Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

planning permission for circus

Options
  • 05-09-2021 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭

Our neighbour has rented his field, which borders our garden, to a circus! (and didn't bother mentioning it to us at all)

Its a drive-in circus which encourages the audience to beep their horns throughout the show!

Apart from being an eyesore, our kids can't get to sleep at night and due to the noise and car beeping.

Is there any way to object to this formally apart from talking to the owner of the field?

Do they need an event licence to hold such an event?

My initial enquiries reveal that they don't need any as its private land and the noise doesn't go on past 11pm but i find it hard

to believe that there is no way to object to this.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,839 ✭✭✭✭muffler

A license is required for such an event. See Part XVI of the Regs - page 219 onwards here .... https://www.gov.ie/pdf/?file=https://assets.gov.ie/118297/b65e91a5-ea82-460a-9f8c-cc6bb8c754f5.pdf#page=null

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

There is so little fun in the world any more, most of the magic of our childhoods is gone from handing it down to our children. Is it really going on that late at night? Isnt it only one or one or two nights in the year? its not like the magic of the old days of horses, Elephants, camels etc.

Its just going to be clowns and acrobats. Kids have little enough magic in their lives. Give them one night away from the xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭nino1

Thanks for that link, I must ask the council about that tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭nino1

Totally get where you are coming from.

I am more concerned that it wont be a one off event and could be the first of many

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Get in on the action.. 😁💰️

But more serious, I can see your point. A friend of mine in another county was in a similar boat almost 10 years ago. We thought she was being a bit of a grump, but it turned out to have been the 3rd that year. She wasn't being told when they were happening and there were 3 more after Christmas and before Easter the following year. It was still dark at 5pm and a lot of drinking.

She enquired about it (as none of us knew what she could do) and they then had to fill out forms and get licences or something that they weren't doing properly. Anyway, they knew it was her straight away as somebody from the council told them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

How many Circus big tops acts are still going. The last time I was at one was at a regional town and it was one family (family of 3 cousins). They days of Duffy and Big Three Ring, etc etc are on the way out. The Business model is dying, insurance and animal rights have destroyed it. I personally love the circus, especially the Russian and Chinese state circus. These are not coming to the field next to your house. Live and let live.

Now if he wants to start rallying hotrod cars and Biker weekends that is a different matter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yes, but. it'd be basic common decency for the neighbour to let the locals know.

Advertisement