Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ambulance Waiting Times

Options
  • 29-07-2021 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,838 ✭✭✭✭

Folks,

what would the average waiting time from a 999 call being made, to an ambulance showing up be in Dublin ... ? yesterday early morning we’d an elderly family member collapse at home...and from the call it was about 47 minutes from the 999 call getting made to the arrival of the ambulance, ....there was justifiable panicking at about 25/30 minutes in, our family member was conscious but on the ground, unable to move and having difficulty communicating and considering there are two hospitals and three fire brigade stations within a single digit kilometer radius from the house, from an elderly person collapsing to an almost 50 minute wait just for their arrival seems weird....

the two Ambulance personnel were awesome btw... diligent, efficient, reassuring, thorough and professional...

but from an elderly person collapsing to having to wait the guts of one hour for an ambulance in a city suburb is not desirable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

It depends completely on workload. I was passing by and attended a poor guy in the city centre at 1am who was pretty bad. I offered assistance to the Gardai who were there. They gladly accepted. We waited about 45 minutes for the ambulance to arrive. The DFB engine arrived before it. It was during the crazy scenes during lock down and it was Dublin 2. That was after several calls from the Gardai.

The crews that arrived were brilliant, just overloaded. Of course, it depends on the workload. Another time, I attended a drunk lying on the ground another night. It was an hour and a half on a Saturday night and then we cancelled it. He came around and we were able to call a family member to collect him.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭GoProGaming

Hospital wards busy, which backs up A&E, ambulances can't hand over which backs up emergency calls. This means ambulances are tied up in a queue outside hospitals and not available for the next call.

The problem is nationwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mr cowen

very true, on that day in question there were 10 ambulances parked up outside Vincent's hosp. both NAS and DFB. plus there is the added complication of nearly 3 different hand overs to do, #1 to the lay person receptionist #2 to the covid filter nurse, #3 to the actual nurse you hand over to, who is no doubt doubling up on some other duty to cover a colleague having a flash lunch/toilet break utterly ridiculous, all in an open area, in ear shot of others....public,security, etc.., GDPR and patient confidentiality out the window..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,838 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Luckily the patient is going to be ok, a week to ten days long hospital stay is predicted due to the relapse of an ongoing/treatable condition which is non life threatening anyway...tired, but in good spirits...

tired of collapsing in a heap on the floor at a mad hour in the AM and waiting for help for the guts of an hour. You’d be a bit worried if it was a stroke or heart attack, they also have a heart condition I was hoping wouldnt be triggered by the stress of the fûckin ordeal...

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭easygoing1982

Considering there was 2 hospitals within single digit km from you, providing there was no spinal concerns i would have and have lugged them in to the back of a car and drove up.

My circumstances were the person was semi conscious, in coherent and needed to be lifted in to back of car. Got my neighbours and pulled them in. Not very grateful but job done.

When I got to ED I asked one of the 4 paramedics smoking at the side of 5 ambulances parked up if they could help getting the person out. They actually scolded me and told me I should have called an ambulance. I said I had and it was 47 mins away. It took me 3 minutes to drive up. He laughed and said they were busy.

When I walked outside some 20 mins later the same paramedic was still there talking with now a bigger group of paramedics.

Contrary to the appearance of this post, its not a dig at the paramedics. I understand they have to have a break. But surely if large groups are standing at the back of ambulances smoking/chatting then that's large groups of paramedics unavailable to answer calls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

We have a health service thats barely held together by the underpaid and undervalued front line staff and over paid PR merchants.

you did well getting an ambulance within the hour.

imagine you lived a few hours from a hospital.

ill share your thoughts with my 80 year old mother, that she should be with arthritis of the want to get a man who literally couldn’t move, weights 75 kilograms, up off the floor, down a set of stairs, into a car and to a hospital..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I think this is an overused trope. The hard working 'front line' and everyone else in the organization nothing.

Plenty of people, in all grades, capable of doing SFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

On your next hospital stay you can mention that to the nurse thats not had a break for 6 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'm guessing (and only guessing) that those paramedics weren't actually "on a break", but waiting for their stretchers/trolleys to be returned before they could get back in action again. Ambulances seem to spend a lot of time out of circulation because of backlogs in the admission system in hospitals.

• Advertisement

Fair guess and I obviously can't speak for them all but I can say the paramedic that helped me had their trolley in the back because they were going to take it out, then decided to get a trolley from inside. At least 2 other ambulances also had their trolleys on board.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

I've always wondered, is there a reason there isn't 10 trolleys sitting in a room beside A&E that the paramedics can take so they can get back on the road, and then once the hospital staff are done with the one the patient came in on, they just return to the room?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Paramedics dont generally have breaks at hospitals, normally if they are there, it is because there is an issue handing over a patient or they are waiting for stretcher to be returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Space, not enough personel for handover of patients, A/E overcrowded, loads of reasons

My mother had a stroke a couple of years ago (in her mid 60s) and the ambulance took slightly more than an hour in a city suburb.

We would have taken her ourselves but it was advised not to.

She got prompt care on arrival and access to very high tech intervention but unfortunately died 24 hours later.

While I doubt, given the scale of what happened, it would have made a hell of a lot of difference, I was totally shocked at how long the ambulance took.

I was ringing around frantically looking for a private ambulance to take her after it went about 45 mins and there wasn’t anything possible either and I probably ended up yelling at the 999 operator out of sheer frustration as they asked me all the same details over and over when I rang to query why the ambulance wasn’t appearing.

Honestly still furious about it and I will never vote for FG or FF ever again due to it. The health services are a perpetual shambles here and there is no excuse. There really isn’t.

All I could say is that in the event of an emergency I wouldn’t be confident that the service is adequate.

There simply weren’t enough ambulances on that day and the one coming was being routed all over the place as it was the only one available.

I’ve also had such bad experiences in A&E that you’d wonder if it’s even worth going. I went in to a major Dublin A&E with an older relative of mine (80s+, cancer issues, immune issues) who’d had a fall and needed checking out.

We waited from 4:30pm until almost 4am to be seen by a doctor and we were harassed by junkies, had a guy sitting next to us who kept unhooking his drip line to go for a smoke and leaving it trailing on the floor spilling whatever was in the IV absolutely everywhere.

A woman came in at about 2 am and threw a violent tantrum because she wanted benzos.

There were violent drunk people threatening staff.

There was also a very polite old man who kept keeling over (forwards) and nobody was checking up on him! He was being minded by other patients, not nurses - as they were so over run they weren’t anywhere near waiting patients.

It was hellish and my relative was saying if it happened again she’d prefer to just not go to hospital.

She’s also getting told by her department that in the event of an emergency with her chemo regime, she should go to A&E which is a complete joke of a setup given the situation she is in.

Our systems are woefully under sized and under resourced and they also don’t deal with antisocial behaviour.

Sorry if this is a bit of a rant but my first hand experience of the health systems in recent years has been just …

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭markpb

I'm not sure if it's much consolation but a friend of mine with cancer was told the same thing. The only time she did present at ED, she was brought straight in, no waiting in line for triage or anything else. She was assured this is the way it would always be for her.

Everything else you said is spot on.

its an ‘emergency’ that’s why people are calling for an ambulance... what sort of gobshite thinks it’s ok that in an emergency it’s a thing where people should wait for an ambulance for 45 minutes...? Its to be noted to that between the last two censuses, the population of Fingal rose 8.1%... that isn’t healthy, more pressure on services, and will be influencing why people need to share services and wait long to receive them.

She hasn’t tested it (thankfully) but she’s extremely concerned about going anywhere near A&E because of her probably low immune system - a blood cancer than impacts her white cell production.

She was advised to wear a mask back in 2018, but the systems in reality don’t give a damn. They always just stuffed her into 3+ hour waits at outpatient clinics often in waiting rooms with no windows.

Things actually drastically improved during COVID, using off site clinics and precise appointments, but you’d think that would have always been the case, given she was at high risk of a bad outcome from plenty of transmissible diseases.

It appears to me that there’s been totally inadequate investment in the systems though. If you look at Dublin it’s a mess. Cork and Limerick seem to be in an even worse mess with inadequate beds and endless reports of overcrowded A&Es. Their populations are rising, yet nothing seems to be happening to expand capacity.

Instead we seem to have spent multiple billions on a children’s hospital and years arguing over the site.

There’s something very, very badly wrong and it is not being addressed and it’s been ongoing for as long as I can remember.

There was no golden age when things were better. The system was always barely functional for my entire life.

I distinctly remember a friend of mine from Germany who got pneumonia while here and was left on a chair in a corridor with an oxygen mask for 48h and that was back in about 2002.

What’s changed ?! Other than a few governments?

We don’t have a healthcare crisis. We’ve a chronic problem that’s been an issue for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ylwambulnce

I'm going to be blunt. There is an ambulance crisis in this country at the moment. We're hemorrhaging staff. Sick leave is through the roof. We can barely keep vehicles on the road. Every day the amount of OT shifts that go out around the country is shocking. They send texts to staff in different provinces looking for cover in the likes of Dublin and other regions.

40-90 minutes is the norm these days for a response to life threatening emergencies, sometimes longer. When we receive a call on the MDT it tells us what time it was received in the call centre at, and often there is a 30-40minute holding time before a vehicle is even allocated. It's not unusual to respond to life threatening calls 2 or more counties away. Sometimes counties go without any ambulance on the roster for several hours, especially at night. Not all shifts are covered.

Morale is low. We're not entitled to lunch breaks. Every day we're made work 1-3 hours overtime. We work 12 hours straight driving hundreds of kilometers. I've worked night shifts where I was supposed to finish at 8am and am still on the road at midday.

If we voice concerns, or protest to the control centre we are threatened with disciplinary action. When the control centre rides us or **** up and makes a mistake they are answerable to nobody. The controllers and call takers cannot deviate from the set script, EVER. They have supervisors breathing down their necks.

The general consensus on the ground is the biggest mistake the ambulance service has made was closing regional control centres, and centralising everything. Now ambulances have no borders. All the county ambulances get sucked into larger population centres. The AMPS software is not fit for purpose. People are dying because they classify nonsense calls as more important than serious ones, again because the script is gospel and they are not allowed use common sense. Its a computer says no scenario. It's a system designed so nobody takes accountability for it's failings.

The response times and statistics are fluffed and skewed. It's a game of stopping the clock. Yes, an ambulance was dispatched to your granny having a stroke in Galway within 90 seconds, but nobody tells you it's coming from Athlone.

At the hospital it's the norm to be waiting 2 hours or more with your patient, often in pain and discomfort. The ED's are overcrowded, and back to pre-covid levels. And yes, lets not tip toe around the subject, of course we will take this opportunity to talk and de-stress with each other. It's not a break standing at the back of your vehicle shoving a cheap A&E sandwich down your gob, knowing full well if we clear with 30 minutes left to go on my shift I'll be forced into mandatory OT.

Burnout is real. PTSD is real. Bullying is happening. Corruption is rife. Upper management treat the boots on the ground with utter contempt.

It's prime time worthy stuff comparable to the scandals the Gardai have been going through in recent decades.

• Advertisement

thats well said, I,ve spoken to NAS crews at hospitals around dublin and they are all singing the same song, no breaks, travelling miles and not getting a to a call, if they are dragged into the midlands they will be forgotten by their control and kept there...and the NAS are trying to take over dfb.s workload too, shambles.

@ylwambulnce

You call an ambulance when a person is seriously ill, injured or at risk of dying...

in an ‘emergency’ in other words. In that situation a reasonable percentage of calls will or could be life or death..life threatening as you put it... if your life is under threat... we need enough ambulances, enough staff, to respond to help in a reasonable and efficient timeframe.

interesting to hear that often staff need to forego breaks... that is not surprising! It’s Ireland 2021 but it’s neither safe non healthy for those staff. Staff who are being asked to look after the health and wellbeing of others are being shafted in their own quest for wellbeing in their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭pms7

Yes, saw this happening. Shocking waste of resources to see 4 ambulance crews waiting in the hospital for a few hours.

If time is critical and you can get the person into a car, do not call an ambulance

seems the norm in most countries

We need to start prioritizing the health and wellbeing of Irish taxpayers.... and health professionals...

if we have xx millions a year to be facilitating non contributors just arriving... for a dig out / hand out?.we need to knock some of that on the head and focusing on OUR health...

if my dad was having a hemorrhage, stroke or heart attack he probably wouldn’t be alive now... thankfully he’s as of yesterday, home after another spell in getting finally fixed...

Yes, let's treat people differently. Let's suggest that every single Irish person gets health care before anyone who arrived here from somewhere else. Let's create a two tier society, where people can die because they are not Irish.

Now, how will we define Irish? Maybe if they can trace their family tree back to Brian boru? Also, should we exclude all new arrivals? Arrivals in the last five years? Maybe 25 years, just to be sure.......

It's only right, I mean Irish people deserve health care, why should anyone else think they have the right to be treated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

If I the caller in the emergency asked where the ambulance is been dispatched from, would the control room tell me or fob me off?

i.e I could make the decision to drive the patient to the hospital myself if I knew its an hour away.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Tripp

Yes if you asked we would tell you where it was coming from and an eta if we had that info at the time of you calling us

• Advertisement

I’m not suggesting treating people who ARE here any differently whatsoever.....or advocating a two year society, that’s a fairly randomly inaccurate interpretation. :)

I’m saying IF it gets to the stage where the country cannot provide safe, efficient and appropriate care to those who are here, such as extraordinarily long waits for ambulances and waits for care when you eventually get to hospital... then the door needs to be temporarily closed so that we can control our population and be able to provide efficient medical care, ambulances etc... to those of us here and paying for it. prioritizing our health and wellbeing.

Advertisement