Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour alerts, WhatsApp or other systems?

Options
  • 31-08-2021 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,010 ✭✭✭✭

I live in, and am a director of, a development of just over 80 homes and we've been trying to work out the best way to alert people of utility issues eg water shut offs, security issues etc without having a free for all area WhatsApp which can go totally off the rails and everyone has everyone's number.

Unfortunately, even of the neighbours I know, only half have Facebook accounts so a group won't work. Are there any other systems people use? Ideally we'd like an app that does push notifications but then that requires someone to take ownership and is really not practical.

What do other developments use? For example, sharing the news of an attempted break or dodgy characters in the area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭xabi

Telegram

• Registered Users Posts: 10,010 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Doesn't that have the same issues where everyone can see everyone's number?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

just use Whatsapp, they have a feature where only admins can post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

There’s an app called BAND.

look into it. It’s handy for setting up groups and stuff I find it fairly user friendly as well.

alternative would be discord but maybe BAND is more user friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭xabi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

We have a text alert system. This makes sure that even the people without smart phones get the notifications. There is also no option to reply and no recipient can see who else gets the alert. Only downside is that you have to buy text bundles in advance.

The company we use is called Send Mode. I'm sure there are others too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭KaneToad

We use this for local sports club. The messages are broadcast and can't be responded to. Works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,010 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I hadn't thought of discord though I'm in a group from an online forum on there.

We don't want an admin only broadcast system, a break in could happen to any resident so we want people to be able to share to the group, just not able to see numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

So the person messages the admin and they post it.

the other stuff is just messing because 80 people aren’t going to a want to die LUAS telegram, discord etc

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If you want the neighbours to actually engage then WhatsApp (for more immediate alerts) and Facebook groups (for general info / notices) are the best options. If you go with some obscure other system or app then you will find a lot of people won't bother.

Not being able to see the phone numbers of neighbours seems like an odd restriction to impose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭irelandrover

We just use whatsapp. We have 2 seperate groups, one for all the random neighbourhood chat, and one for emergencies.

It works well as I just mute the chat group but its there if i need it, and the emergency one is on but is really only used for emergencies.

Since its voluntary to join i really dont see the issue with my neighbours seeing my number. They already know where i live.

Advertisement