Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bob Dylan Sex Abuse Allegation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,964 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Is this named woman definitely the accuser and not some randomer claiming to be her? If it is her then it certainly confirms my suspicion that the whole thing is bullshit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

In one of his standup shows Dara O'Briain has a bit about an item on psychics on BBC's Watchdog:

• My favourite thing about it was the item had a headline, The item was titled "Bogus psychic scam", As if there's any other kind of psychic, As if you could have finished it with a real psychic going, "Well on behalf of genuine psychics I'd just like to say we're very angry about this. *mimes someone listening for the voices in their head* And so are the dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Well for one thing biographer Clinton Heylin says Bob Dylan simply was not in New York at the time, going between England, LA and Woodstock, in fact England for most of that time. He was filmed continually for the 'don't look back' documentary. Unless Dylan had a teleportation machine and a cloaking device, the claims seem impossible. The complaint seems to be vague. Anyhow a paedo groomer won't gain his foul goal on day one and carry on every day after.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah I've heard the biographer claims he wasn't in New York City during that time. He claims he spent a day or 2 in New york state, for example, so we're not pretending this guy has a documented detailed schedule or that he's sure on BD's whereabouts. And the biographer making a claim is interesting, but we hardly believe claims just because someone makes it. Otherwise we'd have to believe the accuser's claims because they made them and we'd have to believe contradictory claims. So I'll just acknowledge the claim and wait for evidence to substantiate the claim before I'd believe it.

Likewise, the claim has been made that the documentary crew followed him all the time during the period, but I don't think that's necessarily how tv works. They might or might not have been filming every day. That's something which could probably be cleared up pretty quickly so I'll wait for the evidence on that claim too.

How do you handle the claims? How do you figure out which things to believe or not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

How do you handle the claims? How do you figure out which things to believe or not?

Easy, you look at the claim being made - Dylan groomed a child of 12 in 1965 over a six week period and abuse her several times in the Chelsea Hotel - and you look what was going on in Dylan's life at the time in terms of touring, promotional duties and documentary filming and then you have to figure out if he was a magician who could bend time and space to his will to be able to invest enough time grooming a girl in one of the busiest periods of his life without anyone noticing and if he had the ability to move between Europe and New York in the blink of an eye to accomplish it.

So you're accepting the claims that the documentary crew followed him all the time or that he couldn't possibly have been in the US during the period? How did you determine that those claims are true? I suppose that's the question I'm asking? I know what I'll do which is wait and see if evidence emerges to substantiate those claims.

It's also interesting that you have accepted the claim that he wasn't in the USA while dismissing the biographers claim that he was in the use and was only a few hours away from NY City in NY state for a day or 2 (he's not sure). How did you determine that he was in Europe and the Biographer is wrong that he was in the USA?

Some would, some wouldn't. R Kelly isn't played on the radio much (at all?) anymore, but people still listen to his music. The art and the artist are not the same thing. Pablo Picasso wasn't a nice person, but people still enjoy his art. If he was found guilty then it would be up to everyone individually to decide how to treat his art.

I'm not dismissing any claims made by the biographers. The lawsuit claims he groomed the 12 year old over six weeks in April and May 1965 - If you can find a six week period in those two months that makes sense based on his touring schedule, let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Does anyone know if he had sex with the 12 year old. If he did he is in trouble. At the time this took place it was ok to be nice children without being accused. For me if there was no sex its nothing in it...

• Advertisement

Ah, so are you interpreting "over six weeks in April and May" to mean a continuous period of 6 weeks over those 2 months?

I think the term "over six weeks in April and May" could mean as few as 2 times 6 weeks apart, or 3 times spanning 6 weeks. But we don't have any more information so it's hard to know what they mean. How did you determine what they mean by "over six weeks in April and May"

At this stage we just have the allegation form the accuser. We don't know if it happened or not, if any abuse took place or not and the extent of any abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,421 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

That's a terrible thing to say, i would suggest any who can make a sweeping statement like that might be a little "dodgy"

Sad to see someone who would take that approach. But you see the same approach being taken by loads of people in this thread who have decided he didn't do it because they like his music and don't want it to be true. It's the same impulse just working in the other direction.

I think the best approach is to just treat it as a claim and wait for evidence before deciding it it's likely true or likely not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Its like Chris Rock said about Michael Jackson: "Thats how much we love Michael, we love Michael so much we let the first kid slide".

I'm saying any six weeks. If you can find any six weeks in those two months where he was definitely in New York, let me know.

I dont think anyone can do that. And I don't think anyone claims it needs a continuous period of 6 weeks. The allegation said "over a period of 6 weeks" so it's not clear what they mean and that means it doesn't have to be a continuous 6weeks.

Do you think the allegation requires a continuous period of 6weeks where BD was with the child or what's your take on it?

Read what I said. I said any six weeks in that two month period. With six weeks out of nine, some of it's bound to be continuous.

So do you accept that with the information we have at the moment, the allegation could mean anything from 6 continuous weeks to as little as twice over a 6 week period?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I don't think anyone thinks it occurred for 6 continuous weeks. You keep bringing that up but no-one has claimed it. Considering what is proven about his timeline its impossible he was in New York for 6 continuous weeks.

There's definite issues that raise doubts in the claim. I know you're just going to state we don't know for definite yet but the fact is that Bob Dylan was heavily followed during this time. If he had made a trip back to New York it most likely would have come out. Especially now with this case in the public if he was seen in New York or the US in that time someone would be talking about it.

The Claim was that he groomed and abused her over a 6 week period. When the issues with the timeline came out this was the statement from the lawyer. "There are dates that he wasn’t touring for several weeks in April and this will all come out at that appropriate time,” Isaacs told Page Six. “The claims were vetted before the case was filed and we did our research."

To me this looks like they mentioned six weeks over April and May and when the timeline came out they start focusing on April only. If this occurred in the first 3 weeks of April when he was in the US then why ever mention 6 week or May?

Why say she was groomed over six weeks if it was just two occasions? He arrived in London in April 26 after playing gigs in Portland and Seattle on 23rd and 24th and arrived back in New York in June. Why mention May as being part of the time period when he groomed her when he wasn't even in the country? The beginning of April as well saw him playing gigs along the west coast that ended on the 9th.

If strong evidence comes out to support her claims, I'll raise my hand and admit I was wrong but there's way too much doubt for me in relation to this case based on what's come out in relation to Dylan's movements at the time, the lawyer representing the plaintiff and the timing of the case being filed.

The poster I was responding to specifically asked if there is a 6week period in the 9 weeks of April and May. So I've asked them what their understanding is but I've had no luck getting them to explain their understanding. I think they think it requires 6 straight weeks or chunks of time that add up to 6 weeks. Otherwise, why are they asking?

There is a claim that BD was followed and filmed all the time during April and May, and if that's true then it should be straightforward to exhonerate him. But the time to believe that is after the evidence has been produced, not now when all we have is the claim.

In the meantime, it's not BD's job to prove his whereabouts all the time during April and May (and he hasn't done so). It's the prosecution's job to substantiate their claims that they've made. In their haste to prove their biased conclusions, some people have adopted a burden of proof that they can account for all his movements because of the documentary and the gigs and whatever else and they are acting in faith that the evidence will come later. But that's all beside the point because it's the prosecution's job to substantiate their claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

I remember reading in a book of Rock quotes many years ago, the retort of Bianca Jagger (I think) to a man who claimed they'd "had an affair".

"Maybe we did. But you can't have been much good because I don't remember you at all!"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Women sure did have to put up with some crap back in the day. I am far from being a wokey feminist but does anyone remember a very drunk (despite his denials) 58 year old Serge Gainsbourg pawing and slobbering over a 22-23 year old Whitney Houston on French TV back in 1986?

He even insisted (in French) that he had said "I want to **** her" when the mortified interviewer tried to tell Whitney he had said something else.

Could you imagine anyone attempting to get away with this today?

i just seen this thread recently and i am a big Dylan fan.

The first think i am curious of is... what actually is grooming? For me its a very vague term unless there is a word after i stating intent. There may be more happening than i am aware of but to say "grooming" without some more info nearly 60 years later is suspicious for me....

That's true that the grooming isn't specified at this point. But I think the main issue is the accusation of sexual abuse. The grooming was the stuff that led to the sexual abuse, according to the accusation. So The grooming isn't really the main point.

According to the allegation the grooming was a series of behaviours which were aimed at establishing “an emotional connection” with her to “lower her inhibitions with the object of sexually abusing her, which he allegedly did.

Thanks for that as i did not know, i was abroad when the story broke so i am catching up.

I expect she will need pretty cast-iron evidence so we will see, waiting nearly 60 likely not help.

I say Dylans lawyer will make a few bucks...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

The claim just don't seem plausible. TV crews and known locations reduce the plausibility to nearly zero. Not certain if such a thing happens, but the complainant or litigant will have to bring far more to the table. False claims always hang over the target of the claim, so she should better do so. This will be defended and will go nowhere. Nothing offered so far, suggests otherwise. Usually also with celebs who are revealed to the sleazes there is generally smoke rising above the hidden fires.

Advertisement