Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lawyer wants money for property papers

Options
  • 04-09-2021 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

Last year I bought a property the conveyancing lawyer made an incredible amount of mistakes...sent me wrong papers..forgot the address of house being purchased...sent me the folio belonging to another one of his clients...forgot my e mail address

When I went to collect the papers for the property it was a covid lock down. The Lawyer secretary wanted me to sign for the papers as being complete and in order...I refused without inspection but was refused permission to inspect.

I Looked up irish law soceity rules and they stated that during the lock down if a client wants to check legal papers then a room should be cleaned and the member of staff and client should wear gloves and face masks whilst the client checks the papers

I wrote to LSRA which in effect is the Irish Law soceity but use another name because the Irish Law Society has a bad reputation. I explained the lawyer refused to follow law society rules...but it would seem that the law societyu believe their rules are there to be broken and did nothing

I gave up and said I would sign for the papers without inspection and the lawyer has asked for a storage fee of 125euro. Do you agree that the lawyer should be rewarded for not following Irish government covid restrictions, and not following irish law society rules

Comments

Giving you someone else’s paperwork is a breech of data protection and should probably be notified to the DPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭beaufoy

I still have the evidence that another person's folio was sent to me

He/the office were just stupid/ incompetent sending the wrong folio....other things he did are far more serious

I'd similar - just things like where there were two parties mentioned in the legal paperwork, whoever drafted them had become confused, so when you read it the 1st party was initiating a process against themselves lol Luckily it only got to draft stage, but even so I was rather annoyed to be paying for this by the hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Sounds like shocking service. I'd refuse to pay and make a formal complaint to the Law Society.

Separately, are the above cautionary tales about going with the cheapest quote for professional fees? I did a short stint in conveyancing once upon a time and it never ceased to amaze me how many people's only interest was in cheapest rate... "but ABC in Tallaght quoted me €900 for the sale". Well good luck to you with that one so.

Advertisement