Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rights to see niece/nephew?

Options
  • 29-08-2021 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi has anyone been successful in obtaining rights to see your niece/nephew?? Was it a long process? Thanks.

Comments

I would assume that the only people with rights to see children are their parents legally speaking. Otherwise it is surely at the discretion of the parents ? If the parents are unfit guardians then I assume family would be considered as possible guardians after vetting by Tusla. I would be curious to know if my assimption is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 HappyFeet35

No, grandparents and aunts/uncles can apply for access. It's not an issue with the parenting, had a falling out with sister in law and she's being extremely vindictive and not allowing us to see the kids, it would be more for the benefit of my kids to see their cousins. Refusing to communicate to try and sort it amicably.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

reading this (assuming it's what you're referring to), i think there has to be a specific reason - 'in certain circumstances' suggests that they will do it for the child's sake, they will not take your kids interests into play here which seems to be your concern. the court will not be long showing you the door in this case i suspect.

also, whatever chance you have of restoring relations will be blown out of the water if you go to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Wouldn't it be best to let her decide if she wants her kids to mix with your family?

I understand it might benefit YOUR kids, but their parent obviously has issues with you. Why would you force that? Surely, over the long term, it would cause huge distress to the other kids parent and indirectly to their kids to be forced to spend time with you/your kids?

of course, if you think the other kids are being mistreated, absolutely intervention, but this is just for social benefit which can easily be replaced by other friends/cousins?

I think access is granted when there is neglected/guardian ship issues. Not social engagement etc. A grand parent may be viewed as a important figure in the kids life, but a cousins would be seen as very optional i think.

I would agree with @manonboard Are you not just going to create a heap of tension and agro in that household?

I understand that you’d like your kids to see them but plenty of cousins rarely and sometimes never see each other.

Sure if you’ve fallen out with her either let it cool off for a while, apologise ( depending on the situation) and maybe try to resolve it later. I’d explain to the kids that adults fall out sometimes and unfortunately that will make it difficult for them to see their cousins for a while.

• Advertisement
Advertisement