Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Selling, Swapping or Wanted Watches & Timepieces *Please read rules in 1st post**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,808 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi folks,

listed my just serviced speedmaster for sale

on adverts

cheers,

mick

Also listing my Omega Aqua Terra for sale. second time I’ve owned this reference. My first one cycling bought. This one has a recent service so a bit more expensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,149 ✭✭✭893bet

My old AT. I almost bought it back when C was selling but I had got rid of all the NATO’, leather and rubber for the watch at that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,708 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

A very nice watch indeed. @micks_address - the Rolex Explorer I is similar enough in style and not a huge step up (except of course it's a Rolex 🤣). As Fitz suggested a few days ago, I found it a bit underwhelming. And I was looking for an understated watch. Changed my mind very quickly on that, it was gone 4-5 weeks later.

Thanks I’ll see how I go with the sales. I’m not sold on anything yet. The two omega and seiko compliment each other pretty well to

• Advertisement

The AT is a watch with a lot more going for it. Better dial. And well finished movement. Lacking the history and the wrong name on the dial. I see the explorer as at best a sideways step.

39mm OP in rhodium or blue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,932 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I was actually going to post similar re: this.

If the choice for me was the AT or an Explorer? I'd keep the AT, the only downside to the AT when looking at it versus the Explorer is the lack of "Rolex" on the dial.

It's a very attractive watch IMO.

Yeah. I think most have more character than a sterile explorer. And cheaper than Subs and most datejust. 114300 easily available at 6.5k con c24 from dealers. Which means 6k might be possible.

• Advertisement

Gonna get a bit more expensive for the new 41mm ones. Not a huge fan of the double indices on the new ones. Looks cheap IMO.

In either case it’s only a stepping stone and if you buy anyway right you can sell again at little to no loss in the short terms and turn a few quid if you hold it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I recently sold my 39mm Rhodium OP for €6100 the lad that bought it then got the red 39mm for €6700 he’s going for the full set when he finds a blue .I think the new 41mm is far nicer on the wrist plus it has the 5mm extension which is a more basic version of the glidelock.

Totally agree, but the 41mm are very desirable and go for way above retail. Would love to try on the turquoise myself, but would probably like most of them. Green and navy should be very good too, a bit more conservative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

The most gorgeous watch. A lot of style and class. But most days I prefer something a little more understated and also a little slimmer. And I dont have the kind of money to keep a 3k watch in the drawer to come out once or twice a year. Sadly. But definitely the most beautiful watch I ever owned. Good luck with sale Mick. Shouldn't be a problem the condition its in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I need to liquidate my Breitling Aerospace Titanium, if anyone is interested.

Full set, outer box, inner box, hang tag and all papers, for a 2006 F75362 Aerospace Titantium two tone (gold accents). On a bullet style bracelet (one spare link) with comfort clasp, but also comes with branded Breitling black leather strap and monogrammed buckle.

€1600 to the great unwashed, €1400 to anyone of this parish. Collection in Dublin 15.

Will do up a proper ad but if anyone is interested, let me know.

Listing my G-SHOCK on adverts.. fund raising for a good cause (not a good cause)

all metal legend of steel edition

https://www.adverts.ie/24756542

Any decision yet on which Rolex the newly freed cash is going ?

Leaning towards a datejust 41mm blue dial on jubilee. Bit away yet from one. I emailed keanes the other day and they said 6 to 12 months wait for one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Yep I am very interested to see which way Mick goes on this...as a fanboi i feel no bad decisions possible....this is the classic progression an my guess is 41mm op.

• Advertisement

Blue dial models seem to be very hard to get .

I emailed Weirs and Keanes for navy dial 41 OP. Weirs haven’t answered and Keanes said “We are currently prioritising, in the first instance, those who are currently or intend to become regular clients of Keane's.”

I take that to mean how much will you spend first or a No.Either way my name didn’t get onto the “expressions of interest list “

Cheapest blue OP41 in the EU on chrono is €7500. That's not an outrageous premium over retail at €5650. Might negotiate a few hundred off too.

That’s from a private seller -

Is it safe buying from private sellers on chrono? I always assume with a dealer there’s a better chance of the deal going through without issues and normally exclude private sellers from my search

Yes it is perfectly safe to buy from a private seller on chrono24. Pay through chrono and they will keep the money in escrow. You receive the watch, bring it to the likes of Weirs if you like to verify the watch is legit (and pay them €250 of your hard earned for a tiny bit of work 😂) and when you are happy with it, let chrono know and then they will release the money to the seller.

Full ad for the 2006 40mm Breitling Aerospace Titanium now online, if anyone is interested. As mentioned, substantial discount for anyone of this parish.

Don't really want to sell this, as it was always an aspiration piece for me. However, needs must when the devil rides.

Is this really how it happens though? Do you have to tell c24 release the funds?

Or is it that the seller enters the tracking info and once it is down as delivered and signed for (is the buyer supposed to check it’s on and reject if not) that the funds are released?

I do the same as S and exclude private sales also from C24 when doing a search.

No, the whole process is managed by the system.

You advertise, the buyer contacts you. They make a bid, you can bargain and accept a bid you are happy with. Through the system, you make a binding offer with shipping. You get a notification to say funds received and in escrow.

You send the piece, and provide tracking details through the system. Buyer receives and confirms. They confirm they are happy and funds are transfered via SEPA.

I've sold two watches this way and had absolutely no hassle whatsoever. Now, one was €400 odd and the other €1200, but still good trial runs for anything of serious value.

Yeah when i bought i had to click 'delivered' on their website before the funds were released. I guess i could have taken my time and brought to a jewelers for verification but i didnt need to. The only challenges ive seen is arguments over condition - few people on tz have said they didnt get a watch in the condition advertised but that seems to be sorted out pretty quickly

Doing a clearout as I'm moving into the mancave.

Watch winder display box for winding 4 and storing / displaying an additional 6 watches

Also found a Seiko box with booklet and bracelet. I can't for the life of me remember what that was from. It could be genuine or it could have come with a fake that someone sold me. No idea. Anyway free to a good home if you can collect from me in Lucan. If anyone can see from the pictures that this is a fake, I will gladly just bin it

• Advertisement

hi folks - have an offer of 3800 on this from chrono24... id let it go for 3600 or a little less if anyone interested locally.. save on fees and postage.

That's an excellent offer fair play!

I agree @micks_address that is a great offer. Is it from Chrono24 direct or via the platform?

Private buyer banie. They don’t seem to offer the buy service in Ireland from chrono24 themselves

It’s a good offer but when you consider I was about 3k into the watch and another 600 for service it’s only breaking even.

The service on any watch is a cost of ownership Mick. It adds zero actual value other than reassuring the next buyer the watch was appropriately cared for IMHO.

I can buy a pagani for 150, pay 200 to have it serviced. Am I then the owner of a 350 watch? Is there any actual value added? I'd say no.

Similar with a car, is a recently serviced car worth more? Or is it an example of cost of ownership?

I totally agree that you should maximise your price but including servicing in your final price calculation is a little flawed I think.

• Advertisement

Service adds (near) zero value. At best it makes it easier to sell. If there is any chance you are not keeping a watch long and that you might soon sell it, do NOT spend big money on servicing.

The intention was to keep :) anyone buying a speedmaster or chrono should value a service. They are not cheap to service

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

It's the word 'only' that I question. You're doing well to not loose money, having an expectation to make some is the unrealistic bit IMO. I'm not in the market as you know so this isn't me just trying to talk you down. Hope you get a decent price, all the best.

No mechanical is really. It's a part of the hobby that comes with sticker shock. Especially on some of the higher end bits. A 3hander VC service is over 1k if you go with sending it in 😮 but it adds no value, and in some cases such as Rolex and VC where parts such as dial/hands/bezel can be replaced at the service centre, can devalue a watch.

Servicing a mechanical watch is a sunk cost of ownership that adds no value at all IMO. Yes it's great to know an owner looked after their watch but, it is part an parcel of owning one.

An omega service would have added value as the watch has no original paperwork.

But if they replaced the bezel and Crystal it would have been 1k service.

• Advertisement

If the service reconstitutes paperwork and gives a "confirmed" original watch I'd agree that it would make the watch as valuable as an Omega with original papers.

Surely no more valuable tho? And a service by a 3rd party or non Authorised service centre, whilst great and a sign of responsible ownership. Doesn't add to the sticker price of a 2nd hand sale, does it?

Serious question BTW, not meant to be rhetorical, rather that's my view and happy to learn why I'm wrong 😉

I think a 3rd party service adds a little value. But not the full cost of the service.

You are paying a little extra to get the warranty that the service provides to the new owner.

ok so i didnt get the service to increase sales potential. when i serviced i supplied an oem crystal and bezel which was fitted. 1k sounds about right if omega were to do it. Intention was and might still end up being was to have a mint serviced speedmaster in as new condition. Its easy saying its only worth 3k but go try and find one for less than 3500 with a service and box and its not that easy either. One did sell on adverts a while back for 3k but the buyer basically said it needed a service.. i believe a local bought it :)

reality is id be better off keeping the speedmaster rather than selling and loosing money so that might be the best plan. if i can sell for close to what i have in it then it makes it a little easier. I know if i want an example as good as it again id have to pay north of 4k

Extended warranty via a service centre service is of course appreciated, but it wouldn't justify a higher price for me

But, if one feels it offers scope for a higher price on a private sale? Surely then it's as easy for the buyer to use a pro-dealer and have the additional security that comes with that?

I'd like it 2nd hand cars, if the manufacturer's warranty is out and it matters to you? You buy from a dealer.

In Mick's case, pricey service and bezel and crystal replacement with original parts but by a 3rd party (it was via watchfix wasn't it Mick?). No reconstituted paperwork/history and no added value versus similar watches with a "fullest" IMHO.

Now I feel like I'm trying to **** on a sale, or argue with a value. I'm not and Mick I am sorry if it comes across that way. The market will of course set the price,and I'm sure with whatever offers you've received via adverts and Chrono24 have given you a ballpark?

The chrono fee is @ 6%, you've listed on adverts for 3600. The difference comes out to 28 on the bottom line. The chrono24 offer of 3800 v boards asking of 3600, would give a commission of 228. Leaving 28 in the difference plus the work of shipping.

Is there a few quid more to be squeezed out of the chrono24 offer to meet that gap?

Im in no rush to sell. It’s only on chrono24 few hours so I’ll sit tight a while. I’d be happier selling locally as there’s no international shipping to worry about and time delay on payment etc

In fairness, if someone local buys it? They are getting a thoroughly rejuvenated watch at a fair price 😉

And if it's only up a few hours you may as well leave it a while and see if you get closer to your asking there. That would/should cover the costs of the deal there.

GLWS wherever you sell it 👍

Yeah that's it - ideal situation is i can convince myself i don't need to sell to fund the next purchase.. im not looking to make money but doesnt make sense to loose either if you don't need to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Mick I bought the same generation perfect condition Speedmaster box and papers for under 3k on adverts a month ago and sold it as part of a trade for about 100 euro profit (was a deal sweetener). 3800 is a legendary offer on a naked watch. Have to agree with comments a 3rd party service adds basically nothing. Sure if you are keeping the watch its good to know its serviced, but a Watchfix.ie receipt is no reassurance really (I am sure Chris does a very fine job) but having Omega papers and service would have actually added the value. Service papers are often better than original as they add warranty and they give a more recent indication of authenticity. But again a receipt from watchfix doesn't do this in the eyes of a buyer.

Take the 3800 and run :)

Watch winder sold, still have the free Seiko box / bracelet

€3800 seems very good . If I was selling my big box version which is 2016 and very near mint , I would list at €4200 and take anything over €3800

• Advertisement
Advertisement