Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike trailers (for luggage, not kids)

Options
  • 02-09-2021 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever used one of these for a road bike? I'm seeing these one wheeled tag-along style ones on the web and wondering if they're the right job for fast bike touring, as an alternative to the baggage-mule option of tailpack, top tube back, handlebar roll etc.

Edit - like particularly if you were planning a slightly longer trip, or if you were going to bring bulkier items like tent and sleeping bags.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I use a bike-hod trailer on a touring bike. I don't use it for touring though; I just use it for transporting large loads.

It's a good trailer, but I think it's out of production now. It's a seat post-mounted trailer, rather than being mounted at hub level. It's good for shopping, and it would be ok for long trips on roads that weren't very rough, I think. The wheels are smallish, size of wheels on a small kid's bike. They work fine, and have required no maintenance in years, but I imagine proper serviceable wheels like standard bike wheels would be better.

I think the Burley Travoy is very similar, and that's still in production. I suspect the launch of the Burley Travoy might have led to the bike-hod's demise, in fact.

I imagine that a hub-mounted trailer with a single bicycle-style wheel might be best for touring, but I assume people with actual experience of touring with a trailer would be able to give you better-quality information.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

That's the bike-hod in action on the way to the recycling centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭saccades

I cannot find the photo now but I've used the cheap passenger trailer (mainly made of cloth with a folding frame) for lugging gear and camping trips (used to sell in Halfords)

Excellent bit of kit, well able for load lugging and really adaptable fir load size and types.

Advertisement