Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Groom Speech - Paying for a Rhyme / Poem

Options
  • 11-08-2021 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

Hi All,

Has anyone ever come across a company that offers to write Wedding day poems / rhymes?

I love the idea of being able to rattle off a few witty rhyming lines about myself and the Brides relationship as part of my speech. Unfortunately I am in no way creative so would need a ghostwriter!

Comments

It'll mean much more if it comes from yourself, to be honest. I did something similar for a wedding where I was best man and, while not perfect, it went down well. I'd gamble that a crappy poem that comes from the soul will be received better than an excellent poem that obviously isn't yours.

"Today, it is your wedding day...

we cried and cheered you both....

we watched in awe, as the two of you.....

swore a solemn oath!

In times to come, when things get rough....

and you have your little rows.......

just think back, upon today.....

when you exchanged your vows!

And the best advice, I can give you [Groom]....

on this, or any, night.....

is to bite your tongue, and remember.......

[Bride] is always right!"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I saw this being posted about recently, might be the type of thing you're looking for:

I can't vouch for them though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

Consider that it might not be for your bride at all. An hilarious written by someone else wouldn’t be for me, I’d find it cringe. For me, heartfelt words would mean so much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

100% agree with this. I'd just find it cringe. Nobody is expecting the world's greatest orator or wit when they listen to a wedding speech. Better to have something short that you wrote yourself that's honest and true, rather than something obviously lifted from elsewhere or the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

And on the wedding night,

If she urges you to be quicker,

Always bear in mind,

You can do her up the gicker

You can paypal me a score

• Advertisement
Advertisement