Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Peugeot 208 allure Auto - awful or just a fault?

Options
  • 03-09-2021 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

A family member recent bought a Peugeot Auto 1.4 Diesel 2014 year, She basically is the type of person who don't need a car and is such a bad driver that should not be on the road to begin with, knows zero about cars. What the car cost would keep her in taxis for at least 5 years.

Anyway I drove it myself yesterday and can only just describe it as a pig of a car, I have driven many different cars and it had to be the worst autobox ever, slow, slow to respond, almost labouring, but most critically and dangerously for this woman is it was not behaving like an auto. I parked it on what was quiet a steep hill and the car ran forward when I had it in reverse and similarly again it ran back when it should have held facing uphill on the hill, I had to use my left leg on the footbrake, seriously rev it up and release simultaneously to get the car to take off, not standard automatic procedures. The handbrake was ineffective. It does not have have a standard P-N-D type gearbox and it seems the advice is to park it in Neutral with the handbrake on, great for it to roll away. I have advised the lady to sell it and buy something proper. She paid nearly €9k for this thing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,404 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Could it be bad tyres on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Just rubbish is my guess. It's probably an automated clutchless manual gearbox and it's more or less impossible to drive those properly, and that's why that type of gearbox didn't hang around long. I've driven a few and they've all been terrible.

It has a normal, single clutch, just no clutch pedal. The electronics in the car decide when to engage the clutch and change the gear - supposed to be more fuel efficient than a manual or standard auto. I tried lifting off the accelerator when the car should change gear, still terrible. I tried just keeping the accelerator pushed all the way down when the car should change gear, just as terrible.

The only half acceptable performance came when manually changing gear using the + / - function on either the gearstick or the paddles, but that somewhat negates the purpose of having an auto.

Get rid if possible, it's doing what it does and there's nothing that can be changed to stop that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Hope that's not the story across the Peugeot range. I'm about to pull the trigger on a 3008 auto.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

You are spot on, I watched a few videos since and read other stories online and basically it is a badly designed piece of junk, I was literally driving it up the steep hill and the car actually started labouring and gave the exact impression of where you'd have a clutch pressed in (if it was Manual) and it was like the car didn't know what to do until I revved it up hard. I am now satisfied that there is no fault rather than just terrible design and bad implementation. Absolutely appalling. To the other guy don't even dream of buying one of these until you have driven it a good bit in a test drive and find the steepest hill you can find on that test drive. I'm still clueless in how you actually park it since it has no "Park".

Rest easy there......mrs Mc Carthy got one in Feb., that is a class car, easy on the eye, a beautiful drive, super practicable ( it's got ALL the toys), very economical, as smooth as a cushion on road, plenty of pep. All in all that car is perfect......theyre a bit pricey but def worth it/ an absolute 10/10 motor. The only ( tiny nitpicking) minor fault I notice is there's no gauge for the adblue( assume you're getting diesel??)....just a light comes on when you need some....find that a bit weird.

The 2012-2016 autos were a totally different animal.....a bit like russian roulette, some were good/ some woeful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Advertisement