Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Joe Rogan Experience Podcasts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭vafankillar

the abby martin podcast was briliant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

If you havnt seen the Yeonmi Parks episode yet - Do it now.

It fúcking horrific. My head cannot comprehend what this young lady has been through!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Yeah fascinating.

A show of 2 halves. The story of NK and the process of her escape entwined with her experiences in Columbia Uni and the US in general was very well told.

Very impressive person with an important story to tell from a unique viewpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Yes very interesting, really shows how little China cares about the NK people. I prefer the serious Joe Rogan podcasts rather than the ones he tries to be funny. It baffles me that Joe is a stand-up comedian because his joking always seems so flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,151 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I went to see him in The Sugar Club the night before UFC 93 in 2009.

He was good, but the best part was that only about half of his set was jokes. Half way through he just asked for subjects form the crowd and spoke about them. He was much funnier just shooting the sh*t than when telling jokes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I'd be very cautious about her. She's carved out a living telling what appear to be tall tales about both her family's life in North Korea and the process of her defection.

Good to see Spotify have finally figured out how to get the video podcasts to play in the TV app. How this wasn't sorted before the launched with Joe Rogan I have no idea.

I see Joe is back talking about vaccine passports. Makes some interesting points but then goes on a tangent about how America is the greatest country in the world due to be founded on freedom! (for a limited few).

Very typical Sorkin speech. Claims they are not the greatest now but used to be (when exactly?).

Joe Rogan was describing his politics as middle of the road and not a supporter of either party (liberal on welfare, gay rights, conservative on gun rights and supporting police) perhaps that is why his interviews are so popular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

• Registered Users Posts: 12,549 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The 50s were fairly "great". Still segregated thogh!

Gave this a go yesterday. Haven't finished it yet but......... wow!

Always someone along to defend the totalitarian regimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

Still not working on the Sky platform, that i can figure out anyway.

The paper that the article originates from seems to be pretty critical of totalitarian regimes as is based in the USA and Japan so I think its just good journalism to point out if someone's story is inconsistent, especially if they make a living by selling their story. Yeonmi Parks has admitted she has got some facts wrong so its not like they are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Alot of the imperfections in her stories she explains, When the media pick her up on her age and why there was a 2 year gap in some stories she explains the day your born in Nk you are 1 - and on the 1st jan next, you are 2.

She explains if your born on 31st dec 1999 - you are regarded as 2 years old the next day. Which is why in her earlier statements she claimed she was 15, but when they aged her she was really only 13, she hadnt a clue about this, and the media clung on to these errors to make her seem less genuine.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Andrew Shulz brought up an article he read that shined some doubt on her story, or at least some of it. It sounded like the same article quoted above.

It was pretty funny as Shulz couldn't remember any of it but still threw it out at Joe.

It was a funny episode.

I think some of her memories appear to be muddled as in saying in some interviews her father was buried and in others he was cremated.

She appears now to be moving to a fox news contributor saying wokeness is worse than living in north Korea so I would think that would also be a motivation for some to attack her.

I think it's par of the course for Joe to not bring up these accusations he never likes his guests to feel uncomfortable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

The woke culture is a step forwards to North Korea, that's why she's trying to raise awareness

I see since that podcast Joe is asking random guests why doesn't the US do anything about North Korea and they look back at him like he's an idiot, the answer obviously being nukes and China.

There are many steps between woke culture and North Korea. One of the issues that critics of woke culture have is the absolute hyperbole of comparisons to North Korea or communist regimes. It's all a bit extreme and makes them look silly.

Having said that, she's 100% right to be calling out these idiots. The stuff she was saying about her "humanities" class and the lecturer telling her she was brainwashed because she didn't believe that holding the door open for someone was a male dominance thig 100% of the time (even though she said she opens doors for people). Anyone with a bit of sense knows this is bullshit. I hold the door for everyone. It's just manners.

Also, she broaches this on the podcast. To say she's a "Fox News Contributor" is to unfairly put her in a box with other right wing crackpots.

She says on the show that she went onto left-leaning news outlets also, but they never asked her about North Korea or China, never mind woke culture. They were only interested in her criticism of Trump.

Having listened to her, she has a fairly balanced and nuanced viewpoint on the whole thing and hasn't picked a side for political reasons.

News outlets, as well as people in general, who pick a side for political reasons will try to put her in a box to dismiss the opinions that they disagree with but it's lazy and disingenuous.

To be honest I was only trying to identify why she was criticised on the web after the Joe Rogan podcast and the criticism generally seem to point to two separate Fox news programmes, one in which she criticizes columbia university for wokeness and the other criticizing a black athlete for protesting on the medal podium in Tokyo and also describing how she was attacked during a BLM protest. Seems a lot like tackling the player rather than the ball.

I would think that north Korean activists would prefer activists situated in America not to comment on American domestic affairs in order to get bi-partisan support for putting pressure on the NK leadership.

It was you who described her as "moving to Fox News contributor" so that's why I was challenging that. I didn't see quotes so assumed they were your words. That is a label that attributes certain ideas, traits or even behaviours to the subject.

As she describes on the podcast, she went on Fox and was only asked about wokeness. She went on CNN and was only asked about her anti-Trump stance. Both news outlets wanted to use her to further her own agenda.

She's anti-woke culture (as every reasonable person should be) and that fits in with what Fox is reporting, but not CNN.

She eluded to the fact that woke-culture had started to creep into CNN too, as she mentioned that when she went on CNN she was questioned as to why she would appear on Fox. CNN didn't like that she played doe the "other team". Fox didn't ask her about CNN however.

The fact that the label "Fox News contributor" would be stuck to her and not "CNN News contributor" kind of proves her point.

I see Texas has now copper-fastened the most restrictive abortion laws in the country. Has Joe ever brought this up in his podcast? Obviously abortion is a very controversial topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

He has covid and seems to have killed it with Ivermectin and other drugs, the MSM are losing their **** that he beat it without the vaccine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Seen it reported that his taking horse de-wormig medicine to treat his CoVid19...

Ivermectin has versions for Human's and Animals(As with many pharmacuticals)...

Talk about disingenuous reporting

Advertisement