Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Selling, Swapping or Wanted Watches & Timepieces *Please read rules in 1st post**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That's an excellent offer fair play!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I agree @micks_address that is a great offer. Is it from Chrono24 direct or via the platform?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭micks_address

Private buyer banie. They don’t seem to offer the buy service in Ireland from chrono24 themselves

It’s a good offer but when you consider I was about 3k into the watch and another 600 for service it’s only breaking even.

The service on any watch is a cost of ownership Mick. It adds zero actual value other than reassuring the next buyer the watch was appropriately cared for IMHO.

I can buy a pagani for 150, pay 200 to have it serviced. Am I then the owner of a 350 watch? Is there any actual value added? I'd say no.

Similar with a car, is a recently serviced car worth more? Or is it an example of cost of ownership?

I totally agree that you should maximise your price but including servicing in your final price calculation is a little flawed I think.

• Advertisement

Service adds (near) zero value. At best it makes it easier to sell. If there is any chance you are not keeping a watch long and that you might soon sell it, do NOT spend big money on servicing.

The intention was to keep :) anyone buying a speedmaster or chrono should value a service. They are not cheap to service

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

It's the word 'only' that I question. You're doing well to not loose money, having an expectation to make some is the unrealistic bit IMO. I'm not in the market as you know so this isn't me just trying to talk you down. Hope you get a decent price, all the best.

No mechanical is really. It's a part of the hobby that comes with sticker shock. Especially on some of the higher end bits. A 3hander VC service is over 1k if you go with sending it in 😮 but it adds no value, and in some cases such as Rolex and VC where parts such as dial/hands/bezel can be replaced at the service centre, can devalue a watch.

Servicing a mechanical watch is a sunk cost of ownership that adds no value at all IMO. Yes it's great to know an owner looked after their watch but, it is part an parcel of owning one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭893bet

An omega service would have added value as the watch has no original paperwork.

But if they replaced the bezel and Crystal it would have been 1k service.

• Advertisement

If the service reconstitutes paperwork and gives a "confirmed" original watch I'd agree that it would make the watch as valuable as an Omega with original papers.

Surely no more valuable tho? And a service by a 3rd party or non Authorised service centre, whilst great and a sign of responsible ownership. Doesn't add to the sticker price of a 2nd hand sale, does it?

Serious question BTW, not meant to be rhetorical, rather that's my view and happy to learn why I'm wrong 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭893bet

I think a 3rd party service adds a little value. But not the full cost of the service.

You are paying a little extra to get the warranty that the service provides to the new owner.

ok so i didnt get the service to increase sales potential. when i serviced i supplied an oem crystal and bezel which was fitted. 1k sounds about right if omega were to do it. Intention was and might still end up being was to have a mint serviced speedmaster in as new condition. Its easy saying its only worth 3k but go try and find one for less than 3500 with a service and box and its not that easy either. One did sell on adverts a while back for 3k but the buyer basically said it needed a service.. i believe a local bought it :)

reality is id be better off keeping the speedmaster rather than selling and loosing money so that might be the best plan. if i can sell for close to what i have in it then it makes it a little easier. I know if i want an example as good as it again id have to pay north of 4k

Extended warranty via a service centre service is of course appreciated, but it wouldn't justify a higher price for me

But, if one feels it offers scope for a higher price on a private sale? Surely then it's as easy for the buyer to use a pro-dealer and have the additional security that comes with that?

I'd like it 2nd hand cars, if the manufacturer's warranty is out and it matters to you? You buy from a dealer.

In Mick's case, pricey service and bezel and crystal replacement with original parts but by a 3rd party (it was via watchfix wasn't it Mick?). No reconstituted paperwork/history and no added value versus similar watches with a "fullest" IMHO.

Now I feel like I'm trying to **** on a sale, or argue with a value. I'm not and Mick I am sorry if it comes across that way. The market will of course set the price,and I'm sure with whatever offers you've received via adverts and Chrono24 have given you a ballpark?

The chrono fee is @ 6%, you've listed on adverts for 3600. The difference comes out to 28 on the bottom line. The chrono24 offer of 3800 v boards asking of 3600, would give a commission of 228. Leaving 28 in the difference plus the work of shipping.

Is there a few quid more to be squeezed out of the chrono24 offer to meet that gap?

Im in no rush to sell. It’s only on chrono24 few hours so I’ll sit tight a while. I’d be happier selling locally as there’s no international shipping to worry about and time delay on payment etc

In fairness, if someone local buys it? They are getting a thoroughly rejuvenated watch at a fair price 😉

And if it's only up a few hours you may as well leave it a while and see if you get closer to your asking there. That would/should cover the costs of the deal there.

GLWS wherever you sell it 👍

Yeah that's it - ideal situation is i can convince myself i don't need to sell to fund the next purchase.. im not looking to make money but doesnt make sense to loose either if you don't need to

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Mick I bought the same generation perfect condition Speedmaster box and papers for under 3k on adverts a month ago and sold it as part of a trade for about 100 euro profit (was a deal sweetener). 3800 is a legendary offer on a naked watch. Have to agree with comments a 3rd party service adds basically nothing. Sure if you are keeping the watch its good to know its serviced, but a Watchfix.ie receipt is no reassurance really (I am sure Chris does a very fine job) but having Omega papers and service would have actually added the value. Service papers are often better than original as they add warranty and they give a more recent indication of authenticity. But again a receipt from watchfix doesn't do this in the eyes of a buyer.

Take the 3800 and run :)

Watch winder sold, still have the free Seiko box / bracelet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭scwazrh

€3800 seems very good . If I was selling my big box version which is 2016 and very near mint , I would list at €4200 and take anything over €3800

• Advertisement

hi folks

looks like the speedmaster is heading to Italy. Any suggestions for shipping with insurance?

anyone use securus insurance?

thanks

mick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Never used securus but good reviews on other forums. DHL will insure also but expect 2-300 euro.

Looks like I can courier for about 30 to 50 euro and 25 euro for insurance with securus

That's a bargain. An Post take €47 for just regular registered shipping but uninsured, within the EU (for a big enough heavy enough box like your speedy)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I used Secursus & DHL to send my sub to Italy - it was 65 for the insurance and 85 for DHL. Can't remember what the fully insured DHL quote was, but I think it was under 200 quid. It was an easy process with Secursus, but I suppose you don't know how good they are until something bad happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Having a bit of a clear out.

First up is my Ocean 39 GMT Premium 500 Ceramic

These are €705 on the Steinhart website (watch +shipping)

Was hoping to get €500 for it.

Also up is my Ocean One Titanium 500 premium Ceramic. These are €635 (watch + shipping).

Was hoping for €450.

If you are interested in either drop me a message and we can talk!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Johnny1980

I always use DHL express . To ship it it would be roughly 100 euro with insurance . It’s 10 euro per 1k . most times it is delivered next day too .

PS don’t mention it’s a watch as they won’t take it . I always ship stating Horology goods .

In the end my speedmaster stayed in Dublin. The buyer of my aqua Terra organised postage himself. Fedex collected yesterday and he arranged insurance with securus

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Ocean One Titanium has been sold.

The Ocean 39 GMT Premium 500 Ceramic is still available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Advertisement