

What a pile of dysfunctional and dislikeable counts.

The friend-of-the-family freeloader girl was possibly the worst and most hypocritical and deluded of them all.

Hope for the sake of the Resort Manager guy that the younger hotel gopher lad had a good scrub at a bidet before the arse-munching scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,024 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Michael Imperioli is set to star

Aubrey Plaza to star

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Theo James, Meghann Fahy, Will Sharpe and Leo Woodall join the cast

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Advertisement

It looks like he's back for season 2 as well.

Really looking forward to this. What's not to like about the facade of the idyllic life slowly unravelling under the weight of less than wholesome personalities, with their secrets and machinations? It's not sun-soaked escapist schadenfreude at all at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,798 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

This was delightfully batty fare!

Great to hear there will be a second series.

The White Lotus will return for season 2 on Sunday 30th October on HBO Max in the US and there's some good news – night owls in the UK will be able to watch the show at the time it goes out in America.

If you're willing to stay up into the early hours of Monday morning, you'll be able to watch The White lotus at 3am on Sky Atlantic and NOW on Monday 31st October. Otherwise, you can stream it on catch-up later that day, or watch it at 9pm on Sky Atlantic when it airs again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I watched all of Series 1 yesterday, and the first episode of season 2.....

Really enjoyed it, obnoxious dislikable characters, but riveting.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Yes, series 2 is shaping up to be as good as 1. A delicious mix of vanity, greed and stupidity. Sicily looks even nicer than Hawaii.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

Any similarity to the soundtrack with S1 and S2? I thought some of the music in S1 was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Different , but similar.

It wasnt as noticeable in Ep1 of season 2 - It is immediatley noticeable in Serie 1, not as much in 2 (yet?)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Best hour of TV I've seen in a long time. I'm hooked already .Great to see some older actors back on our screens too - Michael Imperioli, F Murray Abraham, Jennifer Coolidge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭kerplun k

That’s some d**k on your man.

Advertisement