Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭jiminho

Been a while since I posted but thought I would chime in on this one. Not sure what, if any, the setback requirements are in Ireland/EU but here in Canada it’s 300m. It’s required largely because of the potential for odours. Obviously the closer you are to the source, the higher potential that the odours haven’t diluted in the air to the point you can’t smell them.

Couple of comments:

-Looked up the posting and that house is within 150m of the WWTP which is quite close BUT the WWTP is located to the east so take in to account the prevailing wind from the SW.

-Hard to tell for sure from google maps but looks like they have open air tanks which means higher likelihood of odours to escape.

-Looks like they did an upgrade at the plant which included a new odour control system in 2018.

In summary, the only way to find out for sure if it’s an issue is to visit the house and see if there’s an odour. I would also drive right up to the WWTP to see if there’s much of an odour coming from the plant. One item to note is that odour can fluctuate throughout the year depending on humidity so overall, you’ll have a higher likelihood of getting a bad smell at the house on a day with easterly winds and high humidity. I think humidity in Dublin is typically higher on average during the winter months.

I hope this helps but I would proceed with caution. If I were you, I would knock on some of the neighbour doors to see if there is an issue with odour before committing to a purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Eclectic Econometrics

The conversation is around what is the controllable part of immigration. So EU & UK is uncontrollable. That said, I have no idea why USA, Australia & Canada were separated from rest of the world earlier, is there some policy between those countries and Ireland?

I feel your annoyance fella. Especially on Boards there are a couple of bogeymen presented as the cause of all the ills in Ireland. But Amadan has a point too, which they've made respectfully. I think sometimes if adults are not the ones to have these conversations then the worst type of people take up the mantle of turning them into simplistic talking points.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Not playing you're game, be they blonde swedes or Nigerians, increased immigration effects demand

• Registered Users Posts: 19,955 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭lossless

Rightly said.

This is a numbers game, and anyone trying to bring the conversation to an end by pretending it's racism and the sort...seriously, seriously suspect as to their actual motivations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,278 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The problem with the housing crisis is that too many think that fixing one it two issues will resolve it.

It is much more complicated. But let's deal with immigration. First off we are in the EU and there is freedom of movement. That leaves the pesky non EU nationals. So who are these. There the Brazilian's working in the meat factories, the Asian and African doctors in our health system, the African and Asian taxi drivers, similar with hotel and security staff in Dublin, along with the nurse from the Philippines that are working in nursing homes and the health services. By all means we can stop them entering the country but the latte you get on the way to work will be impacted by there removal from the system. Finally you have about 40 k non national students at 3'rd level that helps keep this system going.

But immigration is only one if many factors. I made a point.on the M20 thread that it was one of the most critical pieces of infrastructure in the country in that it could provide an economic counter balance to Dublin and redirect employment and investment away fro Dublin. The fast tracking of it would attract commercial development away from Dublin.

Housing regulations are a huge impediment to development in Ireland. While all new houses must be A/B energy rated so must all houses that are redeveloped/ bought back into the housing system. The Ber rating system rates a 2' thick old stone wall house at the same rating as a 60's 4'' block with an uninsulated cavity wall. This is be a huge impediment to redevelopment of older housing stock. Present D rating is more than adequate for this type of stock. Getting accomodation above shops and businesses back into the system will not be possible until these and fire regulations are ammended. Add in the cost of other compliance regulation and housing costs are soaring. A local lad has applied for one off planning at present it will cost 3-5k in professional fees just to get planning sorted. Certification after that cost another 10 k.

Labour is a huge issue. It's seems to be a right of passage for school levers to go to college/ university. We rack and stack them in arts courses. We have a massive fayre in the trades apprenticeship sectors. As well where 5+ years ago an apprenticeship took 4 year's now it is hitting 5 years as the college part is completely overwhelmed at present with the numbers doing them. If we try to up numbers going into them we need to restructure the whole system. As well how do you encourage school leavers from Dublin to do apprenticeships when access to third is easier for people from Dublin than anywhere else.im the country.

And we have not got to land or financing costs even yet

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Beigepaint

Ireland is attractive to foreigners as a byproduct of recent successes. This is a good thing for the country and forward thinking working age persons with kids like myself approve of it.

If we want to get rid of the smelly foreigners we could always turn the country back into the economic backwater it was until the 90s.

Blaming foreigners for housing shortages is only two tiers above gutter level talk of n words and t heads.

I've an issue with those who rush to use the ism card when the immigration factor is highlighted, I'm not saying immigration is the sole or key factor

For some however, it must never be acknowledged as having any influence

Good points on most accounts. Better infrastructure, decentralisation, although I'm torn on the effects of deregulation/re-regulation as to outcome.

Regarding immigration, it is, in my opinion, the most direct factor in housing, and a change in that area, surely, would have the most immediate effect. And considering it's a housing "crisis", expediency and impact should be priority.

As for eu freedom of movement, the statistics from the CSO for 2020 (which I'm obliged to say run from April 2019 to April 2020) show that more than 79% of immigration was from outside the EU27.

As said before, we don't have a labour crisis nor economic crisis. You mention that "it may effect you getting a latte on your way to work", I can only hope you're being facetious! Pandemic accepted, the youth employment in the country is "eyewatering" according to The national Youth Council back in April, at 64%. Of course that will change, but the point is that there are plenty of people to fill beginner/basic roles.

• Advertisement

Did it take you long to construct that diversion, or is it innate at this point?

What do you say to 300k promised dwelling units versus 360k immigrants in the same period, as to fixing a housing crisis?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

300K dwellings would easily house 360k immigrants. Though 300K dwellings, might still be not enough to solve current housing issues.

Are you being facetious too?

The implication is exactly what you state. Yes, it will surely be enough to house those immigrants, and absolutely yes, it won't solve the housing crisis. Because of itself.

What must be borne in mind is that this is the projected outcome for nigh on the next decade. If one were to simply "sit tight", the next possible chance for some improvement won't arrive until 2030. "Possible" chance.

And that is delirious to accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Beigepaint

Saying if we get rid of the n words we will have plenty houses is reductive nonsense.

We could easily have a surplus of 100,000 homes in Dublin City Centre except successive Irish governments are ideologically opposed to not milking their tenants.

Rent generating policy is king and immigrants are irrelevant.

There's only one person here trying to poison conversation. What do you think you're doing, bringing the likes of "N-word" into it?

Are you that dirtily minded?

As for this magic "100,000" due to "government ideology"...that's just more airy-fairy nothingness. Vapid platitudes and condemnations with, I strongly suspect, more than a hint of agenda beneath.

So I'll ask the question, again, that's founded on statistics and reality, how do you square 300k versus 360k in fixing a housing crisis? Make sense of that for all to see, and leave your filthy language out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭enricoh

Hugely informative.

So if 100,000 net immigrants arrive here in the next 3 years that'd be irrelevant to the property market?

I think it's all relevant. But not sure what's the complain about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

Maybe we should stop country folk migrating to the cities. That would have an immediate impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭enricoh

If 100000 net people left Ireland in the next 3 years any sane person would say it'd reduce demand, however if extra people arrive here it doesn't increase demand according to some people!

Even better than that, some clowns think it's racist to say extra people= extra demand!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,278 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

No I was not being facetious. A lot of lowpaying/ minimum wage work( sub15/ hour in Dublin) is filled by migrant labour from non nationals. Take these out of the system and the country grinds to a halt, They drive the buses, run the taxi's, work back of house in the hotel, food and beverage sector. A large section of our building labour is non national now. Truck drivers are another area where there is a large non national cohort. The food production sector is heavily dependent on it

So the latte was just making the point how dependent we are for foreign labour. The young unemployed from Dublin will not pick your spuds and veg, drive you taxi, bone out your beef and lamb carcasses, fillet you chickens or fish. Neither will they work on the trawler going to sea on a Friday night.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

ok, agree with that. All estimates on housing needs are based on population growth. Even Central bank estimates of 34k New Homes, it is based on assumption of 30K Net Immigration. With 10K Net Immigration, annual needs fall to 26.5K.

Obviously if more people come to live in the country then leave, then we need more accommodation.

Of course, there is plenty of accommodation in the country. It may not be in the middle of the city but there is plenty. Perhaps people need to be encouraged to live outside of city centres? Particularly the ones who live in social housing, no need for social housing in the centre of cities.

If it's a numbers game, it makes no difference whether immigrants come from EU, non EU, UK or wherever. I'm not sure why some posters are singling non EU migrants out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Timing belt

It will be interesting to see what the ESRI report will say when it is released on the 14th

Oh it's that obvious is it?

And why are people "singling out" noneu27 immigrants? Simple, because it pertains to the EU freedom of movement and was directly asked.

Instead of the nebulous "encourage people to not live in parts of the country" how about the far more straightforward "how about not accommodating extraneous people from outside the country during a housing crisis that already don't live here yet?"

How about housing people who can't house themselves away from centres of employment and instead allowing the people who want to live close to work, live there. Regardless of ethnicity.

Because one thing is far easier than the other, not to mention the sheer numerical difference.

And where is ethnicity coming into it? Do you think kiwi's are the same as Argentinian are the same as Japanese are the same as Norwegians?

Or are you just tripping over your fervour in a rush to twist the conversation?

You are the one that brought immigrants and in particular, non EU migrants into this conversation and made our 'housing crisis ' about them.

Why would I possibly think kiwis are the same as argentinians?

So? I already answered that. The eu27 numbers were brought into it because the question on EU free movement was asked. That's twice I've answered your question. Are you going to ignore it again?

Why did you specifically mention ethnicity? Nobody else did.

I'll tell you why did it. You did it for the same reason that the other person brought the word "N----r" into it, the same reason another brought "racist" into it. You and your type are attempting to flavour conversation so that it is distasteful and therefore end the conversation. Dreadful behaviour.

You have no more interest in the problems of this housing crisis than I do in becoming a pineapple. You're here for one thing, and one thing alone; to stop people talking.

Or, as an offer of sincerity, you could answer the question that you point blank refused to answer earlier. How do you square the circle of 300k versus 360k in a housing crisis?

The biggest problem I see in the housing market is government supplying social housing and HAP to people who cannot work, in the centres of employment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Timing belt

There is a need for immigration to fill gaps in the labour force and these people have a right to live somewhere just the same as a Irish or EU Citizen as they will be contributing to the economy and tax take.... Also they have a visa for a set period of time so are unlikely to be buying properties and more likely to be renting. If your argument is purely about numbers and not just a xenophobia post then you also be encouraging people not to have kids as this, or to prevent Irish immigrants from returning home as this also leads to an increase in demand.

Granted if companies are hiring non-EU citizens for positions that can be filled by EU Citizens who want these jobs then that is another story and I am sure that it happens by tailoring the job advert accordingly. But the majority of immigrants are filling roles where there is a shortage.

The housing crisis is caused by many factors but the main one being for 10+ years very little building has been undertaken. Since 2011 the population has grown by circa 400k (of which the non EU population has only gown by 1.7k*) and we have only built circa 130k of housing during that period.

*Source: https://data.cso.ie/

Advertisement