Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So ABBA are back!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

Saw agnetha with Gary Barlow a few years ago, her voice was similar but older. Still well able to sing. I hope this is good, it would ruin the legacy they have left currently if it was not up to standard.

looking forward to hearing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

They had some cracking songs the first time, anything similar would be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Interesting idea with avatars, and building a new arena to go with it. New songs are very ABBA, full album Nov 5th.

All you need to know.

https://abbavoyage.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Why?

Money, money, money?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,039 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Oh mamma mia here we go again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Voulez-vous?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The first single release from the new album. 😊👍👍 Song is entitled “I Still Have Faith In You.”

The world has been waiting for nearly four decades. I was practically brought up on the music of ABBA as a toddler and small child.

So pleased they finally decided to give it another go after all this time. 💕

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭pat k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭buried

If they go on tour you are probably going to have to re-mortgage the gaff to get tickets

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭AllForIt

This comes as a very big surprise to me. Last I heard there wasn't a hope in hell of a reunion according to themselves and that was 10 years ago.

Anyway first report on their new songs, one of them anyway, is not very positive. I won't expect too much to avoid disappointment.

I prefer ABBA's early stuff which was all about hard-nosed, street-fighting, urban grifter, voodoo heroin chic. This fluffy reassembled nonsense doesn't have the gravitas I would expect of what were once Sweden's greatest purveyors of 'Pay No More Than 1 Krona' protopunk. Sell outs. 1/10

Signed, A Real Fan

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Their singing accents on that new track sound a bit more Swedish in pronunciation than their early, more neutral sounding recordings did back in the day . . . Suppose they're a little out of practice after a 40 years hiatus , but I enjoy hearing that Swedish accent slipping through.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Their cover of Ghost's "I'm a marionette" is truly awful but nowhere near as bad as their cover of Therapy?'s "Gimme gimme gimme (a man after midnight)". Hope the new album reflects the sound of their roots in Gothenburg, melodic death metal and ebm!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Reminds me of the time I went shopping for a new bathroom. I was shown an amazing toilet which plays ABBA when you flush it.

What a loo!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Meh. Not for me, was never a fan at all.

But they'll be huge again I'm sure. More power to them. Hope they make bank, again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Whether you like their new stuff or not, it's still way more sophisticated and better put together than most of the utter rubbish around these days.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

How can anyone begrudge the reforming of an iconic pop group who made incredible, timeless music? 👍👍🌈🎉🕺🕺

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

My My...

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

I had to take the band ABBA out to lunch

If I had to do the same again, I would, my friend. For Nando's.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Love the Band, the music the legacy but a little torn as to whether they are actually back in the true sense of a reunion.

I watched the early part of the you tube broadcast and was struck at the absence of the ladies. It's long been the case they both hated the PR aspect of the music business but I was quite surprised they all didn't appear together, even for a few minutes for this event.

The show too ,whilst seemingly going to be technologically spectacular, can't it be described as a reunion, it seems to me that it will an Avatar performance. I get all the members in their 70's but I'm sensing a little vanity at the heart of this production. The video for the new song (excellent by the way) just appeared a little creepy, false ,odd.

Perhaps I'm being unfair but I sense ABBA fans care less about imagery and regardless of the passage of time, want to see the actual band. ABBA have an astonishingly loyal fan base, even after all these years, I just feel those fans been cheated a little by what is essentially going to be an animated performance and indeed presence.

I loved the Gary Barlow & agnetha collaboration a few years back , seemed very sincere and honest, actually brilliant and agnetha still has it, not at all sure hiding behind technology a wise move.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

They for me a version of westlife but they happen to have to boys with guitars... they were really popular...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6LckvAdEig

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Great band but after 30 years that’s the best they could have come up with?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I have a dream , a song to sing

“ I say thank you for the music for giving it to me “

• Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I'm a bit of a Celine Dion fan, which doesn't get me much street cred, but in recent years she sings her English songs with a French twang. Her earlier English works you would think he was a natural English speaker, which she isn't. I don['t know if this is deliberate or not, but I don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I don't think they will go on tour, I think they will have some type of 3d hologram show in a venue it will be like a virtual concert . They are all rich, they get massive royaltys. They are like the beatles, people still continue to buy their music. A few years ago there' was a TV documentary about the mama Mia theatre musical they have no need to work at all . ABBA gold sold millions of cds. Its nice that they can still sing . I'm surprised there's not full concerts being released in 3d Vr as the technology is there to make them available

Videogames now film actors in 3d with video capture cameras

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I don't think they spent 30 years writing the song.

• Advertisement
Advertisement