Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jet Get Radio!!!! post here when you get something new!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Cheers for the reminder - I've been searching around on the topic already, unsure if it just causes glitching or damage - the console is an early unit so takes a center negative 5V PSU so I've ordered up a 3A version which should have buffer for more draw. As of right now, its being powered via a funky AES->JAMMA board with 5V being connected directly to pads around the power switch 'as standard' when I got it :D Have some RAM to replace on the board before I can really test it out.

Update: The cart does have a '2018' version note on it, surely thats not just a label update from our Chinese friends but a real PCB update? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

Anyone have dealings with customs seemingly randomly picking a price for an item to try get more vat off you, have a box being held just has two gamecubes japanese with few games, label on the box shows the prices I paid and postage costs.

I have updated customs with the paypal statement and pictures of the auctions to verify that the prices listed on the package are the actual prices I paid etc.

Was chatting with them on the phone and they said they are awaiting an updated price list and similar items that have come in before they can give me an answer on if they will be charging more vat or not, chap on the phone seems to have been looking the prices up on ebay and quoting buy it now pal version prices on the games / consoles, when I explained to him there is a difference in price between pal systems/games and jap system/games, fobbed me off and said this is how its done which I don't believe.

I tried to get through to a more senior person but was told non available at the minute, do I just bite my tongue and pay what they say or is there anything more I can do if I dont accept the extra vat they want me to pay.

After posting I realised this is more for general thread than new gets, apologies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,938 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They have to charge you customs on what you paid. Anything else is fraud of their part. Don't give an inch. You provided proof of what you paid. Checking prices on ebay is like charging VAT on the full price of an item when you bought it at discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

Yeah I forwarded all info, exact paypal payments, the matching auctions from yahoo, receipts from the proxy site, just waiting on a call back from a more senior customs official to go through this with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Can you ignore something from customs? The GF had something arrive from AliExpress that has 30 cent VAT or something but the AnPost charge means it's not worth it and she has no interest in getting it. That will be the end of random AliExpress packages in our house now!

• Advertisement

What happens if I don’t pay the Customs Charge by the “pay by date”?

If the Customs Charge is not paid by the “pay by date” the item will be returned to the sender.

https://www.anpost.com/customs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I got Aconcagua on PS1 and the first two volumes of the Forbidden Siren 2 manga

Not photographed some Sailor Moon stuff lol

These seem like a good idea considering the state of things at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,836 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Dropped in the door yesterday, but not had a chance to test drive it. Have seen a few casual mentions of issues with certain titles....par for the course with these things...which will probably be addressed with firmware updates. Similar issues were there with the SSDS3 not to mention the numerous other ODEs/Flashcarts. Be interesting to test out the Supergrafx functionality on a normal PCE, so must dig it out whenever I get a chance to try it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Picked this up on ebay earlier in the week; box is in really good condition considering it is cardboard rather than the usual plastic hard-case offering for most Sega Megadrive titles. Even came with a box protector which was nice. Only downside is the manual being in French but a) I can read & speak French, b) it's a platform game so it's not going to be super complex requiring a manual to explain, and c) in any case, I am familiar with the game from its C64 incarnation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have no french, but can use Google Translate like a pro!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

A pretty depressing haul over the week. First time I've bought anything retro-related in a long time. The games are whatever, but hey, the more the merrier... eh? .... 😭

Pet hate about buying used games is the non-inclusion of manuals. I have never understood the notion of throwing away anything the game comes with. I can proudly say that every game I ever bought new in my life has never had a manual go missing. Wear and tear, absolutely, but it's still in the box. That being said I really need to find a fresh manual for Flashback - mines is almost destroyed.

This is also the first time I've bought a loose Mega Drive game and I don't like it 😑

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

@Gamer Bhoy 89 wrote:

Pet hate about buying used games is the non-inclusion of manuals. I have never understood the notion of throwing away anything the game comes with. I can proudly say that every game I ever bought new in my life has never had a manual go missing. Wear and tear, absolutely, but it's still in the box. That being said I really need to find a fresh manual for Flashback - mines is almost destroyed.

This is also the first time I've bought a loose Mega Drive game and I don't like it 😑

Totally agree with you there. I am really picky about what games I pick up, doubly so since the prices of games have gone mental over the course of the Covid pandemic. I take a dim view of being asked to part with what was the RRP price for a game back in the day and all that is on offer is a loose cartridge. That view gets even more dim when the asking price is in notably in excess of the original RRP price and it's not a complete game (i.e. box + manual included) and in reasonably good condition.

It's pure greed when you see people asking for triple digits for a loose cartridge, or even worse ... that absolute plank in UAE asking for £6k for a copy of Darxide for the Sega 32X because someone in the UK once put up a pristine copy that they got signed by the original developer at a conference talk for similar asking price. Needless to say the UAE advert has been languishing for a couple of years now (pre-Covid) and whilst admittedly appears to be in very good condition but not mint, spectacularly misses the point of why the other person might have asked for such a high price (even if it was still bonkers from a collectors point of view).

The only time I'll buy a game without a manual is if a complete version is significantly more expensive. My copies of Moonwalker and Splatterhouse 2 on the Mega Drive are missing manuals but were a steal compared to complete copies, although looking back those are games I'd like to have complete.

I hate listings that are just box art and little to no description so I don't know if it has a manual or not.

Post edited by DaveyDave on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,938 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah I'm looking forward to giving it a go myself - heard good things.

Two new arrivals today. Bubsy, understandably bad, is a game I'm nostalgic for - used to rent it a lot as a child. The box is in pretty **** nick, as is the cartridge, but it's CIB at least (and it's gonna be hard to get a replacement box as it's an Accolade title, their boxes are one of the weird unique ones like EA or Codemasters).

SEGUE! 😂

I've always wanted a copy of Super Skidmarks for years. I have held off on playing it on anything just so I could have the push to buy it. It's basically Micro Machines if it had intimate relations with RC Pro-Am (at least from the screenshots and clips I've seen). Some of the same sound effects from MM are even in here. It's a Codemasters racing game; it's never gonna be bad to me. I love their racing titles. This one was also CIB and is in much better condition than that other eejit it's sitting next to. Also, the J-cart, what a daft, but brilliant, invention 😂

Super Skidmarks! The sequel to Skidmarks on the Amiga, looks like that was only released on the Amiga's and Mega Drive. Great games, I would rate it above Micro Machines because of the '3D'ness (thats a word right?)

Grabbed these cheap off eBay. Got them from the Netherlands hoping to avoid all the Brexit crap but unfortunately the first game is only in French/Dutch. They're from a store selling multiple copies so the images didn't make it clear, just something I'll have to keep an eye out. Good thing I have the hard drive :)

Edit: can't remove a duplicate image on mobile...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Full throttle....did the first game only have partial throttle?

• Advertisement

New grabs this past week.

Managed to get myself an insert for my loose copy of Tiny Toons. I already had an aftermarket blank case so that was convenient. All I need now is a manual. Finally I can sit it with the rest of them.

I also bought NHL93 after realising I was missing it from my collection of NHL games on the MD.

And finally, I managed to get a sealed copy of ISS Deluxe.

I don't know if it's factory-sealed (the seller seems to be selling a few of these sealed copies) but it looks brand new just by looking at it up close. Not a mark on it - nothing out of place. If this is used, then they've definitely fooled me. I won't be opening it to find out anyway.

I know I'm a broken record. I can't edit my previous post so I can avoid double-posting (thanks new layout).

Grabbed these at a boot sale lately. Disappointing I know but hey, I didn't wanna leave empty handed. The controller is busted (D-pad is wobbly as hell and barely responsive) and the memory card doesn't work lol. But the other two games work fine but I think I'll have to grab cleaner copies (or replacement cases/inlays/manuals, whichever's cheapest) in future.

Also grabbed this out of CEX while I was on my lunch break. Surprisingly good condition.

Saw a good few titles on The Rage's website so thought I'd go in and have a look, lots of window shopping potential with cheap games I've never played but unfortunately most of them were missing manuals, I had about 15 games in mind. Was hoping to pick up the likes of Galaxy Force 2, Space Harrier etc.

Very little selection on the shelves, their website isn't always accurate but I saw some games pop up and sell out so I asked and most of the stuff is in boxes behind the til due to space. It was a bit awkward with them bringing boxes out one by one and me checking for manuals but they were sound about it.

Still, nice to go and have a browse and pick up some random games.

There are a couple of games on Dreamcast I wish I played growing up instead of their PS1 counterparts, WWF Attitude being one of them. That game looks much better on the DC. I also have a copy of Ready 2 Rumble which looks nice and sharp when playing off a VGA output. Sadly WWF Attitude isn't VGA compatible.

Unless it requires the console to be flashed/modded, I couldn't find a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

New all over again. My parents are leaning hard on me to clear the stuff I have in their attic so it's Dreamcast time. (And a modded OG Xbox, but the games are nowhere to be found).

I'm surprised at how much of their stuff is beat up in general compared to eBay. Window shopping generally doesn't disappoint but it's a game you want then it seems there's a 90% chance it's missing a manual or in rough shape and you'll be leaving empty handed.

I was even willing to spend €60 on Night Warriors Darkstalkers Revenge on the Saturn because of how little I was getting but even that was missing a manual. Probably for the best that Tech Romancer or Gigawing were outside my window shopping budget.

Still, the prices are pretty good and there's a decent selection. Funny enough the stuff missing manuals was mostly pretty good condition.

You're more than welcome to store them in my attic. 25m² of of dry, ventilated storage space. You just might not get it back...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Inviere

Advertisement