Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long term holding shares

Options
  • 06-08-2021 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

I'm planning to buy in a couple of quality shares to hold them in long term, for example 5-10 yrs (or longer), any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Are you looking for suggestions of what to pick or suggestions if it's a good idea? Probably an all-world ETF is the easiest and very diversified, although some might have some suggestions for investment trusts which are popular too. For individual shares, who knows 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Can't go wrong with the FAANG stocks really, if you want to be a bit more adventurous, something like AirBnB is something I think will be masssive in our lives in 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭dublin2000

Yep, looking for suggestions, I've had an eye on Apple last year but for different reasons I didn't buy in, but I'm now not sure if it will be the one has long term value in 10 yrs time. I'm also going to look at buy in some ETFs, want to hold 1-2 good shares on top of this in hoping those shares might be over run the ETFs in return, but I might be too naive!

Thanks for your suggestion! AirBnB could be a good one with the pandemic impact. I for one used to prefer Hotels rather than AirBnB but nowadays I would actually prefer AirBnB that i have less shared space with other people.

Yeah the FAANG stocks are always a good start, most total stock market ETFs will mainly comprise of these and there's a reason they're at the top.

I wouldn't be so bullish on airbnb though (just my opinion). Regulations in a lot of cities makes it more difficult for them to set up nowadays. It's also got very expensive the last few times I've used it with lots of cleaning/booking fees added. Not to mention the impact decentralized versions would have on the airbnb/uber models.

OP for individual shares, you'll get a lot of varying opinions. Pick ones you know and like, and still think will be around in 20 years time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Why not buy an investment trust?, far less risky, Scottish Mortgage Trust (SMT) being the golden child in that space for the last 10 years.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Thanks for your suggestion, I'm pretty new hearing investment trust, will do some research on it so at least i understand the nature of the investment and models etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Intel/$INTC, Alibaba/$BABA, AirBNB/$ABNB are 3 I would look at.

All currently undervalued (ABNB not as much but new to market) and have potential to grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Sea Limited, Microsoft, Shopify, Tesla and a 10x opportunity in Upstart Holdings.

The first four are 50% or so of my portfolio - I’ll be holding these for the next 10 years.

Hard to tell what the world will look like in 10 years but that seems like a solid list. SE, SHOP and TSLA are 3 of my biggest gainers, while MSFT makes up 5% of my main ETF so I actually have more with them. Love your conviction but they're more like 5% of mine than 50%!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

SE($66)Tesla($50 post split),Shop ($200) rapidly grew into these positions. I’m slowly working in other positions, so over time their concentration levels in my portfolio will know doubt fall. I tend not to sell and buy for the #long, quality and occasional future stocks.

crowdstrike, square, nvida, asml, pins, Datadog, Fastly, Airbnb, Appian, fubo, tradedesk, teledoc, invitae, lemonade, unity, Skillz, sofi, twilio

Lots of the pandemic favourites there, I owned about half the names from that list, and TTD and SQ are still some of my bigger holdings. I found they were all too closely correlated though and mainly rose and fell at the same time, so I ditched a lot of them earlier in the summer to move into different assets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭p to the e

The semi conductor industry is on a tear at the moment and most likely won't change in the short medium term. It's going to take a long time for competitors to catch up. TSMC, ASML, INTC all good picks. Lots of smaller companies in the industry also. Alternatively if you buy Square, PayPal, MasterCard and Visa you've covered a huge percentage of payment methods on the planet and shouldn't be disappointed.

Advertisement